Voted Early in Person 57 27.01%
Mailed ballot in 61 28.91%
Will Vote on Election Day 85 40.28%
Don't plan on voting 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #101
Gone but not forgotten

Illinois
No lines, voting 100 yds from house in our senior community common room. Only contested candidates... President, circuit judge and county clerk... all others uncontested... Penny tax referendum for schools...
Home, vote, back home 15 minutes including the short walk.

Proforma and habit...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since I had to run some errands anyway, I decided to vote, even though everything is essentially pre-determined on this particular ballot.

But I did get a warm feeling all over - though I attribute that to the young lady in line ahead of me who really knows how to wear a pair of jeans

"Sir, we can take you over here" - "No, I'm fine, thank you"

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
And just think - - NO MORE POLITICAL ROBO-CALLS! They have already stopped at my house.
Amen - starting tomorrow I'll be updating my 'selective forward list' on my phone system, which I have set to forward those calls to the FTC Do-Not-Call list complaint hot-line. Figured I couldn't keep up with the political calls (which are not 'violations' anyhow, due to our politician's 'above the law' attitudes), so I'll just get the telemarketers on that list.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Your situation appears to be not that unusual. I noticed two pairs of "loaner" reading glasses on the table by the voting booths.
That's funny. Sounds like a voter friendly place. Good to know there is a place that takes care of us 50 year olds. Young enough to still see somewhat without them, but old enough to be forgetful to bring them.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

20 minute drive to the Fire House to vote at 10:30 AM, Ms G was #29 I was #30 voter. More poll workers than voters. We walked to the Post Office, we had a package that had been there for 3 weeks to pick up. Went next door to the Library, Ms G checked out a couple of books. Drove back home by way of our other Post Office, spent about 20 minutes gabbing with the neighbors, than home just in time for lunch.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Yep. 25th voter this morning.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Attached Images
File Type: png 5097f3d80fc10.png (50.6 KB, 2 views)

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #107

DW and I voted absentee as we're 1500 miles away. Going out to find a bar with no TV to spend the night. We'll check in tomorrow to see what's new.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #108

I live in a small town and vote for local, state and national elections. I have never seen such a mad house before! Usually I walk in show and id and vote sometimes there are 4 or 5 people in line, today the line was dozens of people long. I never spent so much time voting here. I went as always about 11:15 am so I miss the voters on their way to work and when most everyone is in work, an astounding number of people at town hall. This is not a state that is up for grabs it is solidly decided so it isn't like this is a big deal here. Crazy!
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #109
Gone but not forgotten

I voted on my way home from the gym .It took ten minutes . Thankfully today the calls and political mail will stop.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

What? Nobody voted by phone?

We just got one of the newest "vote by phone" scam calls.

"If you haven't voted yet, you can vote over the phone. I'll jut need to verify your identity with a major credit card number..."

The calls are using spoofed caller IDs. In our case, the scammer used the name of a Houston telecom equipment company, and the number of a software business in Fort Worth, the same ones used in a "your computer has a virus" scam from early October.

I need to just route Caller ID right into Google, and display the results at the phone. This could make for great improv. Hilarity ensues...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #111
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I decided to vote, even though everything is essentially pre-determined on this particular ballot.

-ERD50
Same thing here in IL. I hope it would make any difference. Voted electronically (no paper ballot). No lines when I came in but a line formed after I was done voting. I did not vote for uncontested positions nor for retention of judges. Or for a position that was for another county. I don't know how it got on the ballot. The election judges didn't know either.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Having the sample ballot with me as a guide saved mucho time... since CA is the land of a a gazillion propositions.
I did not bring a sample ballot with me, but our local village newspaper printed a generic ballot last week. Here in New York with its weird ballot laws, candidates may appear on multiple lines of the ballot, so we often have the choice of which line to vote for our preferred candidates. Knowing which additional lines my preferred candidates are on before I got to the polling place helped save some time at the polling place later.

And in a sign of the times (for me), I have had to squint more and more to read the darned thing LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Since I had to run some errands anyway, I decided to vote, even though everything is essentially pre-determined on this particular ballot.
Same here. In my area of New York State, most contests will be landslides, from president, Senator, House, state senate, to state assembly, all incumbents will win by 10-20 points. Some of the local judicial races will be close but others won't be.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

DH and I voted around 1pm. No worries. About 30 minutes in line total.

Here's the story I'd like to relate to all of my friends here. My 82 year old mom was a bit worried - about the possibility of long lines, cold weather here in Virginia, and possibly other complications. I offered to take her but she refused. She likes her independence and only accepts offers of help when there are no other alternatives.

She showed up at her voting center around 10AM, noticed a long line and was a bit concerned. After her hip replacement surgery a number of years ago, it's hard for her to stand for a long period of time.

A nice young man noticed her standing in line with her cane and approached her. He was a volunteer helping with the election. He asked her if she would like to take a seat and offered to bring her a paper ballot to complete. She was relieved and agreed readily.

In a few minutes he was back with a paper ballot on a clip board and a pen in hand. The clip board even had a cover sheet to protect her privacy. She filled it out, handed it back to him, and watched him place in the box where the paper ballots went.

This warmed my heart. My mother has never missed an election since she was first old enough to vote. She grew up in Kansas and remembers her mother and grandmother talking about when women first got the right to vote.

Right now DH and I are relieved this election will (hopefully) be over soon. Mom is too.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Took me 5 minutes to vote here in GA this afternoon. Not much of a mystery which way this state will go and the rest of the ballot was a total waste of space. One Congressional race and about 10 local positions with only one person on the ballot.

What bugs me that we have so much technology but I have to get a paper form, go fill that out (name, address, DOB, signature), return and show the paper at one table, go to another table where they look at the paper and look at my driver's license, then go to another table where the look again, put the paper away and scan my license. Couldn't they just scan my license in the first place and eliminate all this paper? The whole process could have taken 30 seconds.
timeasterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #116

Voted this morning in my small town in Michigan. No lines, only took about 10 minutes or so. The presidential race will probably not be close here, but some other races (US Senate, state legislators) will be, so I definitely wanted to cast my ballot. We also have 6 statewide ballot proposals, and some of those may be quite close also. It'll be tomorrow before I hear most of the results...........I'm not one for staying up late to find out.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #117

Oh my God. This election is going to be close... Watching both CNN and MSNBC at the same time. Fascinating.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Oh my God. This election is going to be close... Watching both CNN and MSNBC at the same time. Fascinating.
Me too. It's going to be a nailbiter all night long I think.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #119

Well not so long after all :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron

Me too. It's going to be a nailbiter all night long I think.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
Well not so long after all :-)
After all is said and done, the results very much tracked what most polls have been saying all along.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote