Poll:Do you wear a watch?

Do you wear a watch?

• Yes

Votes: 105 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 136 56.4%

• Total voters
Frankly, apple can stuff their watch. Along with the whopping 18 hr charge capacity.

IMHO, there is not even a remote possibility that a yes/no poll on this forum can generate any significant amount of data. Folks here are just too nuanced, and we delight in explaining why "it depends." :cool:
Hate to be one of those, but yeah, I have a special purpose Garmin running watch. The Apple or other phone/watch pairs dont have enough to move me yet.

I used to always wear a watch. Then I heard a news story that said that young people were not wearing watches because they found the time on their cell phones. I haven't worn a watch since. I use my cell phone.

I wear a bracelet-style Citizens Eco-drive wristwatch every day. I have a half a dozen watches in a drawer but they all take batteries so this one wins out as the clear favorite. I carry a smartphone in my purse, but the only instances where I have used it as an alarm clock/timepiece are when I am traveling and I have it on my bedside.

Never liked jewelry of any kind. My one concession was a watch (not even the wedding band). I was so happy when cell phones were invented. Would never wear one again.

Yes. Precision time was critical in my Air Force days and my first civilian job, so it became ingrained in me. DW surprised me with a Rolex when we surpassed our FI goals and I love it!

Upon departing the US Navy I removed my Accutron.

The Space Age • 1950s-1973

Bulova technology was an integral feature of the U.S. space program from the late-1950s on, as the company become a major NASA contractor. Commercial release of the Accutron watch was delayed for several years because the fully electronic Accutron timer was deemed essential technology. All instrument panel clocks and time-keeping mechanisms in the spacecraft on those missions used Accutron tuning fork movements,[12] because at the time, NASA did not know how well a mechanical movement would work in low gravity conditions. An Accutron 214 movement was placed on the moon in a communications relay device by the first moon landing mission, Apollo 11 (1969). The U.S. government had used the 214 in military satellites, and had even prevailed on Bulova to delay the commercial release of the Accutron to prevent the Soviet Union from obtaining the technology during the Cold War. While specialized Accutron equipment became standard for space flight, a production model Accutron chronograph and timer also went into space during the 1971 Apollo 15 flight, the fourth mission to land men on the moon, carried unofficially by mission commander David R. Scott. This disproves the claim that Omega was the only watch included in the Apollo program.
Bulova technology continued to be used on NASA missions through the 1973 launch of Skylab.

Last edited:
Wore inexpensive watches all my life -- and enjoyed selecting them for their design -- until I intentionally stopped about five years ago, well before I retired. It felt very freeing to lose the shackle. Like most folks, I now use my smartphone as an occasional pocket watch.

I wear a watch. I'd had a Seiko automatic (or kinetic, I can never recall the difference) for a long time that I bought while in college. It didn't need a battery or winding and had a nice analog face (day of week and month). It wasn't fancy or expensive but looked "casual/classy". I learned it would need periodic cleaning every few years and the gentleman who worked behind the counter at Kohl's (sort of a Target-like retailer) told me this when I brought it back after a few years when it had started slowing down.

It turned out he had a side business out of his home as a watch repairman, gave me his card and said he'd be happy to do it for a reasonable price. He and his wife (both much older than I) didn't live too far away from me, so I'd bicycle on over to their home, drop it off, and visit a while. He kept doing that after he retired and I was always happy to come over to their home, which was like one of those little homes with birds and small animals like you read about in fairy tales.

The Seiko needed work at about the time I left my job, so I took it back over. When I didn't receive a call saying the watch was ready, I called and learned that he had become ill and was in the hospital. Within a short time, he died and I told his wife to not worry about the watch, your husband gave it a good long life.

I went watchless for a while (actually thought it was a "sign", since I wasn't under schedules any more), but I was so used to having a watch on my left wrist that I could glance at, I replaced it with a Wenger (Swiss Army) watch that I use now. Also analog, just the day of month, but requires a battery. When I found it, I thought "this looks like something Don Draper (Mad Men) would wear".

I like the Wenger for what it does, so no Apple Watch for me.

I wear one on each wrist.

Timewise:

My new Passat has three different time readouts. My two cell phones display the time. At home, the microwave shows time along with the wall clock, the grandfather clock, the three TV's, the three DVR's and our three desktop computers.

Our dog even knows when it's time to feed him.

I feel naked without it.

...feel naked without it, too! :LOL:

Ten more nakeds and we'll have a calendar! :cool:

Be careful what you wish for....:LOL:

I used to wear a watch all the time but the band broke ~2 years ago and I just haven't bothered to get it fixed. That tells me I don't really need or even want one so I'll probably be watchless from now on.

I wear a cheap solar watch that has a 1980's flavor. I'm happy as a clam with that. :)

I think it has been at least 20 years since I wore a watch for any purpose other than scuba diving. Even before cell phones became ubiquitous, I was rarely anyplace without at least a half dozen clocks close to me. As a society we spend a great deal of effort monitoring the passage of time.

For fun I just walked through my house counting the obvious clocks. I'm sure there are many more than I counted. Most of these update time because they are either network aware or are of the atomic clock variety. This is why I did not immediately realize how many there were. I counted 31 clocks. Most are just things in other devices like the LED panels on the fridge, exercise equipment, alarm, hvac systems, etc.

I only wear a watch in areas where cell phones aren't allowed or aren't practical to carry, and even then I tend to keep it in my pocket. I can't stand jewelry of any sort against my body, including my wedding ring. (DW offered to have my nose pierced and a chain added but I turned it down.)

Couldn't do without one when I worked. Now retired, I only wear one when I have multiple appts. the same day. It's a PITA to dig out the cell.

I like to get a stealthy glimpse of my watch at times, when it would he inappropriate to check my phone.

So yes, for me. An old Timex that I've replaced more bands on than batteries. I have a dress watch somewhere, but it irritates me so I never wear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

No, used to but with the proliferation of clocks no need to now. I've got a clock on my phone, my tablet, my laptop, my TV, my GPS....

I haven't worn a watch since the early 1980's. I don't like anything on my wrists or fingers. I use my cell phone for time now.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

Always. A traditional Timex analog. I only remove it to shower.

I carry a Swiss Army pocket watch. Every wrist watch I have owned has died within 6 months of purchase. I'm one of those people who kills wrist watches and I have no idea why; they just quit. Have tried to have them fixed and they will survive another 2 or 3 months then quit again. The pocket watch has survived for 18 years now.

No. Feels weird and I no longer have to be anywhere most of the time.

As for Nodak, it is your chi overpowering your watch. At least that is what a martial arts instructor told me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom