Last 6 months 5 4.95%
Between 6 mos and one year 4 3.96%
Between one and 5 years 5 4.95%
Between 5 and 10 years 11 10.89%
Over 10 years 76 75.25%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I probably hold the record for largest twinkie private purchase. I raised hogs while going to college. There was an ad in the paper for hog food $40/ton. Some guy had the contract to pick up every week all of the rejects (over cooked, too small, etc) from the hostoss bakery. I bought 1 ton. My girl friend went with me early on Saturday morning. We backed up to the loading dock and I went in with the guy while she stayed in the truck. He showed me 20 55 gal cardboard barrels filled to the top with twinkies, pies & cakes. He said ' I pick the good ones off the top and put in my kids lunch'. I grabbed 3 and took them back out to the truck for the ride home, girlfriend had went accross the street to use the bathroom at a service station.

She was back in the truck when I started loading and turned around to look through the glass with a twinkie in her hand half eaten. The look on her face when she figured out where the twinkie came from was priceless.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
The non-twinkie consumers surely had the below combo at some point in their life. If not, you have just been given your assignment for the day. Enjoy.

Yep that looks familiar. Had those all the time.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had one a few months ago when I first heard Hostess may go poof. But only because of the story, before that I had not had one (regular or fried) for 30-40 years...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
The non-twinkie consumers surely had the below combo at some point in their life. If not, you have just been given your assignment for the day. Enjoy.

Now you're talkin'
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't remember specifically eating a Twinkie ever, but I must have because I know I don't like them. Never liked any of those plastic-y creamy filled cakes. Not ring dings or oreos either. (I know, how can I not like Oreos? Because I grew with Burry Biscuit Chocolate Chips and Oxford Vanilla Cremes and they were the best. Too bad the company went out of business 30 years ago.)

I do have other fond memories of childhood treats--Tastey brand peanut butter Tandy Takes and Fruit Pies! Yummy.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2moreyears View Post
I don't remember specifically eating a Twinkie ever, but I must have because I know I don't like them.
You'd remember eating them if you ever got the munchies back in the day. Then again, perhaps not.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #47

I had one 6 or 7 years ago at the county fair... it was deep fried. I had a bite of my husbands. (No way I would have paid for it, but I did try a bite.) That was the same fair trip that my husband made it a goal to have everything he ate "on a stick". So the fried twinkie fit that goal - along with the pork chop on a stick, etc... Silly man.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not eaten an entire twinkie for probably 35 years . I may have had a bite (to recall that I really did not like them ) about 25 years ago when we used to frequent a hostess outlet for cheap bread. That place really helped stretch a tight food budget.

I recall one health "expert" commenting that the wrapper was probably better for you than the twinkie.

Would not miss a hostess product that I can think of - but then I do try to eat healthy . I figure If I'm gonna save all this money to retire early , I might as well try to stick around and spend it .http://www.early-retirement.org/sk/f...coolsmiley.gif
Old 11-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

hmmmmmmmm... based on THIS group (+75% "MORE than 10 years") it is easy to see why they are going, going..... gone
Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I've never eaten a Twinkie.....nor have I eaten bubble wrap or cardboard.
Eh, when in a tight spot, a Twinkie would give you a quick boost of blood sugar. I don't think a bubble wrap would give you that.

Consumption of a Twinkie may be equivalent to putting a few tablespoons of sugar down one's throat. Most candy bars aren't much more than that. I rarely eat any sweet anyway.

About the cost of a Twinkie, I have no idea how much a box costs (back when it could be found on a shelf, not purchased by bidding on eBay). The Twinkies I bought most likely came off a vending machine at the university; I have no recollection of where I got them, only that I ate a few back then.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #51

Havent had a Twinkie since the early 70's. Since then, my taste for donuts has taken over and I don't need twinkies anymore.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, when in a tight spot, a Twinkie would give you a quick boost of blood sugar. I don't think a bubble wrap would give you that.
Ah, but you're not factoring in the taste differential.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #53

You didn't include a selection for "Can't Remember" because it was so long ago. Probably in the late 70's or very early 80's if at all.

Voted > 10
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seems like I tried eating one between 5 to 10 years ago. I didn't finish it because I thought it was old or bad for some reason. I remember eating a snoball cake even longer ago than that. I also remember eating a ho-ho long ago too. If I can recall, that was really good.
At any rate, I have adjusted my avatar to remain timely.....
Old 11-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
At any rate, I have adjusted my avatar to remain timely.....
So should we refer to you as Twinkie now?
Old 11-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
So should we refer to you as Twinkie now?
Purron, now you just go out and play and leave me alone....
Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if I have ever eaten one.

If so, I guess that I was not too impressed.

Many folks seem to love them, so we can assume that they will always be with us.

"America. What a country" Y. Smirnoff

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You'd remember eating them if you ever got the munchies back in the day. Then again, perhaps not.
That meant Jack in the box taco's at 1 a.m in 1973. I bet I haven't had a twinkie in 20 yrs but I'm kind of having a craving for one now.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #59

I may have had one when I was a kid (what kid wouldn't ?) but their bakery products were never huge in Canada. The Hostess crisps (potato chips) however were amazingly popular and are probably one of the reasons I prefer salty snacks to sweet. When I was a kid in the 70s they used to come in these sort of foil lined paper bags (pre plastic bag era) and the sour cream and onion and ketchup flavours were to die for... about a half inch of flavouring on each crisp...
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now you're talkin'
Good video. I'm going to buy me a pack of Moon Pies and RC Colas. Can't say I have seen RC Cola's in a while, but doing a search on the net they are supposedly still around. Of course I haven't looked for them lately either.

RC Cola International