Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of your own food do you grow?
None 38 40.43%
A handfull of plants 46 48.94%
25% 9 9.57%
50% 0 0%
75% 1 1.06%
100% 0 0%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
We have our neighbor who grows all kinds of things as a hobby and conveniently leaves for 8 months on Labor Day. He just leaves everything on the vine. "Midnight Raid inc." is our food source!
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

We have a small garden love all the fresh stuff while it lasts (beet, tomatoes, cucumbers, beans, carrots etc. I do put some up for winter but I don't believe it saves us any money we love the fresh and known where it comes from.

I do pick a lot of wild berry and have about 10 pounds of them for winter month's. The berry now would be very costly to buy so some savings I'm sure.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
We grow our own herbs. That's about it.
Forgot to mention. We grow lots of herbs too. It's so convenient to have fresh herbs handy for cooking.

Over the summer we grow some herbs outside. A few in pots. A few scattered amongst the perennial flowers.

In the winter we use a hydroponic system that uses LEDs. Works great and having lush herbs in February is so nice. In early spring we use it to start the tomato seedlings.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:13 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am not the one that kills my garden. I get a billion bugs, racoons, groundhogs, deer, rain, shade,sun, clay,drought . Never got anything out of my garden in Virginia.
In Oregon I kept trying to kill off the blackberry bushes. The grow to the sky like mythical beanstalks. The birds ate the cherries and the worms ate the apples. I will starve in the zombie apocalypse-but so will they-my brain is gone too.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #25

I’d have to build Fort Knox in order to keep the critters and especially dear away. We can spray our flowers, but even with that, unless we really stay on it, good luck seeing a lily or a tulip. I’ve never seen a garden that was financially viable. Worth every penny in terms of flavor and all around better food, but never seen it to be cheaper. My FIL used to grow a very large garden (half acre or more), but once he spent $8,000 for a tractor, plow, roto tiller . . ., he was never going to save that much money. Don’t forget the cost of seeds, or starter plants and fertilizer. Again, don’t get me wrong. It was good work, a good and rewarding hobby, but not a money saver.

Old 09-03-2018, 03:25 PM   #26

DW farms. I'd list what she grows, but the internet would run out of zeros and ones!

We have filled almost all of our back yard (1/4 acre lot) with raised garden beds. They surround about 400 SF of shaded deck. It's beautiful many months of the year. We get two full growing seasons. Presently winding down summer harvest while planting fall crops.

We do it for the awesome food. When you factor in the cost of building all the beds, amending (organicallY) the soil regularly, the plant/seed cost as well as the tools/labor, it is no financial win. But that's not why we do it.

Ditto with me and deer hunting. That venison costs way more than wagyu beef - - - but worth every penny.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Forgot to mention. We grow lots of herbs too. It's so convenient to have fresh herbs handy for cooking.

Over the summer we grow some herbs outside. A few in pots. A few scattered amongst the perennial flowers.

In the winter we use a hydroponic system that uses LEDs. Works great and having lush herbs in February is so nice. In early spring we use it to start the tomato seedlings.
If you like small scale stuff check out Earthbox.

Here's a link:
https://earthbox.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw...RoC8vIQAvD_BwE

While not an inexpensive solution they're better than pots. We did herbs in one and cherry tomatoes in another. Amazing harvest. I was making big batches of pesto with all the basil.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll:Growing food to save money (and other reasons)
Old 09-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Poll:Growing food to save money (and other reasons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’ve never seen a garden that was financially viable. Worth every penny in terms of flavor and all around better food, but never seen it to be cheaper. My FIL used to grow a very large garden (half acre or more), but once he spent $8,000 for a tractor, plow, roto tiller . . ., he was never going to save that much money. Don’t forget the cost of seeds, or starter plants and fertilizer. Again, don’t get me wrong. It was good work, a good and rewarding hobby, but not a money saver.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have about 25sf of “garden” which is fallow this years, except for weeds. The last vegetable planting, three years or so ago, resulted in probably $50 worth, consisting of three $10 tomatoes, and a bunch of jalapeņos, at about a buck apiece...

Texas summers...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I’d have to build Fort Knox in order to keep the critters and especially dear away. We can spray our flowers, but even with that, unless we really stay on it, good luck seeing a lily or a tulip. I’ve never seen a garden that was financially viable. Worth every penny in terms of flavor and all around better food, but never seen it to be cheaper. My FIL used to grow a very large garden (half acre or more), but once he spent $8,000 for a tractor, plow, roto tiller . . ., he was never going to save that much money. Don’t forget the cost of seeds, or starter plants and fertilizer. Again, don’t get me wrong. It was good work, a good and rewarding hobby, but not a money saver.

Guilty on the $8k tractor, tiller.
Deer is handled with an electric fence.
Anything outside the fence is deer food.
I don't use fertilizers just compost .
DT earth and neem oil for bugs.
I buy some seeds, but my tomatoes I clean the seeds from what i grow.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Moved to a condo a few years ago so we have hardly any room for plants (except DW's flowers) any more. Still, I grow some potatoes in pots just for fun.

IMHO, the best frites in the world come from Belgium (you may know them as French Fries, but they are actually a Belgian invention). I have often lamented the fact that we can't get those incredible frites here, so I decided to make my own every year.

I found a source for the specific variety of potato used in Belgium and learned how to cook them properly. I hate to brag, but I think my efforts are nearly as good as I could get over there, so I'm committed to doing this for as long as I can. I've tried several different varieties that are commonly available here (Yukon Gold comes kind of close), but for the exactly right flavor you need Bintje potatoes and they're hard to find.
and duck fat of course!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #31

I wish I could but there are too many trees. I’m not sure how much money I’d save, though. I’d do it just to get decent fresh veggies.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #32
Administrator

We grow mango and papaya, and are looking forward to some lime this year.

When i was young we always had a vegetable garden in the back yard, and it supplied an amazing amount of food. DM had a green thumb for sure, she also knew every farm stand in the area, along with the farms that let people pick their own fruits during harvest season, so we rarely ate store bought produce. Like her mother, she canned and bottled everything. It not only was less expensive, the taste was far better. Brings back such good memories.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:57 PM   #33
Administrator

We have a 1200 sqft plot at the community garden, and a couple of raised beds at home, in which we grow vegetables and herbs. We also have two apple trees, two fig trees, some blueberry bushes and strawberries. I just made out my list for next year's seed order, so I know that we grow 41 different fruits, vegetables and herbs.

We dehydrate, pickle, oil pack, can and freeze our bounty, in addition to eating as many fresh fruits and veggies as humanly possible. We still end up giving boatloads away.

As much as we enjoy growing our own food, I'm pretty sure it saves us absolutely no money at all.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

My husband has a small garden that he enjoys. My kids help sometimes and really enjoy the tomatoes.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how to vote. We have a lot more than a handful of plants, but do they produce 25% of what we consume? I wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyChic View Post
Fascinating! I've been to Belgium, but don't think I ate any frites there. Sounds like I missed out on something special! ...
You sure did! And missed even more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm afraid so. Most cities have shops all over that sell nothing but frites (look for a sign that says "Friteur" or "Frituur" (depending on the local language).

They are nothing at all like what we call French Fries, and will immediately make you a believer.
They do not use ketchup but mayo for dipping, and often sprinkle vinegar on the fries.

Frites is better when accompanied by a pot of moules (mussels). With a strong Belgian beer to wash it down, oh man, one quickly realizes that he does not need a lot of money to be happy.

Just linking these photos makes my mouth water.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #36

For some reason, I couldn't get this to post on my other comment:

This is me. After Dad passed, I got a Kubota (more than $8K with implements) and tried my hand at farming. We did alright, but it is a lot of work.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:57 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

That is a great picture.
I had bought a small irrigated farm years ago and rented most of it out but kept some land where I raised vegetables for a road side market. I did it as a side business and did very well but was a lot of work and time. Sweet corn was a huge seller.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
They do not use ketchup but mayo for dipping, and often sprinkle vinegar on the fries.

Frites is better when accompanied by a pot of moules (mussels). With a strong Belgian beer to wash it down, oh man, one quickly realizes that he does not need a lot of money to be happy.

Just linking these photos makes my mouth water.
After having Frites in Belgium, DW will only eat them with mayo, and I agree it is better.

+1 on the moules and Belgian beer (Duval, Brugges triple, or anything brewed in the town you are in).
Old 09-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
and duck fat of course!
Sometimes, but ideally beef tallow. That's what McDonalds used many years ago, and why people remember those fries so fondly.

Quote:
They do not use ketchup but mayo
Technically correct, but the best friteurs offer an extensive variety of sauces, mostly mayonnaise based, to suit the individual customer's taste.

And yes, you can never go wrong with an accompanying pot of moules and a Duvel or a good tripel!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Keep all this up, and I will have to surf the Web for airfare deals.

But back to growing food...

Quote:
I don't know how to vote. We have a lot more than a handful of plants, but do they produce 25% of what we consume? I wish.
I forgot to say that we do not grow food to save money. Just can't. Here in the Southwest, produce is just so cheap being brought up from Mexico, or grown in the Imperial Valley.

My wife likes growing as a pastime, and what we spend on soil amendment, fertilizer, and water can never make enough compared to what we pay at a local store. Examples: $0.99 for 3 lbs of tomato, or 3 lbs of onion, or 5 cucumbers, or 3 lbs of apple, etc...

Yes, the stuff we grow often tastes better, but the yield is so low that we would either die of starvation or spend $300/month on water. Remember that this is the arid SW.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote