Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What's the best average mixer:rum ratio for a mixed crowd?
1:1 (turn yourself into AA now!) 3 10.34%
2:1 (I'll need more rum) 3 10.34%
3:1 14 48.28%
4:1 4 13.79%
5:1 2 6.90%
6:1 (lightweight...) 1 3.45%
Other (for those who can't round or ask what proof rum, etc.) 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I voted Other.

Our cocktails are mixed by the glups. 2-3 glups of liquor is usually the correct mixture except for the martini. A dry martini with anything less than a 5:1 gin/vermouth ratio is not invited to the party.

What's a glup you ask? When pouring a healthy portion into the vessel, you can hear the glup, glup can you not? Just count.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If any of these people go out and have a crash, you are in it deep.
We're all arriving by boat and staying the night. From post #7 and #14:
Quote:
We'll be at a harbor overnight and no one will be within 30 miles of their car.
This was intended as an innocent fun thread...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

DQOTD?

Dairy Queen (no alcohol - soft drink style?) Or Total Delrium (lotsa alcohol!)?

So, dumb question of the day, what does DQOTD really stand for? .... oh.

-ERD50
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #24

I make trash can rum punch, served in, what else? A new clean trash can. I use the traditional recipe: 1 sour 2 sweet 3 strong 4 weak.
No one drives away from our parties! And we also do this on raft ups and such in the boats where everyone is already anchored.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll be right over...I am just sure I can help you get that ratio right. Trial and error! lol
Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I like to taste my liquor. Obviously I know I'm on the road to an early death. Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Unless they're used to liquor, mix weak. You don't want to be responsible for the "show" once the lightweights start hitting the floor... lol

FYI, the approved answer for personal consumption is: "Mix ? We don't need no stinking.. etc.."
+1

If it is a good liquor I prefer it neat. If it is a lower grade and calls for a mixer, I at least require it to have some taste. However, DW likes her's weak (compared to my taste). I would tend towards weak for a mixed group. Those who "require" more can consume more.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #27

I once made the mistake of putting out a blender, a cooler of ice, and a giant bottle of already mixed margarita mix on a table for a party. As the night wore on, I didn't realize that people had kindly brought me bottles of tequila as party gifts, and put them on the same table. Well, you guessed it, everyone started adding tequila to the pre-mix, not knowing it already had the liquor in it. Double whammy!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I once made the mistake of putting out a blender, a cooler of ice, and a giant bottle of already mixed margarita mix on a table for a party. As the night wore on, I didn't realize that people had kindly brought me bottles of tequila as party gifts, and put them on the same table. Well, you guessed it, everyone started adding tequila to the pre-mix, not knowing it already had the liquor in it. Double whammy!
Chatham Artillery Punch, I'm told a Savannah tradition?!
Quote:
The Chatham Artillery started out as a standing militia unit—one of the oldest in the nation, formed in 1785.

Now, as with all things Southern, if something is worth doing, it’s worth having a party afterwards to get drunk and talk about it. Or alternatively, having a party beforehand to get drunk and boast about what is to come! The Chatham Artillery apparently took this not so much as truism, as pure Gospel. The story goes that the ladies would make their special tea-fruit punch, and then each of the officers, on his own and unbeknownst to the women, or more importantly, to each other, would take it upon himself to spike the punch with his favorite liquor. And a good time was had by all…. Now punch was made to be spiked, but these folks made it an art form. The Chatham Artillery Punch first became famous outside Georgia, when the New York Herald Tribune published the formerly secret recipe. (Darn New York papers, publishing military secrets even back in the 1930s!) They described the punch thusly:

This is the punch that knocked out Admiral Schley when he visited Savannah in 1899 after the Spanish War. Admiral Cervera’s Spanish shells were harmless to the brave American admiral, but (Chatham) Artillery Punch scored a direct hit which put him out for two days.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #29

I love that story about the Artillery Punch!

In my family we called this recipe Ammunition Punch and served it at my wedding—nearly knocked the young Citadel bagpiper clean off his feet after a few!

2 ½ cups Southern Comfort
¾ cup lemon juice
2 cans lemonade concentrate, frozen
2 liters Sprite or 7Up
Float some maraschino cherries on top if you wish