Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Still Have Stuff From W*rk Days?
No - that was in the past 16 21.33%
Yes - for sentimental or other reasons 44 58.67%
Yes - just in case I make a comeback 6 8.00%
Other 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I confess, though I've been FIRE'd for over three years, I still haven't parted from a few w*rk items.
How about you?
When I retired from active duty I absconded with a WHOLE BOX of Skilcraft "U.S. Government" official black-ink ballpoint pens. A decade later we're still using one of them.

Whew. Hope the statute of limitations has expired. It feels good to get that one off my chest.

I also kept all my certificates (in clear plastic document sleeves) and a couple crucial sets of paperwork (like my retirement orders). I pried the brass plates off my plaques and gave the plaques back to the command's plaque custodians. The brass plates went onto a desk pen-set base that's slowly corroding away in the Hawaii humidity, so I'm probably going to have to come up with another display option.

Neither my spouse nor me wanted a shadowbox. My father made custom swordcases for my spouse and me back in 1982-83 (modeled on the swordcases in John Paul Jones' crypt at USNA), so those are displayed on our wall. (Our swords & cases, not JPJ.) In about 21 months our daughter is going to have to choose which one of our swords she wants to lug around for a few years.

I got rid of all my uniforms when I retired. Last month I got rid of the last of my civilian suit jackets, long-sleeved shirts, and neckties.

I just gave my daughter my ballistic missile submarine deterrent patrol pins (she'll have to add her own stars later). I'm saving my gold dolphins for her if she someday wants those too...

Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Flow-chart template? I not only have that, I still have my SLIDERULE.
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
Last winter I gave my last (favorite) sliderule to my son. He gave a chuckle.
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Still have my Keuffel & Esser mahogony slide rule sitting in drawer. Not sure I can remember how to use it though. That and a few old HP calculators may find their way onto ebay.
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My dad tried to give me his slide rules - I refused. I did help him list them as a lot on ebay.
I have THREE sliderules handed down from two earlier generations of Nords engineers. Watch for me soon on "Antiques Roadshow" or "Pawn Stars"!

I also have my c.1981 TI-55 III calculator. Luckily I've memorized what's on each of the buttons, because their labels have worn off...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
Still working but I have been thinning the pack of stuff. I have jettisonned the awards, letters, etc. When I leave, I am afraid to me that chapter is closed, kinda like leaving HS or college.
Funny with all the company shirts, pullovers, & jackets I have been given, like college I never purchased one myself.

Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote