Votes: 24 11.7%

Votes: 34 16.5%

Votes: 79 38.3%
  • 90 or more

Votes: 57 27.7%

• Total voters

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Before you vote... Since the voting will be anonymous, to what age do you expect to live...
Not from a life expectancy chart, but from your expectations, based on genes,
general health, and what your intuition dictates.
Not necessary to comment about your expectations in any replies, just a matter of curiosity.

Most likely 90+.

Not so much because I am that lucky, more because I think the average lifespan will continue to move upwards.

If there was a 100+ I might have gone for that.

Hmmm - 84? Dad 72, Mom 89.

heh heh heh - no idea really. :greetings10:

More importantly (in my case), how long do you expect your spouse to live? DW's genetics, education, and conditioning all are very bad for retirement planning. Planning for a 45-50 year horizon at a 55 retirement. Me? Complete unknown, so I didn't answer poll. All males in family smoked themselves to death and I'm likely the first one to run more than a mile on any occasion (or lift weights) after 30th birthday.

Basically, my expected age of death is irrelevant (given that we don't count Soc. Sec. in our planning)

The men in my immediate family (parents, grandparents) have always outlived the women by at least 6 years and more typically 20+ years. Being male, this is a good sign. I should live into my 80s.

Mom 68 Dad 82 and still going

Who knows...I budget 100...not sure I want to be that old but might not be my choice

Both my parents are 92 and still living independent, and 3 of my 4 grandparents lived well past average life expectancy (then or now), so I reluctantly voted 90+.

I'd take fewer years of good quality independent living versus the maximum possible years. Being Mortal (book), Why I Hope to Die at 75 (Atlantic article) and personal experiences have been thought provoking.

Last edited:
Men in my family typically die in their mid to late 60s, so there's that.

I'm hoping to be the first man in our family tree (since we moved to the New World) to make it to 70. That's a heck of a goal, huh? BTW, this was a big factor in trying to retire 'early'.

My parents died in their mid 80s. I have a more healthy lifestyle so I guess around 88. I chose 85 in the poll. My SWR assumes 90+

I am thinking early 80s for me. Family history is a bit murky on DW's side, but the women tend to live pretty long, I am thinking early 90's for her.

I am female with a lot of extreme longevity in my family. I am unusually healthy for my age of 66, except for my continuing struggle with obesity.

I use 94-95 for financial planning purposes. If I live into my early to mid 80's, then at that time I'll revise my plan so that it will last to 100-105.

I chose 90 for the poll. Realistically, my speculation is that I probably have until around 90 or 91.

I put 85. My grandparents (except an alcoholic grandfather), lived to 87, 87, and 94. My parents are still alive at 77 and their siblings are still alive as well (one aunt is 82).

I expect to live to be around 75. My parents passed at 61 and 72, but were smokers, so I'm giving myself a few more years. For financial planning purposes, we plan for 85 including leaving some for the kids as a cushion.

I really have no clue. On my dad's side, he's 71 now and pretty healthy, and his mom just died a couple of years ago, she must have been in her 90's. His dad died of unnatural causes very young so can't be considered. On my mom's side her parents both died in their 70's and I don't think she'll make it past 80 either (currently 66 with Parkinsons).

I lead a healthier lifestyle than any of the above-mentioned, so I picked 85 in the poll. But I base my retirement planning on living to 97.

Voted 85, both parents 'lived' to 92 & 96. I wouldn't like to have my last 5 years be like theirs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I plan for 90+ - but realistically, I'll probably die between 80-85.
Three of my four grandparents died by 72. The fourth threw me a curve by living to 91.
My parents died at 67 and 77. My brother died at 49. All the grandparents/parents/sib died of cancer... so I obviously pay attention to medical symptoms that might indicate cancer. I have no idea if there's dementia in my family since cancer wipes us out before we hit that point. My aunt turned 80 last week. She also fractured her hip leaving my cousins house that evening. I'm hoping for a full recovery for her. So far she's cancer free. But 2 of her kids have had bouts with cancer already.

My husband I planned for 100+. His dad died at age 90. His mom is 87 but has pretty bad dementia.

My biggest worry is broken hip. It seems breaking a hip past the age 70 is the start of the end. Less mobility, more dependency, and decline often happens soon after.

I optimistically said 80. I don't want to tempt fate with too much hubris given my family history of Mom passing at 61 (colon CA) and Dad at 77 (heart attack). The longest lived person in my family was my maternal aunt who died at 94 in 2011.

My Dad had a saying "You won't go before your time". So many things are out of our control even when you do all the right things and have no family history. A dear friend and co-worker is on hospice right now with terminal ovarian CA just short of her 62 birthday. She planned to retire in January. No family history of CA, thin as a whippet, worked out at gym 6 days a week and golfed on the 7th and did loads of gardening on her large property. Life isn't fair...

95, based on family history and my own lifelong obsession with optimal health (diet, exercise, etc.).

mid 90's. My Dad's parents passed last year at 92 & 93. My Mom's parents are 92 & 96 and have no serious health problems. My parents are in their 60's and have no health problems.

Forever but planning the need for money until 95 based on healthy living and family history.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

... A dear friend and co-worker is on hospice right now with terminal ovarian CA just short of her 62 birthday. She planned to retire in January. No family history of CA, thin as a whippet, worked out at gym 6 days a week and golfed on the 7th and did loads of gardening on her large property. Life isn't fair...

Maybe she overworked her cells. :angel: A friend of mine has said that he believes one's heart is good for so many beats, and he does not want to wear it out.

I am reasonably thin, with no problem with BP, cholesterol, or glucose. And no one has ever accused me of over-exercising. :)

Back
Top Bottom