Yes, I have a gun locked up at home. 30 16.48%
Yes, and I carry it on my person. 25 13.74%
Yes, I own several firearms. I'm a hunter. 20 10.99%
Yes, I have a large collection of firearms, small and large. 21 11.54%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Poll:Guns
Old 07-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll:Guns

Recently several posters have mentioned that they own and carry guns. I'm curious to see how common this is, so I thought I would post a poll. Please bear with me while I do that.

This is NOT a political discussion, just a factual survey.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

In Texas, near Houston. I don't carry a gun, but my two best friends keep one in their car and will carry it on their person if needed. It's pretty common in Texas to have a carry license.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I always (100% of the time) have one in my vehicle anytime I go anywhere. Sometimes (~10%) I'll carry with me outside the vehicle depending on where I'm at. Always have several loaded in the house too. And yes, even though you didn't ask, I have a LTC. (often still called a CHL but in Texas it's now called a LTC, since in this state, you can carry open or concealed these days.)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
In Texas, near Houston. I don't carry a gun, but my two best friends keep one in their car and will carry it on their person if needed. It's pretty common in Texas to have a carry license.
I believe there were just over 369k issued at the end of last year in Texas.

EDIT: I just looked it up. It was 369,117 at year end 2016.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I believe there were just over 369k issued at the end of last year in Texas.
Makes the phrase "don't mess with Texas" have more meaning.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I hunted a lot in my youth for both small and big game, and for just big game (whitetails) as an adult. However, I stopped hunting many years ago... getting up at the crack of dawn and sitting in the cold waiting for a buck to wander by lost its allure. The guys I hunted with typically did drives where we would position "sitters" and the end of a set of woods and "drivers" would walk towards them. I also shot trap as a youth.

My first gun was a .410 single shot shotgun with a cut down stock. I remember that when I first got it that I barely had the strength to pull the hammer back. I later got a .22 Remington semi-automatic. Dad and I were hunting a set of woods and at the time I had the .22 and a bear strolled by him while he was taking a poop and he decided that he didn't like the idea of his young son being in the same woods as a bear with only a .22 so before I knew it I owned a Marlin 30-30 side action that I have used for deer hunting ever since. I also have a 12-gauge shotgun that I used for trap.

Since I no longer hunt, all are in a locked gun cabinet in my Mom's garage since her property has more room than mine.

I recall as a youth that the gun cabinet was in my bedroom and included both my guns and my Dad's...a small arsenal including ammo... and I sometimes wondered what I would do if I ever heard an intruder in the house in the middle of the night... but luckily, I never had to find out.

I have never owned a handgun but one of my secretary's when I was working carried a .38 snub-nose revolver in her purse.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
Old 07-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

This is NOT a political discussion, just a factual survey.
It may not be now, but I predict it will become one and Porky will have the last word.

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 07-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I own many firearms but only one gun.

I didn't think we talked about that kinda stuff here.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #9

Porky will be shot on sight.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:28 PM   #10

I checked large collection of firearms, but having about ~100 guns is not really that many. I still want more.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I checked large collection of firearms, but having about ~100 guns is not really that many. I still want more.
What do you do with 100 firearms? Take them out and admire them? Are some of them antiques?

For the record, I have never handled a gun. Some years ago, fearing robbery, I thought about acquiring one for personal protection. However, the training, licensing and storage requirements put me off. I would also worry about shooting myself in the foot, literally!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I always keep one in my truck. I also carry when I remember to put one in my pocket. I used to be an avid deer hunter but only hunt a couple of times a year now. We bird hunt every year down on the Mexican/US border since the 90s so that's mainly what I hunt now. I am from Texas so guns are no big deal. I remember having a gun rack in my truck and sometimes would go to school with a gun on the rack. This was back in the mid seventies at my high school. Again, no biggie in Texas!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #13

Yes, gun owner and CCP holder as well. Belong to a range and practice a few times a year. Also was a 11B MOS in the Army a few years back and grew up hunting squirrel and rabbit back in the 50 &60s. To me weapons are nothing but a tool.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #14

Nah. Maybe if I get terminal cancer.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMAN View Post

I remember having a gun rack in my truck and sometimes would go to school with a gun on the rack. This was back in the mid seventies at my high school. Again, no biggie in Texas!
I went to school in PA in the '70s. I had a shotgun in the back seat of my car last two years. Principal asked once about it and I asked if he wanted to chase birds or rabbit after school?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #16

I sometimes carry and I own more than one firearm.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
What do you do with 100 firearms? Take them out and admire them? Are some of them antiques?
No antiques. I like to have a few "just in case something goes down".

I have a few around the house, in case of a home invasion. I try to never be more than a few feet away from a loaded firearm. I live in one of the safest communities around. No kids here, and my house is not kid friendly.

I have a few carry guns, and if I upgrade the gun just sit on the shelf in the safe. A few shotguns and rifles too (~50).

Often, when I went on a big game trip, I would buy a new gun for it, much the same way a woman might buy a new dress to go to a wedding. I am going to Glacier NP in September, and I will be carrying a firearm there too.

A gun makes a person feel safe, when they know how to use it. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 07-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Porky will be shot on sight.

Don't know how to vote. I have a few firearms, purchased back when I was still interested in target shooting. I do not normally carry one with me. I do not hunt.

1) 357 Magnum (revolver)
2) A shotgun
3) A small 22 rifle for plinking
4) An, ahem, assault rifle.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #19

FWIW, the available answers probably don't a do a good job of characterizing a lot of the actual circumstances of gun ownership, because several factors are lumped together.
Concealed carry vs not
Hunting vs not
Number of firearms owned
Whether all guns are stored only in the home.
How the weapons are secured (locked up in a safe, kept out but with a trigger lock, in a rapid-access gun cabinet/drawer, etc)

I picked the answer that I thought was closest, but it wasn't a good fit.

FWIW, there is a firearm in approximately 31% of US households, and there are approx 310 million firearms in the US. In households that have guns, the average (mean) number is about 4, but I don't know the median number. My >guess< is that it is not a Gaussian distribution--there are a lot of 1, 2, 3, and 4 gun households, and then a long tail to the right.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #20

I did go to target shooting once with a friend at work, does that count? My dad used to bring firearms at home, set in clear sight. Surprisingly, I never touched it. I would be the one curious enough to do it.

Closed Thread