Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Do You Make Decisions? Maximizer or Satisficer
Maximizer: I Like To Figure Out and Go For Nothing But The Best 10 17.86%
Satisficer: Oh, It's Good Enough For Me 37 66.07%
Other 9 16.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: How Do You Make Decisions? Maximzer or Satisficer
Old 10-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: How Do You Make Decisions? Maximzer or Satisficer

Watching the morning news and a segment referred to a Wall Street Journal article on how there are two basic styles of making decisions. One is looking for the "very best" (maximizer) and the other is "it's good enough" (satisifcer).

What style are you?

From the article:

Quote:
Psychology researchers have studied how people make decisions and concluded there are two basic styles. “Maximizers” like to take their time and weigh a wide range of options—sometimes every possible one—before choosing. “Satisficers” would rather be fast than thorough; they prefer to quickly choose the option that fills the minimum criteria (the word “satisfice” blends “satisfy” and “suffice”).
The article:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/how-y...are-1412614997

After tallying my score on that 13 question quiz, I only had a 33 out of 91 (7 times 13), so I'm pretty much a satisficer.

The news portion:

How you make your decisions can affect happiness - CBS News

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

A true 'maximizer' knows how to maximize the value of his time, and recognizes when 'good enough' is truly 'good enough'.

I'm a fan of the term 'it depends'. There's a time when only the very best will do, and times when just barely good enough is fine. It helps if you can recognize the difference and adapt, rather than take a one-size-fits-all approach.

-ERD50

Old 10-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
A true 'maximizer' knows how to maximize the value of his time, and recognizes when 'good enough' is truly 'good enough'.

I'm a fan of the term 'it depends'. There's a time when only the very best will do, and times when just barely good enough is fine. It helps if you can recognize the difference and adapt, rather than take a one-size-fits-all approach.
That's about where I am with it too.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised that I went so much on the satisficer side.

That's one thing I learned from this article. Also, too, with age, as mentioned in both the news segment and article, I think folks tend to get more general, thus gravitate to satisficer.

One other surprise was that there really wasn't a difference in gender. But as I think about that, it does makes sense. Probably depends on the context.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

58/91 - but along with my 'it depends' statement, I had several 1,2,3s, and would have scored some zero or negative if that was 'allowed'.

-ERD50
Old 10-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Being on the younger side here, I went with maximizer. decisions are often very difficult for me trying to make the best move. Paralyzed by indecision sometimes.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #7

I definitely landed in the mid range.

But the questions skewed towards things I don't care about (clothes, videos, etc.) I tend to be on the make a decision and get-the-heck-outta-dodge for stuff like that. But big stuff - like what to invest in, who your life partner will be, what career - even what to make for dinner... those have more impact on my life... so I tend to evaluate a little more to make the best choice.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #8

I pegged myself as a maximizer and indeed scored 67 on the quiz. No surprises.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I scored 50, right in the middle, but my scores for the questions were all over the map. I analyze lots of data and take more time over decisions that are important to me or are irreversible, but not over little things.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

While working, my choices were mostly "good enough". Time was too precious to waste looking at options, once something met the need it was decided.

Now, with all the information available on the interwebs it is easy to research endlessly, and I happen to have more free time to do just that. Not on everything, however, just the little things that don't matter so much.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I got 47. I don't agonize over things that don't matter, but I seek the very best outcome for things that do.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #12

37. Some things matter a lot, others not so much.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:46 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I can't decide if I want to take the test or not...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:53 PM   #14

Decisions is hard...
Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
Other than consulting my magic eight ball, I agree with this.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #16

I scored a 70 out of 91. No surprise at all to me! I certainly never agonize over decisions, but I do thoroughly research and think things through before I make a decision. When I was just a little kid, my folks and grandfolks would give us kids a nickel along with the sage advice "don't go out and spend on just any old thing...wait until you find what you really want". I've carried that advice with me all of my life. And the other thing that I learned, was from Stephen Covey....."important decisions are seldom urgent, and urgent decisions are seldom important". Granted, there are definitely exceptions to that, but not very often.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I did not take the test. It would take too much time, and I already know who I am.

I decided to buy my 2 present homes very quickly. In one case, I was not even looking, but happened to see it on the market, and wanted it. In the 2nd case, I looked for only 2 days till I saw what I wanted. In both cases, I paid close to asking price, and did not bargain hard.

My last new car, I did not even spend time to do research. I hated the process of buying a car, so walked into the dealership when I needed one, and they had a SUV on a special sales. Deal!

Well, sometimes it worked out. My homes, I am still happy with, and do not have 2nd thoughts about the decisions. The car, I later found out that I could have had something more suitable for my wife if I spent time to see what else was on the market. But I still have that car.

So, when it comes to something of less value than the homes or vehicles, I am not going to spend more time agonizing over it. Either something works, or it doesn't, like my clothes.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #18

59 score, though consider myself in a both/and/but category.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #19
Administrator

How my young wife shops for clothes -- "I'd like a new blouse and skirt. Let's go to this department store and look at the ones they have. Okay, now lets go to this other store and try every single one of theirs. Finally, let's go back to the first store and buy the second thing I tried on."

How I shop for clothes -- "My blue dress shirt just disintegrated. Let's go to a store where they sell blue shirts and walk directly to that section of the store. Oh look, there's a blue dress shirt. Let's buy it."

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
How my young wife shops for clothes -- "I'd like a new blouse and skirt. Let's go to this department store and look at the ones they have. Okay, now lets go to this other store and try every single one of theirs. Finally, let's go back to the first store and buy the second thing I tried on."
Is DW her sister? She does the same thing.

My clothes-buying process is identical to yours.