I am not an engineer 84 39.07%
I am not an engineer but, always wanted to be one 9 4.19%
I think engineers are hot 26 12.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I first arrived at A&M, I was proudly told (without having asked) that there was a full 8% female enrolled that year, more than ever before. Of course, that was across all majors. I think my graduating class in engineering was about 1%-2% female. To me it wasn't a big deal since I was treated like everybody else.

They must have also proudly told you that you can't be a cheer leader here. I must admit, I like a lot of the Aggie traditions, but this is not one of them.

At RPI, we had quite a few women back in the early 70s (maybe 20-25%) compared to many of the other engineering schools, but some were smoking hot and most were far less nerdy looking than the guys.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two engineering students were walking across campus when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"

The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."

The second engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit."

Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Q: What you call a non-anal engineer?

A: perpetually unemployed.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #104

While I followed the ME route, most of my engineering work was either Civil and Mining. Then an MBA changed the focus and engineering became secondary. However, engineering has always influenced my thinking. Son chose ME and then a masters in Aeronautical. His fiance has her degree in Chemical and is working on a masters in EE.

I would speculate those in the career fields of education and engineering would have a higher percentage becoming FI than people in other career fields. Has anyone seen any studies regarding people that are FI and their career field?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat44 View Post
I would speculate those in the career fields of education and engineering would have a higher percentage becoming FI than people in other career fields. Has anyone seen any studies regarding people that are FI and their career field?
I don't know of any offhand, but education makes sense, most retirees get a pension good enough to cover all their expenses and then some if they don't waste money.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post

By the later 80's it seemed that the majority of new grads I saw did not have this background. They were in Engineering because they were good in math in high school, and were guided to Engineering by counselors. And if they were very good in math, guided to EE. It was a job.

Over the years, the basic stock that most Engineers were built from changed, and I started seeing the ills in Engineers that I saw in the general population. So Engineers weren't as special anymore. And the people problems increased. Sometimes I wished I could have dispensed medications... forcefully!
That reminds me of an interesting story of recent engineering grads. About three years ago two fourth-year engineering students lived in one of my rental units. I received a call that their living room duplex outlet wasn't working. Since they were soon to be engineering grads, I assumed they had some basic analytical reasoning skills and suggested that they check the breaker. They claimed that it seemed ok. I went by that evening to check on it. After asking which duplex was not working, I flipped the wall switch near the entrance. The duplex worked fine. :face palm:

About a week later I got another call from the same guys about the outside floodlight being out. Remembering the last call I asked if they checked the bulb. Oh yes, of course they did. I went by later that evening and took a bulb anyway. Yep, you guessed it: it was the bulb. I never did find out who they went to work for, but I hope it doesn't required even simple analytical reasoning.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Not anymore. Now an unemployed slacker aka ER.

Yipee!

heh heh heh - I don't even worry about how to spell it. .

ok ok ok there was once an INTJ, lefthanded, EN-GA-Near who has faded into the dust bin of history after 18 years of ER.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
In my worklife, I saw it shift over the years. EE's of the 1970's that I knew or worked with were by and large more physical based. They tended to have a lifetime background of wonder of how things worked, took things apart, etc. This ability to take something that one did not understand, break it down into pieces, figure out the sub-parts, then work up to the system level served them (and me) well. Later, even if you could not physically break down a component, subsystem or system, you had the ability to do it mentally.

By the later 80's it seemed that the majority of new grads I saw did not have this background. They were in Engineering because they were good in math in high school, and were guided to Engineering by counselors. And if they were very good in math, guided to EE. It was a job.
I graduated from engineering in 90's and I think I fit the second mold you describe. My brother (also an engineer now emerg doc) used to make fun of me because I didn't want to help him change the oil on his car as I'd get my hands dirty/greasy. Also took apart too many things trying to fix them and wondering why I had screws left when I put everything back together.

Anyway, switched to cs for grad school. I still make "stuff" but it's all intangible (statistical models) and i don't have to get literally dirty.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

I was an ME. PE in Ohio but gave that when I RE 7 years ago in August. Being able to fix everything help LBYM. Today I let someone else change the oil about half the time, most often because the dealer has sent a free coupon. DW is CPA and joined me in RE last year. I was her handymen.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I'm a chameleon engineer...dabbled in a lot of things but never specialized.
BS Physics
21 credits MSEE (got bored and never finished)
J*b title was Electronics Engineer (0855 series with fed govt)
2 US patents

Does all of that count?

Oh, and yes, engineers are hot, or so I am frequently told on dress-up days.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

I've satisfied the EE side of my brain in ER by modeling equity & bond market timing -- in great detail.

The underdeveloped right side of the brain is now getting a workout:
1) oil painting
2) drawing with different media
3) reading good fiction
4) more gardening
5) dealing with the emotional side of spending instead of saving
Old 03-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I've satisfied the EE side of my brain in ER by modeling equity & bond market timing -- in great detail.

The underdeveloped right side of the brain is now getting a workout:
1) oil painting
2) drawing with different media
3) reading good fiction
4) more gardening
5) dealing with the emotional side of spending instead of saving
Same here!

One of the first things I did upon retiring was to crack some biology & geology texts because I had never had the "luxury" of studying natural history. I had some serious catching up to do! This was important to supplement my dedicated hobby of hiking, birdwatching, and outdoor appreciation of nature in general.

I also got involved in the art of creating beautiful images from nature (i.e. nature photography) which meant mastering composition, lighting and color. All the way to graphic design, actually, to go beyond just the photograph.

I don't really care if I don't design another circuit or write another line of code again. Well, I do like dabbling in my spreadsheets occasionally, and DH and I did get involved in all of the electrical/electronic/network issues as our house was built.

Audrey
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #113

From the time I was very young I was doomed to become an engineer. When things would break around the house, I got first crack at them before they were thrown in the trash. I was able to design and build a lot of neat stuff from discarded parts. Things that had motors (clocks, lawn mower engines, etc) were especially prized.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #114

... the CE part stands for Civil Engr.

See this post.

-CC
Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Same here!

One of the first things I did upon retiring was to crack some biology & geology texts because I had never had the "luxury" of studying natural history. I had some serious catching up to do! This was important to supplement my dedicated hobby of hiking, birdwatching, and outdoor appreciation of nature in general.
I forgot to add all that wonderful nature stuff! While running in the park I check out all the wildlife and do some serious wondering about geology and where all this great stuff came from.

I think we are finding that balancing the right & left brain functions is a nice path to real happiness.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Not anymore. Now an unemployed slacker aka ER.

Yipee!

heh heh heh - I don't even worry about how to spell it. .

ok ok ok there was once an INTJ, lefthanded, EN-GA-Near who has faded into the dust bin of history after 18 years of ER.
Mick, you is my role model. Talkin' survival here. (Not personally LH, but father, brother, FIL and son are/were.) I am not sure I could do what you have done, but knowing it can be done makes it possible.

Be well. Live long and prosper.

old Ed
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #117
Dryer sheet aficionado

Started working on cars as my passion at a young age, took 3 years auto mechanics in HS, never went to college other than a few Tech classes, took a job in a textile mill as a mechanic, went to work building machinery from blueprints, went into the engineering department detailing, then designing, ran the engineering department for awhile, designed system concepts for major corporate projects.
Now I mainly design multi million dollar machines which require stress calculations, speed and torque calculations, metal fatigue, service factors, componet life expectancy, etc...

But since I don't have the degree, by some peoples standards I'm not an actual Engineer.
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones

I do have a PHD though.
Parker High Diploma
Old 03-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

So I wanted to vote yes on the last few questions...but it wont let met...dang
I am not an engineer but, always wanted to be one 94.55%I think engineers are hot
Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #119

At Virginia Tech they had a specific course called Engineering Economy that all Engineers were required to take their Senior year...

they tried hard to mask the course as a introduction to the world of business and smart practices in managing corporate expenses, saying it was crucial if we ever made the jump from Engineering profession into management or running our own companies.

Half of the lectures revolved around personal wealth management and the power of compounding interest. Also stating that even if we didn't deal with the business side, we needed to know how it worked to be a well rounded employee. I already knew about these things from all the math intense courses I took, but this specific class sent me down a path towards financial independence and living below my means.

Looking back I see the clear motive in requiring this class... the university wants financially intelligent high earning individuals to give back to the school. It doesn't do them good to send out six figure professionals who fall into the consumer lifestyle and never accumulate true wealth...

Engineers are also typically wired differently... there isn't a stigma surrounding the profession that they live large and spend large. Psychologically, it is more difficult as a Doctor not to drive the expensive car or live in the abundant house... because society would ask... "you're a doctor, why are you not?"...
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm a chameleon engineer...dabbled in a lot of things but never specialized.
BS Physics
21 credits MSEE (got bored and never finished)
J*b title was Electronics Engineer (0855 series with fed govt)
2 US patents

Does all of that count?

Oh, and yes, engineers are hot, or so I am frequently told on dress-up days.
Definitely counts. The best "engineer" that I ever knew as far as designing and fixing process machinery was concerned had a in BS Physics.

Tags
1. i am an engineer