View Poll Results: Have you voted?
Voted Early in Person 57 27.01%
Mailed ballot in 61 28.91%
Will Vote on Election Day 85 40.28%
Don't plan on voting 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

I mailed in my ballot on Friday. I have been using the mail ballot for a couple of years and really works out well.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a child my parents always took me with them to vote and explained the importance of voting to me.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Voted Saturday and waited 3 hours to do so. Something about Florida and voting doesn't usually go smoothly. I saw on TV tonight that in Miami - Dade, there was an on again / off again / on again Sunday voting event. I am sure that the lawyers for both sides are getting ready to replay 2000 hold-em-up-in-court if it comes to a Florida tie-breaker.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #84

Voted by mail 3 weeks ago. I have been voting by mail for at least the last 10 yrs. Wouldn't want to do it any other way.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #85
Administrator

Leaving for the polling place in 5 minutes.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm going at 10:00 a.m. Crowds usually not too bad around that time. Too early for my med's, so I should be able to pull the lever.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #87

Voted this morning at 6:02am.... Doors opened at 6:00am. In and out in 5 minutes.

Does that mean all the commercials stop now?
Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

We'll vote today. Small town so usually no line and takes 5-10 minutes taking your time.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #89

Parents are getting robo called every hour since they live in a swing state. Scary. But it will be over tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #90

Voted this morning

Just got back from voting - some observations:

Took about 20 minutes total, including the drive to/from our precinct.
More electioneering going on just outside the legal boundary than I remember from past election
Personal identification was used for the 1st time - or sign an affidavit - they scanned drivers licenses - actually seemed to speed things up over what they did manually before
Long ballot in our state due to a number of proposals - but I had studied the ballot before hand so was not a problem
Everything seemed to go smoothly - I expected that there might be some waiting.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #91

Just got back from voting. Took about 5 minutes to walk there, 10 minutes to vote, and 5 minutes to walk back home. I alwyas seem to get behind the person who causes delays, either at the table I sign in and get the ballot or at the line waiting to get my ballot scanned by the machine.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #92

I voted at 9:00am and it took about 20 minutes. 3 precincts all crowded into a middle school library. It looked jam packed but I quickly got to my precinct table and it went smoothly after that. Talking to a poll observer outside she said that my precinct was moving the quickest.

DH and one of the sons just left to walk up to the middle school to vote. They figured it would be easier to walk up there rather than try to find a parking spot in the middle of the day.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #93
Administrator

I voted at around 9:30 AM. My voting location is a neighbor's garage, and that garage is located right next to a huge parking lot for a now-defunct adult daycare facility. So, parking is never an issue.

There were about 25 people standing around, but it turned out that none of them were in line. I guess they were observers or waiting to find out where they were supposed to be, or something.

Anyway, I was first in line. All the voting machines were busy, but I got the first one that opened up. Quick and easy.

And just think - - NO MORE POLITICAL ROBO-CALLS! They have already stopped at my house.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #94

I voted this morning when the polls opened at 7am, with my kids in tow, on the way to pick up some more kids since it's my carpool day.

Got there at 6:55 - was #9 in line, was out at 7:15... and there were another 20 in line at that point. The early morning, pre-work rush.

Lots of parents with kids with them.

The family we share carpool with lives a block from the garage we vote in - so it was very convenient. Dropped the kids at school and was at work by 7:45.

Having the sample ballot with me as a guide saved mucho time... since CA is the land of a a gazillion propositions.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #95
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Having the sample ballot with me as a guide saved mucho time... since CA is the land of a a gazillion propositions.
I always take a cheat sheet with me too, just in case. This time we only had one proposition, but also we had nine state constitutional amendments, a congressman, and of course President/VP to vote for.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DW and I voted this morning around 10:30 and there were only two in line ahead of us. We were in and out in less than 15 minutes.

When I sat down at the machine to cast my ballot I noticed the previous voter had marked her choices but failed to hit the final "vote" button. I went back and changed her ballot to my liking, hit the vote button, input my own access code, and voted again.

Note: Everything after "When I sat down..." in the above paragraph is entirely fictional.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Voted around 10:30. Advantages of a small town, no line at all, and no voter intimidation outside Although I learned a lesson this time. Better not go without the eye glasses, as next election my arm won't be long enough to see the ballot choices.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Although I learned a lesson this time. Better not go without the eye glasses, as next election my arm won't be long enough to see the ballot choices.
Your situation appears to be not that unusual. I noticed two pairs of "loaner" reading glasses on the table by the voting booths.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

Voted earlier today. I enjoy voting in person on election day, something about voting on the same day as most others.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

We voted a week or two ago by absentee ballots. Reading this thread and all the excitement people have makes me want to go vote again!