Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you been sued or have you sued an individual or business?
Yes, I have been sued 18 21.18%
Yes, I have sued someone 16 18.82%
No, never. 51 60.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Have you been a party in a lawsuit?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Poll: Have you been a party in a lawsuit?

This post by Nodak...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
... it was great fun but I don't think anyone would dare to do anything like that with our current lawsuit happy society.
...made me wonder how many of you have been involved in a lawsuit?

Please respond yes or no if you have been individually sued or if you've sued someone (an individual or a business). Feel free to post details if you'd like.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This post by Nodak......made me wonder how many of you have been involved in a lawsuit?

Please respond yes or no if you have been individually sued or if you've sued someone (an individual or a business). Feel free to post details if you'd like.
Do an anonymous poll and I will respond. I wouldn't want folks to find out that I am a wuss that never sues or gets sued.

Ha

Old 12-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do an anonymous poll and I will respond. I wouldn't want folks to find out that I am a wuss that never sues or gets sued.

Ha
What makes you think the poll isn't anonymous? I see three "no" votes and I have no idea who made them.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Administrator

(1) Seems to me that the only ones who win in most lawsuits, are the lawyers.

(2) Life is too short to spend weeks or months of it in court, if that is avoidable.

(3) Nobody has sued me!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I will fess up . I was sued in small claims court by a painter . The guy was sly . He had me sign a contract for painting my house & then later he decided certain things were not included so he forged my signature on a new contract & when I would not pay the extra he harassed me . He eventually decided to sue me since I was not bending to his demands . He lost & had to pay court costs & eat crow .
Old 12-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I will fess up.
Me too.

Almost 30 years ago I was sued - and it was a Federal case. The judge was Harold Barefoot Sanders, Jr.

I didn't lose.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #7

I have never sued anyone, nor has anyone sued me personally. But I believe that there is currently a lawsuit happy society. I have been involved in several condemnation cases for roadway projects, and it seems like an increasing number of cases involve some type of counterclaim against a highway agency.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #8

Nope, I was never sued, or sued anybody.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #9

I have been threatened but never sued. While I have never sued anyone individually I am party to a lawsuit currently underway, to recover HSA funds that were unlawfully withdrawn by the custodian's senior executives.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you really think anyone who has lost a lawsuit will confess here ?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Do you really think anyone who has lost a lawsuit will confess here ?
No. But then that's not what the poll asks.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #12

I am planning on suing you REW for absolutely no reason at all. KIDDING!

Love your posts

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never sued or been sued. However, at one point I received a letter from a lawyer threatening to sue. It frightened me so much that I "lawyered up". Apparently, my lawyer won the "war of words".
Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #14

I was sued about a year ago in a work related matter. The lawsuit was frivolous, although it was embarrassing and caused me problems at work. Eventually the person suing me had their lawyer call my lawyer and say that the lawsuit would be dropped if I apologized. I told my lawyer to tell the other lawyer to call me back when hell was frozen over. The lawsuit was dropped anyway about a week later.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #15

After 45 replies to, 40% of those responding say they've been involved in a lawsuit. Higher than I expected so far...

Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #16

Quote:
After 45 replies to, 40% of those responding say they've been involved in a lawsuit. Higher than I expected so far...
+1
Old 12-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #17

To the extent that evictions require the courts ... I've been involved with roughly a 1/2 dozen suits. One time the tennie lawyered-up and we had to compromise with some rent credits ... that was a "loss" IMO.

Watched a neighbor sue another over trees dropped that he didn't own. 3 years in the courts, thousands in lawyer fees, and an ulcer ... he "won". And said he'ld NEVER do that again.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #18

I am the the director of a nonprofit and have been initially sued individually as part of a work related lawsuit. The judge made them take my name off, but I am still working with the attorney that the insurance company hired to defend us. It's one of those things where someone had an accident on our property and wants a huge settlement. It's been going on for years. Without going into details, I can say that it's all very frustrating.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've been party to a number of class-action lawsuits about deceptive pricing (websites like Classmates.com) or stock manipulation (Abercrombie & Fitch, a few others). In most cases the awards are literally just a few bucks.

The ANF lawsuit was just icing on the cake. I'd shorted the stock for a profit, and a few years later got paid another $20 because the company was artificially pumping up the share price. Duh.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #20

In 1982 I was attacked by 3 dogs running loose on my street. One bit me a few times on the thigh and back of the knee. Luckily, I wasn't knocked down because it could have been much worse. The dogs ran home so I knew where they lived.

I sued because they had been a menace in the neighborhood for a while and it was quite traumatic for me. My lawyer and I settled for about a third of what we asked for and then he got a third. The dog owner's homeowners insurance paid the claim.

While I'm glad I took action and got a result it was an awful feeling to get involved with a lawyer and take a position against someone. I don't like confrontation and during the whole process I felt odd and exposed. I didn't like having to take that route against someone, but their dog injured me and they were known to be irresponsible dog owners.

I hope I never have a reason to do that again.