Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Have you voted?
Voted Early in Person 57 27.01%
Mailed ballot in 61 28.91%
Will Vote on Election Day 85 40.28%
Don't plan on voting 8 3.79%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I voted on this polll awhile back with no comment....

But, I almost always vote on election day out of habit... I think having this tradition is good.... and since I still work.... I leave early

As someone else pointed out, the vote is pretty much decided for national offices by Nov.... you better vote for who you want in the primaries or you get stuck with bad choices... but, since the 'true believers' vote in primaries their picks usually win... (this is for both parties as districts are pretty clearly defined to be one or the other)...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I took the leap on the first day available in this state: last Monday. I was surprised at how many people were there (not that it wasn't manageable. everyone was very excited and friendly!).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Yeah, with all the hanging chads and other voter irregularities, it'll take a week or two for all the various state and federal courts to weigh-in and pick the winner.
Yes. If we have a close election, the individual convenience of absentee and early voting is going to turn into a big national inconvenience. Here in Ohio the window for mail-in absentee ballots only closes on Nov 16th. If there's a demand for a recount, that can't start before Dec 2nd. The electoral college convenes Dec 17th.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Voting on election day. It's kinda like shopping on Christmas Eve. Plan on voting a straight ticket for the Gonzo Party.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gonzocat.jpg (50.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Oregon is a vote by mail state although one can take your ballot to the elections office on election day. Mine was in the mail Friday.

I wonder how those who in states impacted by this storm will manage to vote. Voting machines need electricity.

I really like Oregon's voting process. Nothing fancy, mark your ballot, get it in by mail or in person. The only thing high tech are the ballot scanners.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Today begins week two of early voting in south Texas. My closest voting site is averaging 1000+ votes daily so far. I stopped by today on the way to the gym just to see if what the lines looked like and was surprised that there were many parking places so I took one and ventured inside. I was the only person in line. In other words, I had zero wait time. \

Our electronic ballot had 23 pages (many judges, constables, tax assessors etc to elect) but I cruised through that and was out in 5 minutes. I know it's not a race, but I got it done and was on my way to the gym in record time...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I knew little about some of the candidates for state and county positions once we get off the top of the ballot. But luckily I was sitting in a coffee house today and my favorite contercultural freebie weekly was sitting on the table. It had instructions on who to vote for, and what to vote on the propositions. Problem solved! Anything I had no opinion on, or no knowledge about, I just voted the opposite of whatever the Stranger suggested.

Ha
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #28
Administrator

We voted early, in person, 15 mins from arriving to walking out. Very efficient these days, swipe a wand over your election card, take a PIN code and go to one of the large number of machines available.

We'll be in Death Valley on election day and won't have access to internet or TV for several days.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I knew little about some of the candidates for state and county positions once we get off the top of the ballot. But luckily I was sitting in a coffee house today and my favorite contercultural freebie weekly was sitting on the table. It had instructions on who to vote for, and what to vote on the propositions. Problem solved! Anything I had no opinion on, or no knowledge about, I just voted the opposite of whatever the Stranger suggested.

Ha
Ah, as another wise man wrote,

Quote:
If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time on it that truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires.
Robert A. Heinlein, "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long" in "Time Enough for Love"
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I mailed in the absentee ballot a few days ago. I was so out-of-touch that I did not know about early voting in person until I read this thread.

I normally do not watch much local broadcast TV to get bombarded by political ads. But just yesterday, watched a bit of TV and caught a negative ad saying that if a certain pol gets elected as congressman, then a certain group of people would lose a certain very special privilege. What the hell? So, I am glad that I did vote for that person.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #31

We'll vote early but haven't done so yet.

Straight ticket for the cocktail party.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I will vote on Election Day. Straight ticket against any incumbents.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

North Carolina has early voting, so the DW and I hit the main library branch yesterday. About 15 minutes in total with a fast moving line.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll vote on election day. Lines not that long in our small city.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Wow, lots of early and absentee voters. It really could delay things if the tally is close. I always vote on election day. My polling place is a block away and pretty efficient. Since I can go after the morning rush hours now I probably won't have any wait.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #36
gone traveling

Voted last Saturday, another straight ticket for the cocktail party
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

I will vote on election day...and see the volunteers who come back for every election. I believe that one of the most important processes in the USA is honest, free and open elections...that who is our elected officials were really elected!
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We'll be in Death Valley on election day...
Oh my. I didn't realize you were that ill...
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a military member stationed abroad and am registered to vote in Texas. This year I was able to receive my absentee ballot via email (I don't remember having that ever before). Texas even allows military members in combat zones to fax in their ballot if they don't have mail access. Very easy.
Pajaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Can't vote in this poll as I'm undecided as to whether I will vote this time or not.

I pulled down our ballot from the County website several weeks ago to see if I had research to do, and as others have said, anything I'm interested in is pre-determined (we are not a swing state). No referendums of any meaning, the one position I am interested in has a candidate that is running unopposed.

I think it is my civic duty to conserve the gasoline for the drive there and back. Living in a non-swing State is a mixed blessing. On one hand, it sucks to feel that your vote really doesn't count. OTOH, I can't imagine being barraged with more political ads than we already get.

A few years ago, I voted in a race where my candidate won by a tiny margin. That is a very different feeling.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote