Mailed ballot in 61 28.91%
Will Vote on Election Day 85 40.28%
Don't plan on voting 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We filled out our absentee ballots last night, I will post them this morning. We can't wait 'til this is over, we are getting bombarded with phone calls.
We are too, and Louisiana isn't even a swing state. Lots and lots of robocalls, though, both to my landline and to my cell phone, all originating from other states. Oh well. Only 6 more days to go.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We are too, and Louisiana isn't even a swing state. Lots and lots of robocalls, though, both to my landline and to my cell phone, all originating from other states. Oh well. Only 6 more days to go.
Interesting. We no longer have a land line, but have had the same cell number for 8 years and I have not had a single political campaign call. I just assumed cell phones were exempt from charities and political groups being to call.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We can't wait 'til this is over, we are getting bombarded with phone calls.

No doubt! The rest of the free world probably shares that opinion. This has become so bad, it almost makes me think it would be better to be back at work. Almost

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In washington, we might as well be dead as far as national elections are concerned. Everybody knows how the state will go. One Senator and of course congress are up, but little chance of any change. Also state and county posts. I have had no phone calls, not many TV ads, but quite of bit of junk mail for state and county offices.

The most contentious ballot issues are the propositions- Gay Marriage, Charter Schools among the biggies. Oh, and marijuana legalization. If there is much opposition to gay marriage I have not seen evidence of it, though people might keep something like that to themselves around here. The other two I expect could be close.

Ha
Old 10-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

In San Francisco, I haven't seen many commercials for presidential or congressional candidates because there is really not much of a race (zero phone calls either). It's all about the propositions here. I read the county's and state's 150-page pamphlets detailing each proposition. Only a couple of them genuinely retained my attention.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In washington, we might as well be dead as far as national elections are concerned. Everybody knows how the state will go. One Senator and of course congress are up, but little chance of any change. Also state and county posts. I have had no phone calls, not many TV ads, but quite of bit of junk mail for state and county offices.

The most contentious ballot issues are the propositions- Gay Marriage, Charter Schools among the biggies. Oh, and marijuana legalization. If there is much opposition to gay marriage I have not seen evidence of it, though people might keep something like that to themselves around here. The other two I expect could be close.

Ha
I support gay charter schools with marijuana, but I don't live in Washington...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Let me get this straight.... you approve of gay charter schools so much, you are sending them your marijuana to support them
Old 10-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #68

I think he meant that he supports gay charter schools that HAVE marijuana.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Live the the DC area and have, on the basis of your important endorsement, decided not to support the Gonzo Party. I'm going with the Groucho/Zappa ticket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zappa groucho.jpg (21.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I think he meant that he supports gay charter schools that HAVE marijuana.

I don't think it was so clear....

That is why I took the other meaning.... just to have fun....
Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I've got my early and absentee votes cast. Now just waiting for election day to make a personal appearance to cast #3. Hey...... it's Cook County, Illinois!

Since the poll naively doesn't allow multiple votes, I couldn't find a choice that applied to us folks in northern Illinois.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:10 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In washington, we might as well be dead as far as national elections are concerned. Everybody knows how the state will go.
In Illinois, when we say we know how the state will go, we don't mean which major party will prevail. We mean we already know the final outcome down to the vote, precinct by precinct, ward by ward, county by county........ I think "THEY" finalized all the numbers in a meeting in August.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I've got my early and absentee votes cast. Now just waiting for election day to make a personal appearance to cast #3. Hey...... it's Cook County, Illinois!

Since the poll naively doesn't allow multiple votes, I couldn't find a choice that applied to us folks in northern Illinois.
I was going to use the "early and often" joke but figured it would irk some Chicagoan to steal their hard illicitly won thunder!

I'm actually still undecided on the National candidates, but plan on developing my "voting spreadsheet" today to analyze the candidates' position on issues that are important (or not so important) to me.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I was going to use the "early and often" joke but figured it would irk some Chicagoan to steal their hard illicitly won thunder!

I'm actually still undecided on the National candidates, but plan on developing my "voting spreadsheet" today to analyze the candidates' position on issues that are important (or not so important) to me.
I'm glad you are taking the kids, Fuego. I worked elections (as a paid worker for the State Election Commission) for years when I was younger and I loved it when people brought in their children so they could see what voting was all about and sense the excitement of election day.

Nowadays I vote absentee by mail, which is boring but expedient.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #75

Arizona the new show me state, are my papers in order. I will be the only one to vote when I show up. There will be 6 polling place workers. They all know me but will look at my photo ID, ask me to repeat my name all the way down the line, and ask me to hand over my signature. I know of 1/20th of our town population will be poll watchers in other areas in the county. But it is my duty and my right.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm glad you are taking the kids, Fuego. I worked elections (as a paid worker for the State Election Commission) for years when I was younger and I loved it when people brought in their children so they could see what voting was all about and sense the excitement of election day.
The kids always have fun. And I now see they are out of school on election day, so I can sleep in, then go vote.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The kids always have fun. And I now see they are out of school on election day, so I can sleep in, then go vote.
I recall when I was a kid, I was able to stay up late to watch the Monday Night Football game the night before Election Day because the schools were closed.

Back when I was a kid in the 1970s, my parents often took me and my brother to the voting location (our local high school) so I could watch them vote. Given that I moved around a lot i the 1980s, I still felt a bit of a thrill the first time I voted there even though I had voted elswhere in the previous years.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Interesting. We no longer have a land line, but have had the same cell number for 8 years and I have not had a single political campaign call. I just assumed cell phones were exempt from charities and political groups being to call.
You just jinxed it!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I recall when I was a kid, I was able to stay up late to watch the Monday Night Football game the night before Election Day because the schools were closed.
I guess they use some schools as polling places, because they didn't have this day off last year nor do they have it off next year.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #80

There is a rather amusing video clip being shown today with a little girl crying and saying she's tired of hearing about "Bronco Bama and Mitt Romney". I'm like, "I'm with you, sweetie".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote