Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you an engineer?
I am an engineer 121 56.28%
I am not an engineer 84 39.07%
I am not an engineer but, always wanted to be one 9 4.19%
I think engineers are hot 26 12.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Engineers appreciate disciplined, orderly thinking, so why would they disdain writing.
Nope.

My own experience observing fellow engineers has been that the good engineers tend to write well, while some really poor ones write like an illiterate. I suspect that would be true in other professions as well. Again, like you said, it's not like we have to produce poetry or anything.

"Just the facts, Ma'am", is what we have to write, although some engineering proposals that I have seen read like science fiction, and I do not mean this in a good way.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Never found an engineer that I could hold up as a role model.

The engineers I've known and w*rked with had the motto: There are engineers and there are others.
I hope there is no ill will lurking behind these posts.

Ever wonder why there are so few engineers in politics ?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At the moment, for whatever reason, this thread has had 528 views and only a total of 86 voters.

The poll is probably not generating a totally accurate assessment of the population here.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I was in school, somehow there were very few girls those years. In one class, there was this cute girl, and as I always sat at the rear of the class, I spent more time watching her than the prof! Yes, she was hot!
Same here. 55 in our class, 1 cute girl.

I was the lucky one who got to date her, and we ended up being married at the end of our Junior year so she was not only the first ever female EE to graduate from this particular uni but we were also the first ever married couple to graduate as EEs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (153.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

I was the lucky one who got to date her, and we ended up being married at the end of our Junior year so she was not only the first ever female EE to graduate from this particular uni but we were also the first ever married couple to graduate as EEs.
Alan,

Nice photo and congrats on winning her heart.

Question about your gowns: Were those your graduation gowns or did you wear them to classes (as I've heard that's been the custom at some British schools)?

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsamandjetsam View Post
I'm not too surprised by the strong engineering presence on the ER board.
The engineer in me says that one cannot make any conclusions at all based on a self-selected survey such as this. It tells us nothing about the total population, nor what % of engineers actually voted, nor how many actually saw the poll, etc.

The only thing we can determine is that 52 (at the time I wrote this) members identified themselves as engineers.

Geeky enough for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For my part, I've never understood why engineers love to proclaim that "engineers can't write." Do all engineers hold this view, or just the many I've worked with and managed? It's not as if anyone expects them to produce poetry on the job or something.

Business writing is a learned skill based on disciplined, organized thinking. Engineers appreciate disciplined, orderly thinking, so why would they disdain writing?

Amethyst
I think it's just a stereotype. There is some truth to it, but I've met people in many disciplines who can't write. Lately, it seems like professional journalists are among them.

Another stereotype is that Electrical Engineers are no good at mechanical stuff. I grew up tinkering with things, so I'm pretty good with mechanical things. But some EEs really were clueless with the physical world. But is that any more/less the case of the general population? I dunno.

Heck, I knew quite a number of female engineers that would be described as 'hot' by most guys. I feel sorry for any guys whose career path did not provide this experience. Not that I'm prejudice in this way anyhow, but it does help knock any ideas out of your head that a pretty/hot girl cannot also be smart about scientific stuff.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
I hope there is no ill will lurking behind these posts.

Ever wonder why there are so few engineers in politics ?
Ask Herbert Hoover or Jimmy Carter.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #48

I have an undergraduate degree in Electronics but on graduating, promptly became a DJ, a line of work that I followed for the next 20 years. My high school chemistry teacher used to call me Disco Dave, so my leanings must have been obvious even then. While in university, I directed much of my time and resources towards running a small radio station on campus. I think the main reason I went to University was because I thought I was supposed to get a "proper" job and wasn't somehow good enough to get anyone to pay me to do what I really wanted.

In retrospect, I do actually think I wasn't that good, but I somehow managed to find people that would pay me to present programs, do voice-overs etc. The luck finally ran out 3 years ago, but it was a fabulous 20-year journey.

No engineer here I'm afraid

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Alan,

Nice photo and congrats on winning her heart.

Question about your gowns: Were those your graduation gowns or did you wear them to classes (as I've heard that's been the custom at some British schools)?

omni
Thanks.

The gowns were hired for the occasion, and the chancellor, Lord Wilson of Rievaulx, handed out the diplomas.

Classes were very informal affairs, blue jeans and teeshirts were the norm although many professors wore their gowns while giving the lectures.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Not an engineer, though I thought about it when I was a sophomore in Univ. Engineering paid better, but I just wasn't as interested as I was in the pure science I was studying.

But, I have a great - absolutely true engineer joke - I say "true" because I was there when it happened. I say "joke" - well I'll let you decide. In HS, I had a friend (Earl) who's only ambition in life was to become a carpenter. His guidance councillor insisted that Earl take college algebra and he happened to be in my class. After half a semester, Earl's average test score percentage was barely in double digits as he had not applied himself to such a useless (to him) course of study. One day, the teacher, perhaps in disgust, asked Earl "What do you want to do with your life?" Earl answered in an absolutely serious way "I want to be an Engineer." The teacher (and most of the students) were stunned - almost to silence since they knew of Earl's test scores. Finally, the teacher said "What kind?" Again, in a serious tone, Earl answered "Choo choo." The teacher was NOT amused - but the rest of us were.

By the way, Earl DID become a carpenter and though he w*rked for a building contractor as his c*reer, he made furniture as a hobby - he was a master at it. Just thought you would want to know. YMMV
I enjoy a good engineering joke.
Mechanical / Chemical engineer here.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am not an engineer and never wanted to be one.
Looks like we are testifying here! Do I hear an AMEN?

Chem-E, me. The pre-meds in P-chem hated us because we got A's in it in our sleep. The smartest MD who I ever had a class from got his BS in theology because it was his easy-button. I have a bud who started out as a BsChE and became an MD because it was easy. He is as mad as a hatter, and rich as Croesus today. I prefer my life, thanks.

Miserable self did not focus in the beginning (or ever?) (I have been on two different deans' lists, with a war in between) so stinking grades and had to work for a living (to this very day). No threat to medical doctors from me.

I am in awe of EE's. They have solved every differential equation conceivable. We would (with great pain) define a situation with one and, golly, the solution is in a EE cookbook about 200 years old. There was this cat named Heaviside who did it all.

There are a lot of dingbat engineers. I am in that cohort (no defense offered). Yet I must say that I have had the privilege of knowing a number of men and women in my business who were well educated by any measure, thoughtful, well-read and articulate. It is not an origin to be ashamed of.

I want honesty. I give it. I expect it.

I want competency. I give it. I expect it.

I like to design stuff that works. It affects so many other people.

I don't like stuff that doesn't work. I like to fix stuff so it does work. There is a good living in that. Sadly.

I want things to be safe.

Some people are born to be doctors. I was born to be an engineer. I like to build, to fix, to improve, to repair, to innovate where I can.

We are not known for our 'people' skills. Wouldn't it be great if someone could be a good human being and a good plumber, too?

MykidsthinkIdrinktoomuchcoffeeIdonthinkIdrinktoomu chcoffee,doyou?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Heck, I knew quite a number of female engineers that would be described as 'hot' by most guys. I feel sorry for any guys whose career path did not provide this experience. Not that I'm prejudice in this way anyhow, but it does help knock any ideas out of your head that a pretty/hot girl cannot also be smart about scientific stuff.

-ERD50
Female students outnumbered male students in my engineering school (back in Europe). Plenty of smart and good looking women.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Alan, you made a nice couple!

My wife is no engineer, but I prefer it this way. Whenever I fixed something for her, she would say "You are my hero!".

It could have been just flattery, before she hands me the next "Honey do" list, but hey, I would not want to quarrel about technical stuff with another engineer all the time. How would you engineer couple do it?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Ask Herbert Hoover or Jimmy Carter.
Or Scoop Jackson.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #55
Administrator

Quote:

My wife is no engineer, but I prefer it this way. Whenever I fixed something for her, she would say "You are my hero!".

It could have been just flattery, before she hands me the next "Honey do" list, but hey, I would not want to quarrel about technical stuff with another engineer all the time. How would you engineer couple do it?
I know my place
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I almost voted that I always wanted to be an engineer but then I realized that I did much better as a BS Artist. If I had the discipline to be an engineer I wouldn't have made it as a manager.
I wanted to be Bob Dylan. Much later, I settled and wanted to be Jimmy Buffet. Right now, I would be happy sitting on the beach in San Pedro, Belize, listening to Jerry Jeff Walker.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

My wife is much smarter than me. She has more schooling and took more chemistry than me (and I am a chemical engineer). I am forever amazed that she decided to take me as her partner. (I think it is because I can reach higher shelves than she can. I will take what I can get.)
Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I agree, what a nice couple!

F. is an engineer too, but our careers and areas of expertise do not especially overlap. His degree was in mechanical, but he had lots of electrical too. Mine was in electrical so there was some mechanical required as well. Our careers were more widely divergent, since I went into oceanography while he had an amazing career in aerospace/defense. Still, our similar engineering backgrounds mean that we can have great conversations without having to talk down to the other or explain things so much. We don't really quarrel about technical stuff (nothing to quarrel about, it is what it is). Often we reminisce about those sorts of things.

Works for us...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #59

This topic is a variant of the Myers-Briggs poll: lots of INTJs here, lots of INTJs are engineers.

A separate observation: of married couples here, surprisingly often the men are the younger of the two. I suspect it's a higher % than the general public.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Alan, I concur. One very cute girl.

Er, uh, Alan, is she seated in the picture?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
1. i am an engineer