Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Has aging/retirement made your more or less sociable?
I am more sociable, outgoing, friendly in general. 22 27.85%
I am less so... 22 27.85%
I am still pretty much the same. 35 44.30%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Has aging/retirement made you more/less sociable?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Has aging/retirement made you more/less sociable?

Probably risky here in INTJville, but somehow DW and I have switched roles WRT who's the friendly, outgoing ambassador for our couplehood. Where she was always the more social between us, I think my less open, social nature has made her less so over the years, unfortunate IMO and unintended. Even more surprising, I've become way more friendly with strangers, shopkeepers, etc., more likely to participate in general, and better at keeping in touch with friends and family. I'll never qualify as an extrovert, but still a bizzare turn of events. Even when I break the ice, she sometimes doesn't join in, just the opposite of how we acted when we were both younger. In fairness, DW still has a larger circle of friends than I do.

So how about youse guys? And not asking if you made the transition to outright extrovert, just have you changed (perceptibly)...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Voted more open.

Five years ago, would not think I would be posting in an open forum like this.

But then, I was born a cranky person.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd say I'm somewhat more friendly now that the burden of w*rk is off my shoulders. I'm definitely more relaxed.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I voted "I am still pretty much the same.". I don't think my fundamental INTJ-ness has changed. Being as old as Methuselah, I suppose that most of my personality traits are set in stone by now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #5

I'm pretty much the same, I don't need a lot of social interaction. Since DH retired he's become a less social person. He used to work in social services and dealt with a lot of people in his department. He thought he'd miss it but instead he's much happier without all the time with other people.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #6

Pretty much the same, but without work friends My circle of friends is pretty slim.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

About the same. Like many here, I'm more on the introverted side to begin with. Retirement has made it that, knowing each day is like a Saturday, that I enjoy the time alone more. Don't need to clockwatch as the next day is like another Saturday.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Never was all that sociable, and aging is restricting my travel abilities.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Never that sociable to begin with. No change to my limited circle of friends or my activities.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am pretty much the same - and, more authentic now that I don't have to "perform" for a job. I think the most stressful part of working was to have to put on a professional face on a daily basis...now I can just if I want to. The kitties don't mind!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I think the poll questions are somewhat leading--the first choice's wording are pretty positive qualities, but the second choice doesn't give any positive qualities of not being sociable (I'm comfortable being by myself, I'm independent, I don't need other people around me all the time, etc.). If the first choice had negative qualities or the second choice had positive qualities, the responses might be different.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think the poll questions are somewhat leading--the first choice's wording are pretty positive qualities, but the second choice doesn't give any positive qualities of not being sociable (I'm comfortable being by myself, I'm independent, I don't need other people around me all the time, etc.). If the first choice had negative qualities or the second choice had positive qualities, the responses might be different.
Well, I don't see how it could be more clear. You're either MORE sociable, LESS sociable or THE SAME as you always were. Don't know how that could be tweaked or stated any better.

I voted "more sociable" because I always try to be more sociable. I try to be more outgoing all the time. One of my latest thoughts is to be the one who introduces my wife and myself withour having to wait for someone to introduce us. If someone doesn't make that move, I will immediately introduce ourselves to everyone.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #13

I am less because I have virtually no contact with people now that I am retired. But then I thought about it after voting and I'm actually more out going in a store which is the only place I'd be face to face with a person other than possibly the post office. I've found myself talking to people that I never would have had small talk with before because I am not out going. I think I am starved for human contact, that scares me.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have become more sociable, and am surprised by that. When I was still working, I would shy away from opportunities that had a lot of social interaction. Perhaps it is because I am no longer connected with a regular group of co-workers, or perhaps it's because I feel so much happier now, but I find myself looking for more social engagements.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #15

Don't know that I'm more or less (and am fairly new at this) but do miss the social interaction with co-workers. DW and I have not had much of a social network since kids grew up and moved from the neighborhood where we became friends with most of the kids' parents. That's fine with us but I know as we age we'll miss some of that social interaction. We could make it just fine with just regular interaction with kids and grandkids, but they're all overseas so it's not near as frequent as we'd like.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #16
Administrator

As we age we become more concentrated versions of what we were. As my mother says, you are at 60 what you were at 40, only more so.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
As we age we become more concentrated versions of what we were. As my mother says, you are at 60 what you were at 40, only more so.
Oh, I like that one! Your mother is very perceptive.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
So how about youse guys? And not asking if you made the transition to outright extrovert, just have you changed (perceptibly)...
Spouse worked her way high enough up the local military to be fairly visible and occasionally the "only girl in the room". She was happy to leave the stage of the briefing theater. Then during her "retirement", a volunteer job on a non-profit board turned into a 150-day stint as a non-profit CEO.

So she's going through a backlash now, and is much less social than ever. She doesn't miss it a bit. Her car only leaves the garage once or twice a month, and we're having "the discussion" about going down to one car.

I've always preferred to be social through a keyboard rather than face-to-face. (I appear much smarter that way too.) That hasn't changed in retirement. But in retirement I'm usually less tired & grumpy through the day, and I'm engaging with people during the middle of the morning in the middle of the week (instead of with the weekend crowds) so we all get along better.

I agree that age makes you more of what you are, but it also gives you the experience to temporarily fake the mannerisms of someone you're not. Luckily ER means you don't have to put yourself into positions where you'd have to fake it...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I may be the exception in this vein at least, I'm pretty sure I am more outgoing/sociable at 58 than I was at 40, work environment notwithstanding. But maybe I've have an antisocial relapse at 60...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely more - never would of touched a board like this before... No time in life to do so. There is a big difference with working 60 -80 hour weeks than doing side work - maybe averaging 20 hours a month... (and that may be coming to an end also - have not decided yet...)... I would say that I have turned more into an I / E (divided to the moment at hand).