Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you been sued or have you sued an individual or business?
Yes, I have been sued 18 21.18%
Yes, I have sued someone 16 18.82%
No, never. 51 60.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was sued 13 times over a five year period while serving in the military.
For my own safety I'll keep the position I had secret.
However, in each instance the local JAG was able to obtain a dimissal without ever calling on me to appear in a court room.
The lawsuits went with the territory, but I did manage to set something of a record..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

bold mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
After 45 replies to, 40% of those responding say they've been involved in a lawsuit. Higher than I expected so far...
And that's all you can say - self selected polls tell us almost nothing about the population in general, or even the forum population.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My business has been sued twice seen 1989. Both were homeowners suing for problems associated with formaldehyde exposure problems related to plywood I sold. In both cases my company was dismissed from the lawsuit because I was a commission sales person only and had no part in the manufacture of the product or the sale to the end user.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
bold mine:

And that's all you can say - self selected polls tell us almost nothing about the population in general, or even the forum population.

-ERD50
Thank you for pointing that out and helping me avoid major embarrassment. I was planning to use the poll results as the basis for my doctoral dissertation.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

As a self selected responder. I have sued a township, have been party to several class action suits that I did not remeber joining. Last round of class action suit gave me some good mad money.

Seems TIAA CREF did some things that a Judge found unsavory. I do not recall joining the suit, maybe one had to opt out or some such.

Got a nice check in the mail, the bank said it was good. I'll spend it.

Edit add: No I did not vote in the poll, just because it would have required TWO clicks
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Nope. Hope it stays that way.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thank you for pointing that out and helping me avoid major embarrassment. I was planning to use the poll results as the basis for my doctoral dissertation.
I know that you know. Just pointing out the relative uselessness of self-selected polls in general. I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised at any response, it might just be attracting responses from people who were sued. Others pass it by.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(1) Seems to me that the only ones who win in most lawsuits, are the lawyers.

(2) Life is too short to spend weeks or months of it in court, if that is avoidable.
+1 , and I have never sued anyone or been sued
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We inherited my in-laws house when they passed away. On one side was a small gas station/convenience store. On the other side were neighbors. Between our house and the neighbors were 3 very tall (about 100') white pines. Also, in the middle of the front lawn was a spuce tree - about 35' tall.

One day my husband was in the convenience store and got talking with the guy who managed it. He asked if we would consider cutting the trees down, as he felt it blocked his signage from one direction. My husband said probably not, as it would cost too much and he didnt particularly want the trees down....maybe the spruce....but there was no reason to take the pines down. The pines were limbed quite a ways up and werent blocking anything. The guy asked if he would consider it - if he paid for it. My husband told him he would think about it.

A couple of weeks later our tenant called upset because there were 2 guys in a pickup and chainsaws and they were cutting all the trees down and wanted to know why we hadnt told him ahead of time. Bear in mind, dropping 100' trees by a house is not simple task. My husband went down and asked them what the hell they were doing. They said the store owner had hired them. They were told they were trespassing and to leave. By then, all but one tree had been cut down....that tree was partially down.....and the yard was a mess.

We filed a police report - but they said it was a not a police matter. The store owner said he "thought we wouldnt mind, because he was paying and got a good price".

So, yeah, we hired a lawyer and sued. We didn't get a lot of money ($7K I think) - but enough to put up 3 more trees, albeit not as tall as I would have liked. They will never replace the 3 beautiful white pines that were there.

I agree we are in a sue happy society and we had at least one other situation where we could have sued - but didn't as it was an honest mistake. But this guy was just an idiot and knew exactly what he was doing. I still get annoyed when I think of it.
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Nope, I'm still a virgin as far as being a Plaintiff or Defendant in a lawsuit goes.

A few months after we broke up, ex-dh2b tried rattling his saber at me (threatened to take me to court) regarding a fictitious agreement to transfer ownership (to him) of an item titled in my name alone.
I calmly asked him to produce his proof of receipts of purchase and the alleged agreement in writing and then I would discuss it.
That problem went poof.

I hadn't previously read this book for my health.

Living Together: A Legal Guide for Unmarried Couples: Toni Ihara, Ralph Warner Attorney, Frederick Hertz Attorney: 9781413307559: Amazon.com: Books
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Nope, I'm still a virgin as far as being a Plaintiff or Defendant in a lawsuit goes.

A few months after we broke up, ex-dh2b tried rattling his saber at me (threatened to take me to court) regarding a fictitious agreement to transfer ownership (to him) of an item titled in my name alone.
I calmly asked him to produce his proof of receipts of purchase and the alleged agreement in writing and then I would discuss it.
That problem went poof.

I hadn't previously read this book for my health.

Living Together: A Legal Guide for Unmarried Couples: Toni Ihara, Ralph Warner Attorney, Frederick Hertz Attorney: 9781413307559: Amazon.com: Books
What a loser that guy was. Lucky you had not married him.

Ha
Old 12-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have never been a party to a lawsuit. However, I have practiced civil litigation for a couple of decades, so I have plenty of vicarious experience throughout my clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
(1) Seems to me that the only ones who win in most lawsuits, are the lawyers.

(2) Life is too short to spend weeks or months of it in court, if that is avoidable.
I don't disagree with the above. I wouldn't suggest bringing an action unless it is truly necessary and there are no alternatives.

I suspect that many of the frivolous lawsuits one reads about might well be avoided if the U.S. adopted the practice of making the losing side responsible for payment of the winning party's legal costs.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
......The store owner said he "thought we wouldnt mind, because he was paying and got a good price".

So, yeah, we hired a lawyer and sued. We didn't get a lot of money ($7K I think) - but enough to put up 3 more trees, albeit not as tall as I would have liked. They will never replace the 3 beautiful white pines that were there.
I hope that you planted the 3 trees in spots where they would block the bozo store owner's signage. I would have.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I became part of a class action group against AT &T many years ago for their employment practices that discriminated against pregnant women. I received a hefty settlement and AT & T now grants leave and holds jobs for their pregnant employees.

I am currently part of a class action against another former employer over wage issues from the 1970's and 80's. The case has been in the courts since the 90's and we have won on every turn, but the employer keeps appealing....
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote