Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Still Take a Paid Daily Newspaper?
We/I take a paid newspaper daily. 77 37.93%
We/I take a Sunday paper only. 13 6.40%
We don’t take any paid newspapers. 113 55.67%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wife gets/reads the paper. I sometimes catch the local news on tv.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #42
gone traveling

I love a physical paper. i subscribe to WSJ, the local and regional paper. occasionally will add or subtract a sub. Nothing beats the physical paper. Expensive and trash are regional rag is!
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I find it funny that people tend to get all worked up over the national news when it's state, county and municipal governments that tend to have the greatest impact on Americans' lives. Of course, local TV news focuses on car crashes and shootouts -- government seldom gets much attention.

That's why I get my local paper. It's far from perfect; in fact, it's not very good. But if something is going down locally that's likely to affect my life on an ongoing basis, I get a little warning. From there I can check the situation out on my own. School referendums, small-scale misfeasance or malfeasance are things that could affect my vote in an upcoming election.

Even the obituaries -- I have to admit it's the first thing I check every day at this point in my life.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
If you can edit the poll, you may want to do that. (Try to edit your initial post that started the thread, maybe?)
You can’t edit a poll that I know of, and I’d already edited the OP...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:10 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Voted "We/I take a paid newspaper daily." before I saw your clarification.

We have a digital only paid subscription to our local newspaper.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I find it funny that people tend to get all worked up over the national news when it's state, county and municipal governments that tend to have the greatest impact on Americans' lives. Of course, local TV news focuses on car crashes and shootouts -- government seldom gets much attention.

That's why I get my local paper. It's far from perfect; in fact, it's not very good. But if something is going down locally that's likely to affect my life on an ongoing basis, I get a little warning. From there I can check the situation out on my own. School referendums, small-scale misfeasance or malfeasance are things that could affect my vote in an upcoming election.

Even the obituaries -- I have to admit it's the first thing I check every day at this point in my life.
I also subscribe to the local paper, for the same reason. Local governance has a greater impact on our day to day lives, and I appreciate (and am willing to pay for) the coverage they provide and would be hard pressed to find it elsewhere.

I'm not into the obits - yet.

I think newspapers are a bargain and easily among the best values to be found today.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You can’t edit a poll that I know of, and I’d already edited the OP...
Try asking a Mod or Admin if they can make the changes you want. I'm no longer in either of those categories, but it seems to me like I was able to do that way back when....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:52 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I voted no. However, I do have digital subscriptions to both the NYT and the Washington Post neither of which is local for me.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #49

We still get a physical paper, but may stop the weekday subscription in the spring.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

No. It's unfortunate- our city paper did some really good investigative journalism and we wanted to support that- but the physical paper kept getting thinner and thinner and they kept cutting parts we liked (the Personal Finance section on Sunday). The final straw was 2 years ago when they delivered it only about half the time. I started buying it at the store on Sunday but when I pulled out all the ads there was very little left.

I read whatever is free on-line and supplement with podcasts.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:38 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I used to get a physical paper but deliverey was horrible no matter how much I complained. Switched to digital for 7/month versus 30. I voted yes also.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #52
Administrator

We take the local paper daily, although the young wife usually ends up reading it on her tablet. I prefer to read the actual paper version that lands on our front walk every morning. After reading it, the paper has myriad other uses, too.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

I have never had a subscription for a daily newspaper - print or digital. I did have the local weekly newspaper for a few months once. If I ever get a newspaper subscription again, it will be digital. But i don’t think it will happen.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I get a hard copy newspaper Thursday thru Sunday which allows access to an e-edition for the entire week. I pretty much take the Sunday paper for the craft coupons and the other days for the obituaries.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

New York Times on line.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #56

Used to deliver them but haven't had one delivered for many years. Still like the feel.

DW has an electronic subscription to the NY Times.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:13 PM   #57

Been reading the paper online for nearly 20 years now.

Printed newspapers: yesterday's news today!
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:07 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Been reading the paper online for nearly 20 years now.

Printed newspapers: yesterday's news today!
That’s another reason we don’t take a paper newspaper. News appears online in minutes more often than not...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:19 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I subscribe to the "daily" paper, but it only delivers 3 days a week. I only read the hard copy. It is my main source of news on the state level. National I mainly get on TV/online, and international from The Economist.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I get a copy of the Washington Post delivered daily. I like to page through a physical paper while I drink my coffee. I read it electronically on an iPad when I travel but, even there, I select the print view. I just like newspapers. My parents got three Chicago dailies while they were available.