Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do you live?
Home owner - git the hell offa my propity. 93 66.43%
Home owner with HOA - that toilet in your yard is NOT a HOA approved planter 23 16.43%
Condo owner, no HOA - we'll all band together to patch the roof when it starts leaking. 2 1.43%
Condo owner with HOA - screw that, I want a clean pool and a non-leaking roof. 8 5.71%
I rent. No hassle, no maintenance, no long term commitment. 10 7.14%
Commune dweller. Colleen Sunflower and Starshine are cooking this phase of the moon. 0 0%
RV dweller. 1 0.71%
Jeremiah Johnson is my neighbor - git the hell offa my mountain range. 3 2.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:How do you live?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll:How do you live?

Wondering how many own or are are buying their homes or are condo owners or renters - and how many are subject to HOAs! While there are benefits to HOAs there are some restrictions that might rankle. An example of some of the restrictions is here:
Top 7 insane homeowners association rules - The Week

I'm a home buyer, have been a renter before, never dealt with a HOA.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Home owner. Never dealt with a HOA, don't want to. DH and I don't like all the rules.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Homeowner, no HOA by choice.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Since we live in a rural subdivision with no zoning laws, I felt a HOA with limited restrictions - no "stupid" rules - was important. I don't want someone raising pigs on the lot next to me.

But in spite of our best efforts, it looks like the ranch adjoining our subdivision is going to finally get the necessary permits to open a rock quarry.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But in spite of our best efforts, it looks like the ranch adjoining our subdivision is going to finally get the necessary permits to open a rock quarry.
Oh...REW...I'm sorry. I thought y'all had 'em run out of there.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Home owner. I have also owned a condo, where our kids lived during university, which was subject to condo association rules. Some stupid things that happened include:
  • Condo association rules decreed that curtains visible outside must be white. We ignored the violation when kids' were beige.
  • Condo association was down on rental units. We didn't consider ours to be that. Sent a letter with DD (who was interested in this stuff) appointing her "our agent" to attend the association meeting. They decried that as a "renter" (I wish she had paid some rent) she was ineligible.
We sold it (since kids had graduated) about a year ago and will probably never own another. Condo association? YECCHH

Up here in the frozen north, an HOA is unknown. Sounds like a condo association for people who hold property free and clear. WADR, what is it and how is it formed?
  • Are you informed of their power before purchase?
  • Can one be formed after you buy?
  • Can you opt out?

Any other info appreciated. DW and I are considering (but not seriously, at this point) buying a snow-bird property. Don't want to have to deal with a PITA like this.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We live in a master-planned community with lots of rules that are not bad. Mostly residents use them to take on the businesses in the community and not other home owners. However, having a lighted hockey rink in your backyard was too much when the lights for midnight practices were on and 6 inches above code.

Folks wouldn't move here if they didn't like having like-minded neighbors and that suits us just fine. You need approval for paint colors, shingle colors, etc but all the tradespeople know this and won't paint your house without an approved color. Indeed, the local stores won't carry house paint in non-approved colors.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Indeed, the local stores won't carry house paint in non-approved colors.
Pleasantville.

I look off and on for a condo or coop, and if I buy one I necessarily will have rules for the first time in my life other than apartments.

I look for a goodly number of younger professional type people and try to avoid buildings that cater to the senior set. (Although I am that myself) Young people are preoccupied with their jobs, social life and sex, and they aren't likely to spend much time complaining about any nuisance that I could create. Also, they are better looking in the hallways, gym, and around the pool.

Ha
Old 09-04-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Home owner in a quiet street without a HOA . I formerly lived in a house inside a HOA and except for the association bullies it was fine and would not hesitate to do it again . In Florida most of the nicest areas are in HOA's . We're luck in that our street is small with just a few houses which are all very nice or in the family forever and when they sell they are gutted and rebuilt since we are on the water .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #10

I live in a single family home on the outskirts of a small city. My lot is small, but the neighbors on either side of me are amiable...elderly widow who travels a lot on one side; pleasant quiet young couple on the other and an empty field that is a designated green space across the street. Backyard borders on a narrow strip of woods beyond which is a public golf course. I think I picked a good spot. No one bothers me.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I look for a goodly number of younger professional type people and try to avoid buildings that cater to the senior set. (Although I am that myself) Young people are preoccupied with their jobs, social life and sex, and they aren't likely to spend much time complaining about any nuisance that I could create. Also, they are better looking in the hallways, gym, and around the pool.

Ha
My mom lives in a building with a large number of younger professionals. They might not spend their time complaining about nuisances, but they want a building that reflects their financial standing. They constantly push for expensive upgrades and the condo fees have increased so much that retirees are being pushed out because they can't afford to live there anymore.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Homeowner on a regular ol' suburban street, no HOA. Houses in HOA neighborhoods were generally out of our price range, and I'm happy to be without one. A construction dumpster sat in our driveway for about 2 months while we got the place sorted out, and other times big piles of gravel or sand sat there for almost that long. I'm fairly sure that would have caused angst among the typical HOA zealots, but as it was our neighbors were delighted that someone was finally lavishing some TLC on this midcentury atomic-era brick ranch "mansion."

I don't get upset when a neighbor gets a week behind on mowing the lawn or puts the car up on jackstands in the driveway for a week or two. This is a neighborhood where people live their lives and carry on their hobbies, it's not a movie set or a museum
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I rent, but not because it's a hassle to own something, but because it is too expensive.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #14

you need an option for "other". I live in a zero lot-line townhouse, which is in between a detached house with no HOA and a condo with no HOA. Unlike a detached house, I share a wall and a driveway. Unlike a condo, I own my unit from the foundation to the roof (as I understand a condo, your ownership stops at the inner wall surface of your unit, and what's inside the walls, such as plumbing problems, or on the exterior and roof of the building are dealt with by the HOA). There are 8 units—four duplex buildings—where there used to be a little ol' house on a big ol' lot. Each unit, which includes a small garden area, is individually owned, and each owner is responsible for upkeep and repair on his/her own unit. Mine was built in 1997, and I'm starting to think, even despite the downturn in real estate prices, I will be glad to be out of it not much past its 15th birthday. I don't think I want to know what happens when, for example, I need to replace my half of the roof, and the owners of the other side don't want to do theirs yet, or vice versa.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #15

We are homeowners and we have never been in a HOA. We never want to either. I agree with Purron, too many rules.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Bummer. Start a new thread and tell us what happened, if you have the energy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Around here if you buy/build in an area without a HOA, you might as well move south of the border!

Audrey
Old 09-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

+1 to the Samclem story. Quiet suburban neighborhood. If I was going to complain about anybody in the neighborhood it would probably have to be me and I think/hope we are doing the right things to stay in good relations. Not interested in subjecting myself to anymore rules if I can avoid it.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Around here if you buy/build in an area without a HOA, you might as well move south of the border!
What Audrey said...
Old 09-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
Administrator

Home owner for 27 years (5 houses), fully paid off the mortgage after 23 years, then started renting 6 years ago as part of our new mobile, "lock and leave" life style. Already moved city 3 times since renting started and are enjoying the lifestyle.

Don't rule out buying a home again in a later phase of our life.