Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Still Have Stuff From W*rk Days?
No - that was in the past 16 21.33%
Yes - for sentimental or other reasons 44 58.67%
Yes - just in case I make a comeback 6 8.00%
Other 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do You Still Have Stuff From W*rk Days?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Do You Still Have Stuff From W*rk Days?

I confess, though I've been FIRE'd for over three years, I still haven't parted from a few w*rk items.

No, I don't mean a company badge or key, but stuff like a couple of textbooks that I bought while in college and my trusty flow-chart template that served me well in college and my work.

Why I still keep them? Maybe it's sentimental reason? Or maybe it's "just in case?"

How about you?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I still have some stuff, but I haven't looked at any of it in over a year. It will probably end up in the trash, but for now it's on an unused out of the way shelf, so why not. I've been happily decluttering for several years, but there's still plenty of stuff I could just throw away if I needed the space. If/when we move, none of it will make the trip.

If I go back to work one day hopefully it'll be a completely different line of work, so the old stuff won't be of any use. If I wanted to delve into that stuff, I wouldn't have left to begin with...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Way too many neckties and suits. Been thinking of sticking them in a consignment store, but I can't get up enough motivation to get that done. So they continue to hang...the suits/ties that is.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I purged a lot of my work stuff when I downsized earlier this year. I have kept my diplomas and a bound copy of my PhD dissertation. I may also have a few work files buried somewhere in my computer, but I think that's it. Everything else (books, molecular models, lab coats, papers, presentations, prototypes, etc...) has been discarded.

Even if I needed the money, I would never go back to doing what I used to do. Not that it was so bad, but it's a chapter of my life that is closed.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Administrator

Of course I do! I spent a huge chunk of my life at work. I have kept a lot of stuff for sentimental reasons, and a lot more "just because".

My upper left desk drawer is full of ego related mementos, and when I feel glum and like I never accomplished anything I can look in there and fool myself for a little while.

I also have a big sack of papers related to the retirement process and documenting everything, in the back of a closet. My awards and training certificates are in there, too. So, if they ever come back to me and say "oops, our mistake, you really didn't qualify to retire" or some such thing, I can prove that I earned and deserve my teeny-tiny pension and met the qualifications to retire. Not likely, but then I am a worrier by nature.

I have about three shelves of old oceanography books, including copies of my Ph.D dissertation and other publications that I wrote or co-authored. I did give away most of the old books and all of the old journals to a science library, though. When decluttering I threw out my class notes dating back 45 years (I had kept all of them so that was hard to do, but I am happy to say that I don't miss them).

Flow-chart template? I not only have that, I still have my SLIDERULE.

For security reasons I couldn't keep my badge, and surrendering it on my way out of the building, on my last day of work, was the only time during the retirement process that I wept a little. Got over that fast, though. I have NO work clothes suitable for a formal meeting any more.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My co was big on logo'd handouts: hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, golf stuff, etc etc. Got a draw full! Plus, sentimental stuff....33 years, you build up a lot of sentiment (and stuff)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #7

Although I got rid of most of the contents of several boxes of w*rk stuff recently while remodeling a closet, I kept a few things: a couple of notebooks of training material, writing portfolios with logo (they still come in handy), some interesting articles I had clipped and filed, etc.

Oh, and my souvenir IBM 2314 disk platter, salvaged from a piece of 1970s-era equipment I decommissioned in 1991. Bigger than an LP, held about 2mb of data. My how things have changed.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
(snip)My co was big on logo'd handouts: hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, golf stuff, etc etc.
Mine too. Seems like the only thing I didn't get was co logo underwear.

Add to that..pens, books, drinking glasses...

I finally threw away my reviews, certificates, awards and recommendations. I do still have my resume on my puter tho.

The things I enjoy the most are pics I've taken over the years at co functions. I made a lot of great friends and we still keep in touch. I have a few presents that were given to me by coworkers and my direct reports. ....this is one of my favorites...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03819.jpg (499.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have a box of junk in the garage I haven't looked at in years. I also realized I still have a photo ID in my wallet that identifies me as a "Federal Emergency Response Official" but it expired three years ago.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #10

I have some textbooks from college but I don't consider them "work" items, per se.

I do have some freebie and other items from my work days. One is a handy tote bag I still use often today. Just because it has my old company logo on doesn't mean it isn't useful. I even have an old yo-yo my company gave out in the 1990s. I might still have an old coffee mug around somewhere with the cmpany logo from when we moved from Manhattan to Jersey City back in 2001.

In my final weeks, I took home a lot of scrap paper I generated because I can print on the other (blank) side if I am using it only for my own in-home stuff. I must have taken home at least 1,000 sheets and am still working them down. I have some reformatted blank floppy diskettes which were handy with backing up small files before I had a PC which had a CD-W drive and before thumb drives came out. My current PC doesn't even have a floppy drive.

My company got rid of its jacket-and-tie dress code back in 1998, so I have not worn the formal attire much in the last 14 years, other than weddings and funerals and wakes.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #11

Left my suits hanging in a closet in Riyadh.......all I have is my name, in English & Arabic, on a plastic desktop nameplate.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

When I retired I stopped wearing a watch and jewelry (except for my jade pendant & earrings), I gave away all but 3 of my ties and dress shirts (which probably don't fit now). I don't own any more suits or sportjackets and have just 1 pair of dress slacks. I also stopped getting hair cuts. I think I kept my made in Korea wooden desktop nameplate. I also kept a business card holder that I used for doctors, etc. business cards.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #13

I had a fair amount of stuff. Awards and achievement stuff, some group photos. These things have sentimental value and represent the many positive aspects of my 25 year relationship with mega-corp. Also lots of financial and legal documents covering the last 3 or 4 years of my employment which I kept for tax purposes.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I voted "other".

I think I have some of the old awards and stuff in a box up in the attic somewhere. I do have a bunch of old logo shirts I wear for yard work and oil changes...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #15

Other:
College diploma, Swimming medals/trophies, Army Commission and Discharge, and still, "indefinite" ID card, US Army Inf.
Not much from 30 years of District and Nat'l Retail management. (11 household moves). Two biggest nat'l retailers.
Until last year... had full file cabinet of records from my own business... '86 to '89. (Was afraid of IRS).
And... folders, notebooks and endless spreadsheets... (plans for retirement).

Interesting thread.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Way too many neckties and suits. Been thinking of sticking them in a consignment store, but I can't get up enough motivation to get that done. So they continue to hang...the suits/ties that is.
I still have a couple suits, probably (I know) don't fit , but I'll keep them anyway. You know the only thing that changes in men's style is the width of the ties.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #17

Yes. The desire to not work.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I still have a few business cards. But that's about it.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I voted other. Katrina took care of everything plus saving on moving expenses.

Books, Sliderules - straight and circular, TI 30, suits, ties, awards, pictures, etc.

Heh heh heh - I did send away and replace my College Degree - go Huskies.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #20

Not much. lost weight so the suits went. Couple of ties that I never wear. maybe a few business cards to remind me what a "big shot" I was. Lot's of documentation re my retirement/pension, to make sure I get what they promised. Been 6 years and work memories are really starting to fade.