Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Got a Flat, Who Are You Gonna Call?
No problem - I'll fix it myself 71 57.72%
No problem - That's what roadside assistance is for 46 37.40%
No problem - That's what a spouse/friend/good samaritan is for 2 1.63%
Problem - I'm totally unprepared 1 0.81%
Other 3 2.44%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #41

I've thought about this often over the years, and I'm always amazed at how tire quality has steadily increased.
When I was young, flat tires were extremely common (usually at night, in the rain), but over time they have become extremely rare.

I remember getting a private tour through the Goodyear tire factory in Akron back in the late 70s, and the manufacturing process was much higher tech than I expected, even then.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I call myself...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

The last 5 out of 6 vehicles I've owned , always bought full-sized rims and spare tires (wife's Taurus wagon can't accomodate a full-size, so we're stuck with the donut tire). Memory indicates none of these tires ever hit the ground, so I guess I do it for the comfort factor and the fact that donut sizes can throw off the alignment and you aren't supposed to drive over 50mph. I also carry a 4-way lug wrench in each vehicle (super hard loosening lug nuts after tire shop has overtighted them after a rotation, etc), plus a can of WD-40 and regular oil among other tools. As said before, the hardest part would be getting the jack to work after so many years of sitting and not being used.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:53 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have noticed that over the years, I tend to have more flat tires in the rear due to nails than in the front. My theory is that as the front tires run over the nail or screw, the latter got stood up, if only momentarily, for the rear tires to get impaled.

Do you have the same experience?
Yep. Kick it up, pick it up. And more often right rear (nearer the lower part of the crown in the road, where debris migrates).
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've changed a hundred or more. Last one, at home in driveway, my Silverado has a safety lock on the cable that cranks the spare down. It wouldn't release, so I touched the spring(8" with coils of 1/4" spring steel), immediate release with the meat of my finger trapped.

Realized I couldn't escape with my finger intact, no one around except DW. She calls 911, they hear 'man changing tire is trapped under truck'. Twenty minutes later, ambulance, two emergency vehicles, and a pumper were there. I sheepishly asked if they had some needle nose vice grips. A minute later I'm free, they asked if I want to go hospital via ambulance? I asked if the ER could fix my pride? We all had a good laugh, lesson learned wack that saftey spring with tire iron.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #46

Here's a picture I took a few days ago of a Cartagena de Indias "flat tire", hehe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Panama Canal Cruise 2014 304.jpg (625.9 KB, 4 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MRG, Wow, you are really lucky. Hope there was no permanent damage.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

In the 40's (war years), changing a flat was a no brainer. Dad's 29 Ford, and then 39 Olds, with a powderpuff paint job (who remembers that?) had tires, and tubes with literally a dozen or more patches. I learned at age 7 or 8 "how to". In those days, you wore tires down to the cloth treads, and flats were common. Even if you had money, you couldn't buy new tires.
So today... Never realized that my insurance included road service... Called Michigan office from Florida... Turnpike and 10 miles from nearest exit. Service truck there in 20 minutes, and on our way in another 5. Free. Small add on to insurance, nowhere near the Allstate or AAA fees.

And about flats... with older cars, wheel rims become corroded and tiny leaks happen. I use one can of sealer for four tires. If the guy at Walmart complains, I ask him why his company sells the product. So sorry... not my problem. Now, pressure checks don't show any leaks.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

A couple of years ago on a winter night, I got a flat in my truck - and I called DW. She brought me my coveralls, boots, hat and gloves so that I could change the tire without freezing to death. I've kept disaster clothing in my truck ever since
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have AAA and run flat tires.