View Poll Results: Do you wear a watch?
Yes 105 43.57%
No 136 56.43%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Never have. Hate the way it feels on my wrist. Never been much for any type of jewelry/accessories. I wear my wedding band and a crucifix around my neck only.

Mike
I'm with Mike except I refuse to wear a wedding band or necklace as well. Just can't stand 'stuff' on me.

After 20 years, mega-corp gave me an expensive watch. I put it in my drawer at home. One day, we are going somewhere and it seemed like a good idea to have one, the battery was dead. I got it a new battery. A few years later, an occasion came up where I thought I might need one. The battery was dead again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
Just can't stand 'stuff' on me.
+1 Thought I was (virtually) alone in that.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:53 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

yes. I have three different watches that I often wear - a citizen eco-drive that doesn't need batteries; one with a turquoise band; and a watchcraft wearable art watch.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:14 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

You Are What You Wear: How Smartwatches Could Become The New BYOD, And Five Steps You Can Take To Prepare.

Quote:
Here’s the thing, though – even if Apple doesn’t get it right, someone else will. As you can see from the chart below, the smartwatch market is already booming, and that’s just a sign of what’s to come. Last year, Samsung topped the market, closely trailed by startups such as Pebble and Fitbit and giants such as Sony, Lenovo and LG (the latter three all creating Android Wear-based devices, upon which our BBM communications app now runs).

In the coming years, it could be anyone’s game: the wearable computing market is projected to grow to 485 million device shipments in 2018. And keep in mind that this is with products like Google Glass and the Galaxy Gear – which have received lukewarm reviews – and single-purpose devices such as fitness watches, biometric trackers, etc. What do you suppose will happen to those numbers when someone creates a ‘perfect’ smartwatch?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:03 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Once I obtain the perfect watch, it'll probably find it's way into the drawer with my other watches...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

Used to wear one every day until about four years ago when my kids told me that is a sure sign that I'm getting old. What? Me? Old? Yeah, Dad, you always wear a watch but younger people just use their cell phone for the time. So I put the watch in the drawer. I'm not any younger but maybe I fool a few people along the way.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTX View Post
I just can't see having a conversation with my wrist. The battery life for using it as a cell phone is 6 hours and it takes 3 hours to charge. That is too tedious for me.
The constant battery charging is why I quit using Bluetooth headsets and have gone back to plug in head sets. I have enough trouble recharging myself, much less 4 or 5 gadgets every day.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
The constant battery charging is why I quit using Bluetooth headsets and have gone back to plug in head sets. I have enough trouble recharging myself, much less 4 or 5 gadgets every day.
I use a Bluetooth headset at the Y and on walks.

There were just too many times the headset cables got in the way or snagged on something while I was exercising. The set I have (LG Tone+) lasts a pretty long time. I recharge it maybe once a week.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B View Post
The cell phone has made watches almost extinct among younger people. None of my children wear watches. Now, the biggest cell phone player is going to get these same people to pay hundreds of dollars to wear an underpowered, technically limited watch like device. If they succeed, then my comment that Apple is really a cult will be proven.
+1

For some people this will fit a need, and that's great. But for mass marketing purposes, it is the same old business model: keep convincing people they need the latest thing. No different than cars or clothes or shoes or hairstyles

Old 03-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted no because I only do about 20% of the time these days... but for some reason it still feels strange when I don't.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:10 AM   #91

Yes

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #92

I voted no.

Wore a watch daily from high school until I ER'd. My parents gave me all 3 of my "everyday" watches - the first two were Seikos with batteries, the last a beautiful solar powered Citizen with diamonds around the face. When I protested about it being too extravagant, my dad said I deserved an "executive watch".

I also have a windup dainty dress watch that was my grandmother's. Still runs fine.

Now I only wear one as an accessory, or if I know I'll be somewhere that frowns on looking at iPhones. That's not very often.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #93
Dryer sheet aficionado

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luckyvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I wear a watch whenever I go out. I have several. When not in use, I pull out the stem to stop the battery drain. When the iWatch matures (no iPhone needed, charges from body motion like self-winding watches, use iCloud and wifi for everything), I will probably buy one.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #95

I rotate between my Breitling and Kreiger timepieces.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:59 PM   #96

I stopped wearing a watch in 1988. It significantly decreased my stress levels. Before that if I knew something was due on 30 minutes I would check my watch every 3 minutes, driving myself crazy. Once I ditched the watch I found I "knew" how much time had elapsed even though I wasn't thinking about it. Everyone thought I was crazy for not wearing a watch. Who knew - I was actually a trend setter
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #97

yes I wear a watch... but only when I'm sailing. Other times.... no

It is very important to have a time piece when one is sailing
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #98

Just catching up on this thread.

I haven't worn a watch in 30 years, but as a kid I always kind of liked them. I thought it might be nice to have a good watch, and I had a lot of time on a cruise ship to hang out in the watch store and try them all on. I looked at the watches by Tag, Omega, Rolex, Citizen, Seiko, and bunch of other ones.

The watch I really liked was the Omega Speedmaster. It's the watch that was worn on the moon in 1962, and watch collectors consider it a classic. I found one at Costco for $4,000 and thought I might treat myself. Before pulling out the credit card, I drove over to the local mall where they have all the high end watch retailers. I stopped by the Omega shop to ask about the watch. It's a manual wind, and needs to be wound every day. Just moving your wrist around won't help. But at least it doesn't need a battery, so I figured the $4K was worth it since I wouldn't have to keep replacing batteries every few years.

Then the lady mentioned that I need to bring it in every four years or so for a cleaning. OK, no big deal I guess...until I asked how much that cost...$710. Wow! Now it's starting to need as much maintenance as my car, and all it does it tell me what time it is?

I looked at some less expensive watches at Macy's, where a pushy sales guy just wanted to sell me whatever one he pulled out of the case first. I decided to pass.

On my way out, I stopped by the Apple store to see if the new Macbook Pro 15" was in stock. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the Apple Watches on display. An Apple employee asked me if I would like to try them on. He has worn one since the first day of launch and was quite an enthusiast. I really had no interest in one, but the more I played with it, the more impressed I was. I must have spent 45 minutes talking to him, and trying on every different band with both the Watch and Watch Sport models.

I didn't have any plans to buy one, but when I saw how much this thing can do, and how much I was saving by not having to spend $710 every four years just to keep it clean, it seemed like a bargain. So I ordered the Sport watch for $399. I also paid the $49 for Applecare, because the sales guy told me that people were taking their watches swimming and they were proving to be quite waterproof, but I figure for $49, if mine eventually develops a leak while I'm in the pool, I'll just bring it in and get a new one.

In about six weeks, when it arrives, I'll see if it's everything it seemed to be in the store, but it seems like a bargain compared to a $4K watch that can't do anything but tell me the time, and I have to pay $710 every four years just to get it to keep doing that for me.

So has anyone else bought the Apple Watch yet?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll:Do you wear a watch?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Poll:Do you wear a watch?

I haven't worn many different watches as an adult. The one I wore longest was an automatic Seiko that needed cleaning, which was done well at a low cost by a nice man. Sadly, he died before the watch did.

I now wear a Wenger that I expect to last a very long time. If it ever fails, I have my eye on a Shinola, for history/rep and a name that's hard to top. With any luck, the Wenger will make that an unnecessary purchase.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

I always wear my watch. If I'm not wearing it, I get this unsettling feeling that my wrist is going to get stabbed.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote