Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you help with housecleaning?
A little 30 40.54%
I do half 34 45.95%
Nope, I have other duties. 10 13.51%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do it all. The total man.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I shared the housecleaning duties with DW the first five years of retirement, then we agreed to hire someone to come in every other week. That's about the only recurring payment I can truthfully say I don't mind paying at all.
Same here. Except in our case it wasn't an agreement but a Christmas gift, and a good one at that.

DW cooks, I clean the kitchen twice a day, and it's a real bargain for me. I try to wash my clothes, but that usually leads to unexplainable shrinkage and fading.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I try to wash my clothes, but that usually leads to unexplainable shrinkage and fading.

Shrinkage?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Shrinkage?
That's clothes shrinkage.

Well, it's not unexplainable to DW, but there's something going on that I haven't figured out yet.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #25

Poll for retired men- housecleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That's clothes shrinkage.

Well, it's not unexplainable to DW, but there's something going on that I haven't figured out yet.

I knew what you meant. But I advise you to steer clear of pools.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I built it... she can clean it.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll for retired men- housecleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I do it all. The total man.

Nice!!! My kind of man!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have to confess that DH does most of the cleaning in our house!

I do a lot of the cooking (but not breakfast), all of the laundry, all of the driving and money management/paying of bills. So I guess I got lucky.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Do you help your DW or SO with the housework? We used to have some help come in each week when we were both working, but since we've retired we got tired of having to find somewhere to go to 'hide from the maid' every week and we thought we should do it ourselves anyway.

My DW is very picky and although I want to help more, she will only let me dust, which I probably shouldn't complain about We clean every week because of the 4-legged friends in the house.. takes about half a day.
Honestly - if I already had a maid, I'd keep her, even if I had to "go hide" once a week. No "shoulds" about it.

We have weekly lawn/garden maintenance, and we shall never give that up.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This, though I could qualify that with "as much as gets done...".

I'm relatively neat, as men go.
That's me too - dust can get pretty thick before I have to do something about it. Thank God for dishwashers.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #31

Does it count if I push the button on the Roomba every couple of days?

But seriously, we share the load but don't have official duties. It's sort of whoever can't stand it any more is the one who begins and the other usually joins in at some point. When we got married 40+ years ago, DW gave away all of my iron-required shirts. Now, if we even use the dryer, I usually hang up my stuff and she hangs up hers (she's picky and I'm not). If I can get away with it, I don't use the drier as it costs nearly a dollar a load with our outrageous electrical rates. DW is more likely to do her blouses (blice??) and slacks in the drier. My stuff - if I'm in the mood, I'll try to pull the wrinkles out by hand as I hang up the wet T's and slacks (my two pair).

I do the quarterly bug-spray and yearly tile-grout resealing.

Dishes - we use mostly paper plates and dispo plastic ware (picked up at fast food joints). About once a week one of us will get ambitious and start the dishes - with the other usually taking over about half way through. We intentionally did not install a dishwasher when we remodeled the kitchen. No point, really.

So, all in all, about half and half (but that's not much as neither of us has very high standards in the cleaning dept.) YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife specifically forbade me from taking on a greater share of housework when I ERed. Regardless, I have found I'm doing more yard work because I enjoy it and get exercise from it, even if I have to sneak it in when she is out.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #33

The poll assumes that men don't ever do more than half the housework.

I don't think that is a safe, or accurate, assumption. In our house, DH does do more than half the housework and always has even when we both worked full-time. The primary reason for that is that I have allergies and dusting/vacuuming tend to get them stirred up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Do you help your DW or SO with the housework?
The wording of that sort of makes it seem like it is the primary responsibility of the DW to do the housework and that the man only "helps." Before I married my husband, I told him that if he had any such notion, he should pick a different wife. I saw housework as a shared responsibility where I had no greater responsibility to do it than he did. I also told him that due to my allergies I actually found it difficult to do much actual cleaning and would do my part by hiring someone to do it. We did that off and on during the years. Then when we had kids and they were old enough we assigned a lot of the cleaning as household chores.

We've now gotten to a point where different people have different jobs. DH does most of the actual cleaning due to my allergies, although I tend to do a lot of the picking up which doesn't set them off.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:42 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't do much of the cleaning other than bathrooms and running the vacuum but have a lot of other duties related to taking care of the outside of the house, shopping, maintenance, etc. I also like to cook and cook often along with helping with kitchen clean up. I think it all works out but afraid to ask my DW if that's true, lol.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'm relatively neat, as men go.
I also used to subscribe to the view that women, in general, are neater than men. Then, over time, I realized that I have known all sorts of people, from uncomfortably tidy neat-freaks to disturbingly disorganized messy folk, and there was no apparent correlation with their gender.

I live alone, so I do all the housework (if it can be called that). The 3 cats do nothing to help out. In fact, they seem to enjoy providing convincing data to support the existence of the second law of thermodynamics
Old 02-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #36

i do all.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a very lucky man, my wife actually enjoys all of the household cleaning duties (no really, she does, I think she is happiest when she is ironing anything (even things that I thought didn't need to be ironed)) and since I care so deeply for her and only want to see her happy I am more than willing to sacrifice and let her bliss continue!!

I do cook sporadically and help with laundry and dishes, and try to help out in other places although I secretly think she actually disapproves when I try and clean anything.
She decided the rules, I just try and follow them!
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I have lived alone for a long time and pay someone to occasionally clean the place. Will be moving in with someone in a bit who has also lived alone for quite a while. Both of us like cooking and laundry. We might end up paying someone to do the cleaning.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even when I was w*rking I was doing all the cooking and dinner cleanup. I did half of the housework until I ER'd and now I do most of it. DW is still w*rking. I keep reminding her that when she retires she gets a bunch of housework back on her to do list. Maybe that is why she is still w*rking. She is only picky about doing the cold wash herself.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Since my wife is still working (teacher), I do everything....cooking, cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, etc..... We used to have a cleaning lady come in every two weeks, but, after I retired, I took it over. My brother-in-law says that I'm my wife's "b**ch". I don't argue with him. He's a retired Navy SEAL.