Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When do you start feeling uncomfortable with no internet access?
Need to check at least once a day 57 51.35%
1 or 2 days 20 18.02%
3 to 5 days 8 7.21%
About a week 8 7.21%
Over a week is fine 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

While we were living on the road we occasionally were in a location where there was little or no internet access. Sometimes no phone access either. It was never a problem unless there was a problem. Once we were negotiating a sale on a condo and had to drive 20 minutes to have communication of any sorts. Other times only if there was a need to keep in touch with family because of illness, etc.
Then there was the time we rented a boat and spent a week on the Midi Canal in France and a hurricane blew through our hometown. We still had the big house so it was a bit traumatic trying to get information.
Other than that it was kind of nice not having that distraction.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #22

When traveling, we've gone about a week or two without Internet access, but fortunately, outside of the USA, there are many restaurants and bars that have it, so we could usually find a spot before we all got too twitchy.

You should have seen the millennial's mad dash for the McDonald's in Astrakhan, Russia, near the Kazakh border because we had been told they had wifi, after a week and a half of no access. It did improve our conversations immensely to have nothing to do but talk to each other!

At home, I'm always on my phone though. Right now DH, roommate and I are all sitting on the porch, absorbed in different internet activities. We do sometimes stop to share something interesting we've read, but it is mostly silence.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I go to some backwoods place, or mountains hiking... could be several weeks. But otherwise I'm connected most of the time. So.. a few weeks to a month... likely will do longer trips in ER.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #24

For me the internet has multiple divisions. I can do without it completely for a week or so.I can do without the news and entertainment for much longer. Just never had to. Then there is the manage my personal life and finance part. Almost all my bills, banking, investing, and such is done over the net. I could live without knowing but it would bug me after awhile. Then there is communications. Week off, yea, but after that need to check text and email. I still go to the post office every day! Even when I know we won't get any real mail.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #25

Generally a matter of hours if it is an unplanned/uncontrolled outage.

With cheap cellular hotspots now available, I now have at least a partial alternative during these times.

-gauss
Old 06-08-2015, 07:18 AM   #26

I can go without general internet for many days when out of town. But the family is plugged in too many activities such that going without at least checking email is difficult. Smart phones solves that issue.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #27

I think people are not being entirely honest if they're not choosing the first choice.

I have gone paperless whenever possible. Extended outage would be inconvenient.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I think people are not being entirely honest if they're not choosing the first choice.

I have gone paperless whenever possible. Extended outage would be inconvenient.
Yeah, how one quantifies "uncomfortable" is a judgement call:
- one day and I'm getting paying attention to sitting properly 'uncomfortable'
- 1 or 2 days and I'm sitting on a too soft and too close to the floor old couch
- 3 or 5 days and I'm sitting on a really comfy chair, thinking this is the life
- about a week and I'm adjusting my sitting position to avoid a broken spring
- over a week, I just can't even sit anymore...
Old 06-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
8-12 every day unless I am on a project or on holidays.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #30

I don't need to use the Internet daily, but I use it daily. It depends, but I could probably go several days without Internet access before it would really become "inconvenient".
Old 06-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

If I got a good night's sleep (minimal hot flash activity), I'm up anywhere from 6 AM - 9 AM. If not, I do the bed slug thing and sleep in until 10:30 AM. I do not get up if I don't feel fully rested.

If up earlier, I always log on while having my coffee in the morning. I check email, then go to the google news site, read a few stories that are not depressing, and maybe visit here.
Once my daily nagging timer goes off at 9 AM, I get away from the computer and do kitchen chores, play with plants, dust or vacuum or get laundry going. I may come back for a quick 5 minute sit down and read email session if my hands start to feel sore doing chores.
By 11 AM, my chores are done and then I decide what big project I'll get done for the day. Or none at all.
Mr B's computer time is usually while I'm being a bed slug. He still needs some time to shake off the groggies before he can carry on a conversation.

Since Mr B recently quit doing his Legion financial officer duties, we spend more analog time together in the morning and throughout the day. It's nice to have him back on the planet.

I only access the internet via my cell phone (Andriod) for radar weather and the MLB schedule. Otherwise, I use the laptop.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hoping there is some truth to part of an active mind can mean researching and googling. I love doing that and con go for sometime.

DW does puzzles and such. I like the net and some web site development. Lots of email but I do no social stuff.

So for me I love the net and all it has to offer.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I guess I don't understand the point of the question/poll.

What difference does it make? So I check the weather, check stocks, check the news, research something I'm interested in, make hotel reservations, search for someone to take out my dead tree, listen to some youtube videos of music from my youth? That's what it is there for. Why would I care to 'go without'? Is there some kind of 'badge of courage' for doing w/o?

To me, this is like asking "How long can you go without reading a book"? Why would it matter to anyone? Is it a good thing?

-ERD50
Old 06-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #34

I can actually go a few days not using the internet (e.g. marathon watching or reading sessions) but I feel uncomfortable not having an always on internet connection. It's become akin to a security blanket.

That said, internet is a must have the first and last week of the month when I do/schedule all the bill paying.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I guess I don't understand the point of the question/poll.

What difference does it make? So I check the weather, check stocks, check the news, research something I'm interested in, make hotel reservations, search for someone to take out my dead tree, listen to some youtube videos of music from my youth? That's what it is there for. Why would I care to 'go without'? Is there some kind of 'badge of courage' for doing w/o?

To me, this is like asking "How long can you go without reading a book"? Why would it matter to anyone? Is it a good thing?

-ERD50
Exactly! It's a tool for me. I use it to get things done. I can see if you were doing something repetitive and non-productive, and you felt compelled to keep doing that, then maybe there's the "addiction" angle, but that's not how I use my connectivity. The closest thing I have to the addiction thing is reading and posting here, but I excuse that because I do run into exceptional wisdom here sometimes.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #36

Over in Sardinia, Italy now.

Bought a 4G data package for 30 Euros to use during my 2 week trip.

Sardinia doesn't seem to be as well known to Americans but appears to be a popular destination for Italians and Europeans.

There is an archipelago off the northern coast called La Maddalena. I had pretty good coverage throughout an 8 hour boat tour. Many of the smaller islands are uninhabited but people go to them for stunning beaches.

Had decent coverage even on these smaller islands. Mostly used Internet to connect my iPhone when I took pano shots and videos, to embed GPS data and to do some surfing on the boat.

Here is a speed test from the boat, near the main island, which has a good sized city.

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Taken here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=41.208457,9.415477

Now if I can't do without Internet during a trip to a beautiful locale, what hope is there?
Old 06-11-2015, 12:43 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I spend a lot of time out and away from any form of internet connectivity. Weeks at a time. As long as my attention is occupied with something else, I don't miss it at all. It's a habit that is more like an addiction and there are triggers. When I'm away from those triggers, I just don't miss it. Like it's a whole other life I live on the road and traveling around.
My kids hate it though. They chastise me for being out of contact for that long. I don't own a smart phone and I only turn on my antiquated cell phone when I need to make a call.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:09 AM   #38

When backpacking, I go a week without internet and feel fine.

After about a week without reading I do need to start a new book though.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #39

Internet is convenient but doesn't bother me to be without it at all. Quite happy reading books / newspapers / listening to radio / talking to others to get information when the internet isn't available. For interactions with people, I personally don't find things like facebook, twitter provide any meaningful interactions. Though I like email, I find the younger generation often doesn't put much effort into writing in that context, they seem to prefer things like facebook etc.... Having said all that, I find there are pockets of information including people interactions (like this forum) that really add value that I wouldn't easily find elsewhere. I really appreciate having access to those things. Unfortunately, as I dig around for new useful stuff, I find I have to cull through a huge amount of stuff without any more value than network / cable TV content.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #40

What if you mainly keep up with the news though the web?

I have not bought a paper in over 15 years. I will take a paper if they're passing them out on a flight though.