Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Fooled ya. What temperature (fahrenheit) is it outside where you are?
>80 8 5.67%
>60 38 26.95%
>40 28 19.86%
>20 21 14.89%
>10 23 16.31%
>-10 11 7.80%
>-30 6 4.26%
>-50 6 4.26%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Poll: How hot are you?
Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Put a sweater on your diet coke!
Or put it in the refrigerator to warm up.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny how I live most of my life trying desperately to keep things cool and you work hard to keep things warm.

Wanna go halfsies on two really long pieces of pipe and a couple of fans?

Maybe someday someone will come up with some cost effective way of storing winter cold to be released on hot summer days and vice-versa.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

My family stored winter cold in the "good old days" in an ice house. Saw big blocks of ice from the lake, pack it in sawdust in the ice house for summer use.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
We filled that gap to some extent with little styrofoam balls.
So hundreds of thousands of little styrofoam men sacrificed their manhood just so you could be a little more comfortable in the winter? You should be ashamed of yourself!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

You know, I was going to go there, and decided not to...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
You know, I was going to go there, and decided not to...
Good move. Based on what she did to those poor little styro guys, no way I'm getting anywhere near her.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

So hey, I'll go first! I don't have a recent Waikiki bikini photo handy but I'm sure one of the kama'aina will oblige. Let me say that we got up to 82 degrees at Hale Nords but the morning was bitterly, bitingly, horribly cold. I was shivering in sweat pants and a fleece jacket, with longing thoughts of socks (if I could only remember where I stored them). Even the bunny had his fur puffed out-- 64 degrees. Fahrenheit, no less.

But we'll make it through the winter somehow, even if I have to spend the entire day going through this house closing EVERY window!
Hey Nords: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that your post a while back that stated "Two of my favorite things to do as a youngster was to set ant hills on fire, and pull the wings off flys?"

Martha: Hang in there, and please make sure that you don't "freeze your buns off". 8)

MODERATOR EDIT: Repaired quote
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #48

i was going to head up to tampa for a few days last week but it seemed a little too chilly there. but even here the temperature has dipped to 68 today. it's been so cold i had to turn the air conditioning off and put on socks. supposed to drop tonight to 58 degrees and then the rest of the week is mostly sunny skies with highs around 77 and lows in the 60s.

i have no idea what the "below" temperatures mean but i'm certain i don't have the clothing for it. i'm studying more about perpetual travel or vagabonding type of a lifestyle. i want to be able to further reduce my wardrobe so it all fits in a little sack that i'll be tieing to the end of a stick. to that end i've recently stumbled across this very helpful resource:

www.babakoto.eu/Travelplanner.htm

it shows rainfall & temperatures by month for all the world's countries. perfect reference for zigzagging around the world. yup, i'm pretty much gonna be in shorts, a t-shirt and flipflops for the rest of my life.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

lg4nb,
Don't forget to include sunscreen and mosquito repellent in your little sack.

Martha,
I normally walk with the 10-year-old neighbor girl to school, but it was -16 today at 7:30 a.m. I planned to take her in the car, but I heard over the radio that schools were closed. (She was happy to not have school.)

I did drive to work instead of taking the bus. A small area in the office has no heat. My room has heat but my feet won't warm up even with a space heater on.

At 1:15 p.m., it's a sunny -2 afternoon in our south central WI town. Too bad I don't have a window to look at the sunshine Oh well, at least I have a space heater. I feel sorry for poor people with no heat.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Same old same old here, around 70, typical winter weather. We did have a cold snap a couple weeks ago, I had ice on my windsheild in the morning! Come visit San Diego, you are always welcome for dinner, Martha!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Hey Nords: Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that your post a while back that stated "Two of my favorite things to do as a youngster was to set ant hills on fire, and pull the wings off flys?"
Hey, at least I waited until she brought up the subject!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Several people from our Greenboro, NC office are coming out to Phoenix today. We will have to let them know that we arranged 80 degree weather just for them.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstress
At 1:15 p.m., it's a sunny -2 afternoon in our south central WI town. Too bad I don't have a window to look at the sunshine Oh well, at least I have a space heater. I feel sorry for poor people with no heat.
My kids and gkids are hibernating in Madison (also my old home town) and we dare not even bring up the weather when we call.

They are considering a move to California; had enough of the deep freeze, I guess.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Our SVP left Friday. Since it was such a nice day, we all went down to the fountains in front of the building to take a group photo.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:25 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Why are you doing this to yourself?

It's an uncharacteristically cold 67 degrees here. Gonna build a fire.
A little bit warmer over here by the coast, west St. Pete, a slow drizzle rain right now though, but we'll take it since we're on 1-day-a-week lawn watering restrictions
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #56

High of 11 today in WV. Low tonight of 1. It is going to be in the 20's tomorrow, so the kids should be back in school.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Isla Mujers, Mexico over 80 everyday, and sunny....canīt, or wonīt, do a whole winter anymore
tio z
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #58

Darn titles...I was here to see some sexy ladies
Old 02-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Good move. Based on what she did to those poor little styro guys, no way I'm getting anywhere near her.
I think you're safe as long as you dont have tiny...styrofoam...balls...uh oh...sorry man.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Attended Super Bowl party in Fallbrook, CA (northern San Diego County) where it was a very pleasant 84 degrees.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote