Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Still Take a Paid Daily Newspaper?
We/I take a paid newspaper daily. 77 37.93%
We/I take a Sunday paper only. 13 6.40%
We don’t take any paid newspapers. 113 55.67%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do You Still Take a Daily Newspaper?
Old 09-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Do You Still Take a Daily Newspaper?

We stopped actual paper newspapers at least 15 years ago, but some/many of our similar age friends and neighbors still take the local (population 30K) and/or Chicago paper (Sun only). I’d much rather get news online, streaming and TV so papers haven’t made sense to us for a long time, not to mention the environmental issues with all that paper and distribution.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #2

Depends on how you look at it.
I still get the daily local paper and the WSJ, but both are digital only, read on the iPad.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don’t receive a physical newspaper, but do subscribe to a digital version of a national daily. Seems the best of both worlds to me: no trees get killed, I’m not limited in the number of their articles I can read per month, and the money helps support their reporting.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

No, haven’t subscribed to any newspaper for about 15 years. We used to get a Sunday paper, but they rarely were read so we canceled it.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
Administrator

I understood the poll question as "do you have a paid subscription" and not "do you get a printed newspaper delivered to your home".
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I get two papers delivered daily
Old 09-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The local rag (full of flyers) gets thrown in the ditch in front of our house once a week.

Ahhh... journalism.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

When I was working full-time, I bought a newspaper a few days a week to read on the train and during lunch. That gradually faded away when I switched to working part-time in 2001.

As part of the recent change to a new cable-TV/phone/internet provider, I got free access to my local newspaper's website. But the deal between the provider and the newspaper is ending next week. I was able to get an extension of the free online access to the newspaper through the end of 2018, but after that I will lose the free access which is not a big deal (and I surely won't want to pay for it). I'll be back to where I was before I had changed providers 2 years ago. The provider owns the local cable TV news station, so I will retain free access to that local news source's website (despite its increase in annoying ads and popups).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #9

It's been maybe 20 years since I bought a local newspaper. I don't think it is even worthy to use as a liner for a bird cage. About 35 years ago when the paper had more pages and cost a dime I used it with grass clippings as mulch for my garden.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We have an online subscription to the Chicago Tribune but delivery of a real newspaper on Sunday. It’s $10 a month. Sonetimes I want in-depth reporting and analysis by dedicated journalists about an event vs the list of facts or a random blogger’s clickbait opinions, and I don’r mind paying for that.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I understood the poll question as "do you have a paid subscription" and not "do you get a printed newspaper delivered to your home".
I didn't vote because I’m not sure which the OP means. Overthinking it, I know
Old 09-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't read a subscribed paper anymore. The news I get is online.

I do the dance trying to read articles but some papers want me to register or subscribe so I look for the freebie ones that don't pester.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #13

I don't receive a daily paper. However....Mrs Scrapr gets the local. Which allows me to read it online. For over 25 years I got the WSJ. Then the subscription price went way up & I dropped it. I picked one up in a hotel this weekend and really enjoyed it. But I'm not going to pay for it. I just dropped the NYT online after the offer period ended & doubled the price. I'm on the lookout. Perhaps the WaPo....but I'm not a Bezos/Amazon fan. I guess I'm a free agent
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #14

Get a daily paper. Enjoy reading the in depth articles with a cup of Joe every morning. Can usually find one or two coupons that cover the cost.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Our "local" newspaper is published weekly around here and we buy a copy two or three times a year, whenever the headlines catch my eye. It's only about 10 or 12 pages (and about half of that are adds) so it doesn't take long to read. I've often wondered how they stay in business. The town is less than 1000 people and I doubt that there are another 500 within a 5 mile radius of the town limits. At 50 cents a copy even if 1/2 the population bought a copy each week that's not much money. Maybe they survive because of the revenue from the adds.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Since it talked about a "daily" paper, I assumed it meant a physical paper, so I said no, even though I pay for digital access to the NY Times and have free full digital access to the Washington Post (which I would pay for if I didn't).
Old 09-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #17

No paper in our driveway, but we do have a digital subscription to the local paper and WaPo.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Rex Morgan, MD? Judge Parker? Give me a break!
Old 09-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #18

Rex Morgan, MD? Judge Parker? Give me a break!

The best part of the local newspaper was the comics page. But they kept screwing with that section and eliminating the funny ones so we canceled our subscription.

Print newspapers have been in a steady decline, but they aren't doing themselves any favors by economizing on the only part of their product worth paying for.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #19

Sunday paper for the local ads and local regional news.
TV for the national and regional news.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sorry I meant physical/hard copy for the poll...
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote