Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: For most of my career
I liked the job OK, but the people made me want to retire. 35 22.29%
I like the people OK, but the job itself made me want to retire. 23 14.65%
I didn’t like the job or the people. 11 7.01%
I liked the job and people all in all, I wanted to retire due to age, health and/or for other activities. 88 56.05%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Job Satisfaction
Old 04-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Job Satisfaction

Sometimes we see posts stating ‘I want to retire/retired early because I hate my job’ outright, along with subtler variations. Fortunately I enjoyed my career mostly but at the end I got bored with my job but I could do it in my sleep, and there was still satisfaction in each success, and in developing/promoting people. In the end hiring and developing people was the most satisfying aspect of my job, I “produced” more “promotables” than any of my peers. I left more because of a handful of people at my site, and a bunch more at Corp, they filled my BS bucket, much more than the job itself.

So I wondered if there were others where it isn’t/wasn’t the job as much as the people.
  • Job includes the work itself, workload/salary, facilities/tools/budget, benefits, rules & regulations, etc.
  • People includes bosses, coworkers, direct reports, customers, shareholders, auditors/regulators (not standards or regulations)
Where it’s both, just do your best to delineate.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I liked my work, my colleagues and most of our clients. I retired more because I didn't need to work anymore and had better things to do wih my time than work and travel associated with work. Once we had plenty, if I had continued to work the principal beneficiaries would have been the federal and state governments, our charities and our kids... and that wasn't good enough compared to having every day be a Saturday.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
Administrator

For most of my career I enjoyed my job, and I had some great bosses for most of it. At age 50 my latest boss, who I really liked, got promoted and moved on, the new one was a bit of a micro-manager but an okay guy. However, I was now FI but wanted to keep on with the company for another 5 years to qualify for Health Insurance so from that point it became a drag. I was fortunate that an opportunity arose to move out of State to Corporate HQ and take on a very challenging role for a few years. In those last 5 years I worked for 5 different managers, 3 good, 2 not so good but I was so pleased when my ER date arrived at age 55. (The last 5 years I was considered to be a 'fixer' and moved from one problem area to another so it certainly helped the time pass quickly but was very tiring).
Old 04-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #4

I liked what I actually did. I liked the people I worked with closely. I liked most of my bosses over the years.

I didn't like artificial deadlines, politics, some of the corporate culture and decision, and general BS. I didn't like being told that I couldn't take my team out for a lunch - even if I paid for it - because of "optics". Or that the best person who worked for me couldn't get a stellar rating because they weren't on the super-star project. Or that I had to fire someone quite good, and keep someone quite terrible, because the terrible person was more technical. Or working on a 10 page powerpoint for 2 months only to have the CEO cancel the meeting the night before.

So it's more nuanced than job or people - it's the BS factor.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

For me, it was mainly the commute. Reducing it to less than 5 days a week wasn't enough. Only zero days a week, after a while, was the solution. Job satisfaction had declined some over the years, but I still basically liked the job and the people. It was just the damned commute which wore me down and eventually overtook any job satisfaction I had.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I liked my job and most of the people.
Excellent pay, job was diversified and challenging. Mainly my own boss.
Alas, was getting too old for the office, so took a package, then discovered this site leading to retirement decision.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I liked what I actually did. I liked the people I worked with closely. I liked most of my bosses over the years.

I didn't like artificial deadlines, politics, some of the corporate culture and decision, and general BS. I didn't like being told that I couldn't take my team out for a lunch - even if I paid for it - because of "optics". Or that the best person who worked for me couldn't get a stellar rating because they weren't on the super-star project. Or that I had to fire someone quite good, and keep someone quite terrible, because the terrible person was more technical. Or working on a 10 page powerpoint for 2 months only to have the CEO cancel the meeting the night before.

I felt much the same. The last few years were the worst, corporate culture changed, and not for the better, resulting in increasingly inane BS. I was FI a couple of years before I actually left, it was the BS that put me over the edge.
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The farther away I get the better it looks.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:04 AM   #9

I answered, "I didn’t like the job or the people." I've used the word "toxic" in the past to describe my work situation. But it's much more complicated than that. I actually had great relationships with most of the people I worked with. Still close friends with 2 or 3 and keep in touch with maybe 10. But there were also a few egomaniacs that made life miserable. Getting away from them was definitely part of the motivation to retire. Most of the conflict was because I didn't like the way they treated people, which frequently resulted in good people leaving.

It's difficult to say about the job itself, mainly because it evolved continuously over 25 years. I loved the first 15 years, worked very hard, and kept taking on more responsibility. But the last 10 became increasingly stressful, partially due to constant international travel as well as having 3 bosses (operational, functional, regional) with conflicting priorities. I also had to deal with regulatory people in several developing Asian countries who do not operate within the same ethical framework as Megacorp. So it was slow and painful to get even simple stuff done.

But perhaps most important, my job responsibilities had grown to the point that it was consuming all my time and energy. I had no time for the many hobbies and interests that I enjoy. I started planning my exit strategy around 46-47 and pulled the trigger at 52 when the numbers looked pretty solid.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #10

My job was 'ok to good' for about 10 years. Too bad I worked full time for 32 years. I did like most of the people I worked with.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #11

I enjoyed my job, many's the time I went into work and thought "I can't believe they're actually paying me to do this!" I one of the first people (although not the first) to begin working in the then-new field of computer forensics and online crime. The job I had sounded like it was straight out of a Robert Heinlein novel. Bear in mind I started on this in the mid-1990's and I retired in 2002 so what is old hat now was legally bleeding edge stuff back then.

Several factors made me retire. Number one was realizing that we were FI and if I retired I could make more money selling T-shirts out the back of a van (although I never aspired to that lofty goal). Another was the traffic in the area we lived in, one has to plan one's entire life around the ebb and flow of traffic and that was wearing very thin. The third was that it was getting harder and harder to get the ongoing training, software, and hardware needed to keep up in that field and I was frustrated with the bureaucracy.

We had zero debt and when I retired my net pay actually went up by a single-digit number (I forget what it was) because I'd been maxed out on the 457, and some employment-related expenses went away like contributions to SS and the retirement plan, and a few other minor expenses.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #12

I think for me it was mostly about the drudgery of having to get up and drag myself into the office and then sit there for hours and hours doing a job that had become somewhat boring and unchallenging after so many years. Eventually it became very clear to me that my FI status was completely robbing me of any motivation to continue the daily "9 to 5" worker drone routine, so that's when I knew it was time. The people and the work itself were generally OK and not the primary reasons for ER in my case.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

For 25 years I loved my job, coworkers and what I did. Then the recession started and the VP I'd know for many years left. We were not close or buds, however he understood my value.

Then the pretty people took over. Well it's funny now. I'd explained to our new VP the pretty people had a history of creating applications that were unsustainable. Looking back, almost 10 years later and their "new" system is not fully implemented and its technology is starting to show it's age.

I left that part of the organization for a planned two more years.

My last year I was in a totally dysfunctional part of the organization. A remote manager with a hair trigger temper. A local passive aggressive 75 yo child and a very angry, hateful guy. Our VP, while an ok guy, was scared to death of the new CIO.

I left after one year of total insanity.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

For me, the job and people are OK... what is starting to drain me is the corporate "stuff"... review rubrics, fighting to get my people deserved raises and promotions, the kissing up, and generally not wanting to play the game that I see happening.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I like most aspects of the job and most of the people. I am getting paid a lot and some of the job is more like a hobby. The number of good people I work with far outweigh the bad ones I have encountered. I am retiring primarily to give me flexibility in choosing what I want to do (or not do) from now on.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #16

When I was an hourly the j*b was great.
When I was a Line Supervisor the j*b was good.
When I first promoted to shift superintendent the j*b was OK.
When I promoted to middle management the j*b sucked.
When I self demoted to shift superintendent the j*b was OK.
After 25 years it was time to go.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I had no problems with the job or the people.

I had enough dough and I wasn't getting any younger so I retired.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #18

I would say for me it was the people I didn't like to work with. Everything from the work schedule to vacation time was a competition among the employees and I just got tired of it. That greatly accelerated my desire to leave the job. When I was in a position to do so, I did it.

I will also add I didn't care for the higher ups in management. I didn't let the door hit me on the way out.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
IME BS usually comes from people ultimately, but not always I guess.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
IME BS usually comes from people ultimately, but not always I guess.
If I'm not mistaken, it also comes from bulls ..
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote