Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Do You Make Decisions? Maximizer or Satisficer
Maximizer: I Like To Figure Out and Go For Nothing But The Best 10 17.86%
Satisficer: Oh, It's Good Enough For Me 37 66.07%
Other 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Many women set out to shop for a blouse, spend a Saturday afternoon at the mall, then go home with a new purse.

And they would go back to the mall on Sunday because they change their mind about that purse. Arghhhh! I am glad my wife is not like that.

I am going to be flagged for the above sexist remark, but I couldn't help it.

But speaking of shopping, I am wishy-washy at times too. And it happens when I do not know what I am looking for, or have any idea of what is out there. It would tell me that I need to do some research beforehand. On the other hand, a shirt is a shirt. Oxford, checked. Blue, checked. Cotton, checked. Where's the nearest cash register?

"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
On most things in life, I'm a total satisficer.

On big decisions (houses, cars, new computer) I'm a researching, over-thinking nightmare.

Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity.
krotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
A true 'maximizer' knows how to maximize the value of his time, and recognizes when 'good enough' is truly 'good enough'.

I'm a fan of the term 'it depends'. There's a time when only the very best will do, and times when just barely good enough is fine. It helps if you can recognize the difference and adapt, rather than take a one-size-fits-all approach.

I agree. Well put.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Only a few of the questions had anything to do with me and decisions.. the rest, like shopping or choosing friends don't register. How do you quantify on a scale of 1 to 7 "I never settle for second best? and how does that differ from "no matter what I do, I have the highest standards for myself?

Egad... have we come to this?

“Maximizers are people who want the very best. Satisficers are people who want good enough,” says Barry Schwartz, a professor of psychology at Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania and author of “The Paradox of Choice.”

Dr. Schwartz has developed a 13-level test to assess a person’s decision-making orientation.
Figgers... Swarthmore.... He never would have gotten away with this at Bowdoin.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Decisions is hard...

heh heh heh - I surfed this forum the last few innings so's I wouldn't jinx the game. Yea Royals - on to game 7. Fireworks in the neighborhood as I type.

If I did take the test - I'd probably be in the middle.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote