Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How long is your home WiFi router on per day (NOT your WiFi usage)?
More than 12 hrs/day on average 220 94.42%
6-12 hrs/day 3 1.29%
3-6 hrs/day 4 1.72%
minimal-3 hrs/day 3 1.29%
zip-zilch-nada 3 1.29%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
24x7. I designed 11n wireless receivers for the last few years before retiring.
So...if you were replacing personal equipment in the near future (next few months), would you stick with 11n or go with (possibly wait for) 11ac, 11ad, 11ah or something else?
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
If I am going to travel overnight or more I unplug the computers the router and the modem as well as the printer, more to prevent lighting strikes from hurting. Other than that it stays on.
+1 on lightning...
...and, don't trust a surge protector. Last year a nearby strike (didn't even affect the lighting in the house or any other "plugged in" items)...but... right through two surge protectors, and destroyed, main modem, Vonage modem, router, and a Roku.... just under the insurance deductible.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So my cable modem & router are NOW on one power strip/surge protector that will only be turned off when we travel (like we'll actually remember) so 24/7. And the desktop PC and other peripherals are on another PS/SP that'll be turned on/off once or twice a day. Thanks all...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
So my cable modem & router are NOW on one power strip/surge protector that will only be turned off when we travel
Until you decide you would like control of your Nest thermostat and security video cameras while you're away.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
So...if you were replacing personal equipment in the near future (next few months), would you stick with 11n or go with (possibly wait for) 11ac, 11ad, 11ah or something else?
To me that depends on how you are using it. If you are just going to the internet, that is the bottleneck, not your wireless speed. If you are doing a lot of file transfers between computers on your home network, or local gaming, a faster wireless might be worthwhile.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

If you want to protect against a lightening strike taking out equipment, you better unplug it as just turning it off is not going to be effective.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I suspect there may be some who already rely on cellular connections at home more than WiFi, we're not there (yet).

Interesting (IMO) related article http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac79/..._Consumers.pdf
IMHO- Cellular connections are not reliable enough in most non-urban areas to completely replace WiFi. I know things are better in the best urban areas, but even in sections of many big suburbs cell coverage is less than stellar. In my suburban home cell signals from 'Big 4' carriers (VZ,ATT, Sprint, TMO) are all marginal (0-2/4 bars), so I generally default to WiFi calling.

Obviously, my router is on (& encrypted) 24/7/365.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #48

FYI I just checked the power useage with my P3 Kill-A-Watt. APC 550VA/330W Battery Backup, Motorola SB6121 cable modem, Netgear WNR2000 N Router, Vonage VOIP adaper and a Vtech DECT 6.0 wireless phone consumed a combined total of 20 Watts. That setup won't cost much to run 24/7.
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
FYI I just checked the power useage with my P3 Kill-A-Watt.
I should get one of these. It will give me another thing that I can track and optimize in spreadsheets.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #50

Always on and always being used. 4 people, 4 iPhones, 1 iPad, 1 MacBook Air, 2 desktops, xbox, roku, Apple TV, thermostat.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I'm not tethered to the Internet. My router (ca. 2002) was given to me by my work. I rarely use my desktop, only for financial and email. My posts here are mostly on an iTouch (exception YouTubes that I hope aren't too excessive) and when the TV is stinking up the joint. I do have a Kindle that I enable to get a book purchase.

But the answer for me is that I leave it on all the time until it loses its mind and I notice that and I follow my Dad's advice: kick it in the slats.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #52

24/7 here also. Never thought about turing it off it as we use it most of the time unless we are sleeping.
I also unplug devices during storms.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Wireless is always on.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #54

Sorry to be boring but I'm going to have to go with the behavior of the majority here and say that mine is on 24/7/365 also.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I didn't even know my router had a switch.

Mine doesn't (Apple time capsule). You would have to unplug it.

Mine's also on always. Connected to it are:

2 iPhones
3 iPads
2 Macs
1 printer
1 Sonos system
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #56

1 Droid phone
2 Google TV (1 is actually wired)
1 Roku
1 Range Extender
1 Thermostat
2 Laptops
1 Nexus 7
1 Kindle Fire
1 Printer
1 Desktop PC (wired)
1 NAS (Wired)
1 Guest PC (wired)
Add a few more when the kids visit.

May I steal Midpack's OP?
Looking for new toys to add. Had many IP cameras at w***. Don't know if I want that. Have been looking at Z-wave. Recently upgraded my desktop PC but did not make it touchscreen. May get a wireless weather station with a phone app. What toys am I missing?
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #57

With minor (but significant exception) modern, communications-related electronics is designed to be left on all the time, with the most significant contributor to wear-out being the power cycling (turning it off and turning it back on).

The exceptions aren't trivial: Display screens of all sorts incur more wear during power cycling, but their wear during ongoing use is so significant that the net is in favor of power cycling. Also, laptop computers are designed with extra robustness in various components to account for their tendency to be power cycled.

Power consumption is another matter. Where the break-even is will depend on your appetite for replacing much of the electronic equipment you buy shortly after the warranty period expires.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Router and modem are plugged into a UPS/power conditioner. This takes care of many problems. Still need an occasional reboot of router or modem for whatever reason.

The power useage of router and modem is very low compared to other electronics. For instance, the comcast TV box is an absolute glutton. I measured the draw of these things a while back.

Off the top of my head, we may have 20 devices accessing the router, so it would not work well to turn it off.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Never thought much about this... Our electricity cost is so low, @less than $.07 KWH that just about everything is on all the time.
Wireless modem (no security)
Wireless router secured
Do you have a WIFI modem bringing in the feed from the ISP and an attached second router that you use to support your devices? I used to do that because I needed the multiple outputs of a router that the modem would not support. But if that is your setup why leave the WIFI signal on in the modem, or more particularly, why leave it unsecured?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

24/7. 2 cell phones, no land line.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote