Poll:Do you wear a watch?

Do you wear a watch?

• Yes

Votes: 105 43.6%
  • No

Votes: 136 56.4%

• Total voters
I haven't worn a watch in years. Frankly, carrying a smartphone around everywhere sort of defeats the purpose since it does everything a watch does and so much more.

I remember my last boss at Megacorp took me aside once and told me I needed to stay more engaged during her staff meetings. I said "What do you mean?" She said "You are constantly checking your phone for email messages. It's very distracting." I said "That's not it. It's that I can't see the clock from where I'm sitting. I'm just looking at my phone to see the time. I don't want to miss my next meeting."

It never occurred to her that someone would use their iPhone or Blackberry for something other than checking email. :facepalm:

I haven't worn a watch in years. Frankly, carrying a smartphone around everywhere sort of defeats the purpose since it does everything a watch does and so much more.

I remember my last boss at Megacorp took me aside once and told me I needed to stay more engaged during her staff meetings. I said "What do you mean?" She said "You are constantly checking your phone for email messages. It's very distracting." I said "That's not it. It's that I can't see the clock from where I'm sitting. I'm just looking at my phone to see the time. I don't want to miss my next meeting."

It never occurred to her that someone would use their iPhone or Blackberry for something other than checking email. :facepalm:
Maybe it will come full circle and people will start wearing watches so they don't have to keep checking their phones. :)

That is actually part of the functionality provided - calendar notifications, sms and few other things you don't have to take out your phone to check.....

You don't have to look either, you get tapped on the wrist.

Can't vote since I'm not a citizen...:p

Actually can't vote cause I would wear a watch if one of mine worked...but they don't and I haven't bothered to get if fixed. I've been using my phone mostly since my watch broke and have gotten used to that so meh I think I will stay off the clock when I go off the clock

You don't have to look either, you get tapped on the wrist.

The tapping thing is intriguing to me.

I wonder if people will start receiving "silent messages" in morse from their watches. Almost like having a bug in your ear talking to you (or Google Glass), but less obvious.

Guess I'll need to get one and dig into WatchKit to see what can be done. hmm

yes,,,,,,, at "times":)

A $10 Casio. Basic and functional. Why would I carry around a rectangular device just to know the time of day. Oh, it does other things like I can call someone, but would rather enjoy the day rather than gab. Only bring it along when I anticipate needing it (or just leave it in the car)

No. The last time I wore a watch was my last day of work. 11/26/2005

Hate to be one of those, but yeah, I have a special purpose Garmin running watch. The Apple or other phone/watch pairs dont have enough to move me yet.

It's the yet I wonder about. I bought a Garmin cycling computer for $200. If I could buy a watch that has the same features, plus a bunch more for only a little bit more money, it would be tempting.

I think the Apple Watch has the potential to be a lot more. Many here say that they gave up their watch when they got a smart phone, but I can see many getting the watch and using their smart phone less, just because it's a device that offers more than something to tell you the time.

Thank you for all that voted. I was collecting my rubbish bins and my next door neighbor, received this in the mail: https://getpebble.com/pebble So we chatted about it for a couple of minutes. Thought I would share it here because I never heard about it before. He purchased for the fitness tracker feature and being able to check for messages while at lunch because he either forgets his cell phone at work, leaves it in the car or leaves it at restaurants.

Last edited:
but I can see many getting the watch and using their smart phone less, just because it's a device that offers more than something to tell you the time.

I just can't see having a conversation with my wrist. The battery life for using it as a cell phone is 6 hours and it takes 3 hours to charge. That is too tedious for me.
dick-tracy-watch.jpg

Last edited:
I just can't see having a conversation with my wrist. The battery life for using it as a cell phone is 6 hours and it takes 3 hours to charge. That is too tedious for me.
dick-tracy-watch.jpg

I don't think the primary use will be as a cell phone. That's also true for smart phones. The voice features are a small part of what these devices offer.

I don't think the primary use will be as a cell phone. That's also true for smart phones. The voice features are a small part of what these devices offer.

Using it as an reading, texting, watching, app or game device would be cumbersome. Have to remember this is tech and tech is upgraded frequently. How many times will people buy a watch at this price point just to have to replace it when the next product cycle rolls out with the next big launch?

Last edited:
The cell phone has made watches almost extinct among younger people. None of my children wear watches. Now, the biggest cell phone player is going to get these same people to pay hundreds of dollars to wear an underpowered, technically limited watch like device. If they succeed, then my comment that Apple is really a cult will be proven.

If I have a plane to catch.

Wife gave me a Seiko Mickey Mouse watch back in the 80's before we were married. Had the innards replaced once, but I wear it all the time!

I have been regularly wearing a watch for 50 years. I like the kind with numbers (not Roman) for the hours, a second hand and an stainless steel link band. I have to get a new one every 10 years or so.

I wear a cheap (real cheap) whatever brand it is when camping and wear a dive computer which also gives time when diving. Otherwise use cell. I have a very attractive Movado that DW gave me 25 years ago. When it wore completely out, that was the end of wearing one.

Yes as my last item of jewelry after my wedding band. I have a tendency to use my cell phone or look around for the time.

heh heh heh - :facepalm: ;)

I like wearing a watch. I have a cheap Timex for everyday use and a nicer dress watch for social events. My wife and daughter both wear watches. My son can't stand wearing one.

Maybe it will come full circle and people will start wearing watches so they don't have to keep checking their phones. :)

Seriously, it could happen. Look at LPs. I think there's a segment of the younger population that considers analog cool and more "real."

Yup, a battered Timex Indiglo with velcro strap. Also use the cell phone, of course. Some day I may adopt the watch from a line in a Jimmy Buffett song, one that has no hands, it just says 'Now'.

Does anyone remember, before the auto, Henry Ford first considered manufacturing watches and gave it up as a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom