Poll: Have you been a party in a lawsuit?

Have you been sued or have you sued an individual or business?

• Yes, I have been sued

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Yes, I have sued someone

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • No, never.

Votes: 51 60.0%

• Total voters

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
This post by Nodak...
... it was great fun but I don't think anyone would dare to do anything like that with our current lawsuit happy society.
...made me wonder how many of you have been involved in a lawsuit?

Please respond yes or no if you have been individually sued or if you've sued someone (an individual or a business). Feel free to post details if you'd like. :)

This post by Nodak......made me wonder how many of you have been involved in a lawsuit?

Please respond yes or no if you have been individually sued or if you've sued someone (an individual or a business). Feel free to post details if you'd like. :)
Do an anonymous poll and I will respond. I wouldn't want folks to find out that I am a wuss that never sues or gets sued.

Ha

Do an anonymous poll and I will respond. I wouldn't want folks to find out that I am a wuss that never sues or gets sued.

Ha

What makes you think the poll isn't anonymous? I see three "no" votes and I have no idea who made them.

(1) Seems to me that the only ones who win in most lawsuits, are the lawyers.

(2) Life is too short to spend weeks or months of it in court, if that is avoidable.

(3) Nobody has sued me! :D

I will fess up . I was sued in small claims court by a painter . The guy was sly . He had me sign a contract for painting my house & then later he decided certain things were not included so he forged my signature on a new contract & when I would not pay the extra he harassed me . He eventually decided to sue me since I was not bending to his demands . He lost & had to pay court costs & eat crow .

I have never sued anyone, nor has anyone sued me personally. But I believe that there is currently a lawsuit happy society. I have been involved in several condemnation cases for roadway projects, and it seems like an increasing number of cases involve some type of counterclaim against a highway agency.

I have been threatened but never sued. While I have never sued anyone individually I am party to a lawsuit currently underway, to recover HSA funds that were unlawfully withdrawn by the custodian's senior executives.

Never sued or been sued. However, at one point I received a letter from a lawyer threatening to sue. It frightened me so much that I "lawyered up". Apparently, my lawyer won the "war of words".

I was sued about a year ago in a work related matter. The lawsuit was frivolous, although it was embarrassing and caused me problems at work. Eventually the person suing me had their lawyer call my lawyer and say that the lawsuit would be dropped if I apologized. I told my lawyer to tell the other lawyer to call me back when hell was frozen over. The lawsuit was dropped anyway about a week later.

To the extent that evictions require the courts ... I've been involved with roughly a 1/2 dozen suits. One time the tennie lawyered-up and we had to compromise with some rent credits ... that was a "loss" IMO.

Watched a neighbor sue another over trees dropped that he didn't own. 3 years in the courts, thousands in lawyer fees, and an ulcer ... he "won". And said he'ld NEVER do that again.

I am the the director of a nonprofit and have been initially sued individually as part of a work related lawsuit. The judge made them take my name off, but I am still working with the attorney that the insurance company hired to defend us. It's one of those things where someone had an accident on our property and wants a huge settlement. It's been going on for years. Without going into details, I can say that it's all very frustrating.

After 45 replies to, 40% of those responding say they've been involved in a lawsuit. Higher than I expected so far...
I've been party to a number of class-action lawsuits about deceptive pricing (websites like Classmates.com) or stock manipulation (Abercrombie & Fitch, a few others). In most cases the awards are literally just a few bucks.

The ANF lawsuit was just icing on the cake. I'd shorted the stock for a profit, and a few years later got paid another $20 because the company was artificially pumping up the share price. Duh.

In 1982 I was attacked by 3 dogs running loose on my street. One bit me a few times on the thigh and back of the knee. Luckily, I wasn't knocked down because it could have been much worse. The dogs ran home so I knew where they lived.

I sued because they had been a menace in the neighborhood for a while and it was quite traumatic for me. My lawyer and I settled for about a third of what we asked for and then he got a third. The dog owner's homeowners insurance paid the claim.

While I'm glad I took action and got a result it was an awful feeling to get involved with a lawyer and take a position against someone. I don't like confrontation and during the whole process I felt odd and exposed. I didn't like having to take that route against someone, but their dog injured me and they were known to be irresponsible dog owners.

I hope I never have a reason to do that again.

I was sued 13 times over a five year period while serving in the military.
For my own safety I'll keep the position I had secret.:whistle:
However, in each instance the local JAG was able to obtain a dimissal without ever calling on me to appear in a court room.
The lawsuits went with the territory, but I did manage to set something of a record..:angel:

bold mine:
After 45 replies to, 40% of those responding say they've been involved in a lawsuit. Higher than I expected so far...

And that's all you can say - self selected polls tell us almost nothing about the population in general, or even the forum population.

-ERD50

My business has been sued twice seen 1989. Both were homeowners suing for problems associated with formaldehyde exposure problems related to plywood I sold. In both cases my company was dismissed from the lawsuit because I was a commission sales person only and had no part in the manufacture of the product or the sale to the end user.

bold mine:

And that's all you can say - self selected polls tell us almost nothing about the population in general, or even the forum population.

-ERD50
Thank you for pointing that out and helping me avoid major embarrassment. I was planning to use the poll results as the basis for my doctoral dissertation. :facepalm:

As a self selected responder. I have sued a township, have been party to several class action suits that I did not remeber joining. Last round of class action suit gave me some good mad money.

Seems TIAA CREF did some things that a Judge found unsavory. I do not recall joining the suit, maybe one had to opt out or some such.

Got a nice check in the mail, the bank said it was good. I'll spend it.

Edit add: No I did not vote in the poll, just because it would have required TWO clicks ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom