Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you wear a watch?
Yes 105 43.57%
No 136 56.43%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is this market research for apple?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just say no to unsightly wrist tanlines!

Despite several training efforts by my parents (disguised as presents in my teens and early 20s) I've never worn a watch with any regularity and stopped entirely a good 35 years ago.

Of course it helps that I have an odd knack for always knowing the correct time within about 10 minutes with or without a watch. I'm hoping that I can shed this ability (or at least reduce its accuracy) once RE begins.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Polls like this are hilarious to me when I think of how frequently people without watches ask me what time it is. Sometimes I feel like responding, "What's the matter, where's your cell phone? " I guess it's just a PITA for them to be dragging out their cell phones all the time.
You should start taking note of who is doing the asking. Often the person asking has no interest in what the actual time is...
Old 03-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Is this market research for apple?
Supposedly Apple is projecting 5% of iPhone owners will buy the Apple Watch - works out to 15 million units (not me).

Cute flowchart.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #25

Only used to wear one when I was dressed in my business attire. Haven't worn one since ER and no plans to. Don't really get this apple watch gimmick. I see this being a flop, ala google vision, or whatever it was called.

Lazy Portfolio Investor:
AA: 55% Stocks
35% Bonds
10% Cash
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #26

Frankly, apple can stuff their watch. Along with the whopping 18 hr charge capacity.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
IMHO, there is not even a remote possibility that a yes/no poll on this forum can generate any significant amount of data. Folks here are just too nuanced, and we delight in explaining why "it depends."
Hate to be one of those, but yeah, I have a special purpose Garmin running watch. The Apple or other phone/watch pairs dont have enough to move me yet.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #28

I used to always wear a watch. Then I heard a news story that said that young people were not wearing watches because they found the time on their cell phones. I haven't worn a watch since. I use my cell phone.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I feel naked without it.
Quote:
...feel naked without it, too!
Ten more nakeds and we'll have a calendar!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #30

I wear a bracelet-style Citizens Eco-drive wristwatch every day. I have a half a dozen watches in a drawer but they all take batteries so this one wins out as the clear favorite. I carry a smartphone in my purse, but the only instances where I have used it as an alarm clock/timepiece are when I am traveling and I have it on my bedside.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Never liked jewelry of any kind. My one concession was a watch (not even the wedding band). I was so happy when cell phones were invented. Would never wear one again.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #32

Yes. Precision time was critical in my Air Force days and my first civilian job, so it became ingrained in me. DW surprised me with a Rolex when we surpassed our FI goals and I love it!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Upon departing the US Navy I removed my Accutron.

The Space Age • 1950s-1973

Bulova technology was an integral feature of the U.S. space program from the late-1950s on, as the company become a major NASA contractor. Commercial release of the Accutron watch was delayed for several years because the fully electronic Accutron timer was deemed essential technology. All instrument panel clocks and time-keeping mechanisms in the spacecraft on those missions used Accutron tuning fork movements,[12] because at the time, NASA did not know how well a mechanical movement would work in low gravity conditions. An Accutron 214 movement was placed on the moon in a communications relay device by the first moon landing mission, Apollo 11 (1969). The U.S. government had used the 214 in military satellites, and had even prevailed on Bulova to delay the commercial release of the Accutron to prevent the Soviet Union from obtaining the technology during the Cold War. While specialized Accutron equipment became standard for space flight, a production model Accutron chronograph and timer also went into space during the 1971 Apollo 15 flight, the fourth mission to land men on the moon, carried unofficially by mission commander David R. Scott. This disproves the claim that Omega was the only watch included in the Apollo program.
Bulova technology continued to be used on NASA missions through the 1973 launch of Skylab.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Wore inexpensive watches all my life -- and enjoyed selecting them for their design -- until I intentionally stopped about five years ago, well before I retired. It felt very freeing to lose the shackle. Like most folks, I now use my smartphone as an occasional pocket watch.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #35

I wear a watch. I'd had a Seiko automatic (or kinetic, I can never recall the difference) for a long time that I bought while in college. It didn't need a battery or winding and had a nice analog face (day of week and month). It wasn't fancy or expensive but looked "casual/classy". I learned it would need periodic cleaning every few years and the gentleman who worked behind the counter at Kohl's (sort of a Target-like retailer) told me this when I brought it back after a few years when it had started slowing down.

It turned out he had a side business out of his home as a watch repairman, gave me his card and said he'd be happy to do it for a reasonable price. He and his wife (both much older than I) didn't live too far away from me, so I'd bicycle on over to their home, drop it off, and visit a while. He kept doing that after he retired and I was always happy to come over to their home, which was like one of those little homes with birds and small animals like you read about in fairy tales.

The Seiko needed work at about the time I left my job, so I took it back over. When I didn't receive a call saying the watch was ready, I called and learned that he had become ill and was in the hospital. Within a short time, he died and I told his wife to not worry about the watch, your husband gave it a good long life.

I went watchless for a while (actually thought it was a "sign", since I wasn't under schedules any more), but I was so used to having a watch on my left wrist that I could glance at, I replaced it with a Wenger (Swiss Army) watch that I use now. Also analog, just the day of month, but requires a battery. When I found it, I thought "this looks like something Don Draper (Mad Men) would wear".

I like the Wenger for what it does, so no Apple Watch for me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #36

Every day.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I wear one on each wrist.

Timewise:

My new Passat has three different time readouts. My two cell phones display the time. At home, the microwave shows time along with the wall clock, the grandfather clock, the three TV's, the three DVR's and our three desktop computers.

Our dog even knows when it's time to feed him.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I feel naked without it.
Quote:
...feel naked without it, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Ten more nakeds and we'll have a calendar!
Be careful what you wish for....

I used to wear a watch all the time but the band broke ~2 years ago and I just haven't bothered to get it fixed. That tells me I don't really need or even want one so I'll probably be watchless from now on.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I wear a cheap solar watch that has a 1980's flavor. I'm happy as a clam with that.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:56 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it has been at least 20 years since I wore a watch for any purpose other than scuba diving. Even before cell phones became ubiquitous, I was rarely anyplace without at least a half dozen clocks close to me. As a society we spend a great deal of effort monitoring the passage of time.

For fun I just walked through my house counting the obvious clocks. I'm sure there are many more than I counted. Most of these update time because they are either network aware or are of the atomic clock variety. This is why I did not immediately realize how many there were. I counted 31 clocks. Most are just things in other devices like the LED panels on the fridge, exercise equipment, alarm, hvac systems, etc.