Poll:Do You Wear an Apron?

Do you wear an apron when cooking or in the workshop?

• I am female, and I usually or always wear an apron.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I am female, and I rarely or never wear an apron.

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • I am male, and I usually or always wear an apron.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I am male, and I rarely or never wear an apron.

Votes: 26 44.8%

• Total voters
When moving in with SO a month or so ago, I discovered a personalized apron - it is hanging in the kitchen now...I have worn it once...with the intention of wearing it again, but when I get home, I change into "grody house clothes" in light of all the rearranging, moving, etc going on...not sure how to vote! the "once" was of course nude (scantily clad maybe?... and cooking dinner! ;)

I wear an apron when cooking certain dishes for the same reason I wear boots and a thick jacket when brewing: if you get splashed with something hot and potentially nasty it hits cloth instead of your skin. And you have a chance to wriggle out of your sacrificial clothing before it sinks in and gets your skin.
I don't always wear an apron, but anything involving flour and anything hot and nasty always deserve an apron. Like today, while making the roux for da gumbo, which involves continuously stirring very hot flour and oil for like 20 minutes. A concoction nicknamed Cajun Napalm by those who got some splattered on their flesh.

Yep, the Cajun Napalm is something. I had blisters all over my hands last time I made a Cajun roux. I am used to getting burned with hot sugar, but this was way worse.

And you [-]take this stuff internally[/-] eat this ? :nonono:
Absolument! Roux's are just a thickening agent for soups, stews and gravies - all the way back to the three mother sauces and probably further. Think Classical French Cooking meets the bayou. It's just that Cajun cooking demands a dark roux, which means you have to cook it over high heat for quite a while, or low heat forever. All while continuously stirring, because if you burn it you have to trash it and start all over again. The Cajun Roux gives dishes like Gumbo and Etouffee their distinct flavors.

If you stir a bit too vigorously and you get a bit of the sticky hot stuff on your soft parts you will say understand how Napalm works.

I never wear an apron, I am a careful cook...........:)

Back
Top Bottom