$100 43 23.24%
over $100 5 2.70%
no cash 8 4.32%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2016, 08:27 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Wish I could modify the poll to add an option of "no cash" but do not think you can do that after the poll has been created.
Mods/admins can do that, though, so I added it for you since you expressed a desire for it to be done.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I never like carrying anything bigger than $20 around. DH and I put nearly everything on credit cards, pay in full every month and get nice cash back rebates.
I carry just a few dollars just in case, and like to use a credit card because I can then get a record of what I spend with Quicken auto-download.

Quote:
I used the ATM in the grocery store to withdraw $200 and got a $100 and a mix of 20s and 10s...
I never get anything larger than a $20 from my bank ATM, even in the rare cases where I needed to draw up to my bank limit of $600.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd prefer to carry $50's over $20's, but not easy to find like $20's plus retailers seems suspicious of $50's. Ones are a waste of space. Usually carry between 100 & 200. The duplicate bridge club is cash only & a card seems a waste on transactions <$5.

Governments & banks are in cahoots to get rid of big bills to force card transactions & thus force people to keep electronic money accounts so they can charge you for the privilege of holding your money; i.e., negative interest rate.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I carry just a few dollars just in case, and like to use a credit card because I can then get a record of what I spend with Quicken auto-download.

I never get anything larger than a $20 from my bank ATM, even in the rare cases where I needed to draw up to my bank limit of $600.
It would be a pain carrying 30 $20's.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The only other time I had this happen was at an ATM in Las Vegas airport. I wanted $200, it spit out a couple of $100 bills. No, I did NOT head for the slots!
Old 02-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mods/admins can do that, though, so I added it for you since you expressed a desire for it to be done.
Thanks.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I recently read a proposal to eliminate the $100 note to make it more difficult for criminals to hide $. Would it be feasible for Congress to recall all $100 notes by giving people a few years to exchange them for smaller denominations after which they would no longer be valid? That could wipe out some vast piles of dirty money.
Many years ago I was playing savings mind games with myself: $100 bills couldn't be used - made for some very extreme LBYM. In time, the hidden stashes in books and other hidey-holes reached $5000+. We found a multi-unit to buy and started going through the motions to do so. At the time, banks were collapsing and being absorbed and I think the bank carrying the seller's note changed names several times while the deal was being done. The bank was very insistent that we couldn't just say we had $5000 in cash to go to closing with, which caused me to dig in my hooves. I faxed them a copy of the $5000 from the local hardware store fax machine, being careful to not show any complete bills.

Bank still didn't like it, and at a sit-down with various of their ilk one little junior banker didn't get that if we went to closing and didn't have the $5000 the deal wouldn't happen and we would be the losers. Without the $5000 being in a bank how did they know we had it? My gal said "we say we have it". Junior banker Jeffrey made the mistake of laughing and my gal about went over the round table at his throat.

We did buy the place. We still have a fondness for Ben Franklin. 50 Franklins are more meaningful than some digital numbers that get shunted around - they feel like REAL MONEY!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
...We still have a fondness for Ben Franklin. 50 Franklins are more meaningful than some digital numbers that get shunted around - they feel like REAL MONEY!
That's why Scrooge McDuck keeps real money to swim in. Can't do that with just a number on a PC screen or a bank statement.

Quote:
In the DuckTales episode "Liquid Assets", Fenton Crackshell (Scrooge's accountant) notes that McDuck's money bin contains "607 tillion 386 zillion 947 trillion 522 billion dollars and 36 cents"
Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Usually have a couple of $100's. Never know when a good cash deal will come up. Why do many people not like the $50 bill?

That is easy to answer....

ATM machines distribute out $20s.... and a few new ones will also do smaller denominations if you ask...

So, the only way you are going to get $50s is to go to a teller (real one, not the ATM teller with the smaller bills).... and why go there unless you need a lot of cash... and if you need a lot of cash then $100s are more convenient....

Kinda like why do people not like the $2 bill... just not easy to get and it is in space where other bills are not a problem...
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave my wife my last two twenties yesterday, leaving me with a measly $1 (as of 8:45 AM, the sole vote).
Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #31

I very rarely have anything bigger than a $20. Over the years when friends have repaid loans to me they sometimes paid me in $50s or $100s and I didn't usually like that because many stores I shop at don't take anything bigger than $20s. I'd have to break (or deposit) the bigger bills at my local bank first which was a minor nuisance.

Many years ago, an ATM gave me 2 $50s and 3 $20s for a $160 cash withdrawal. It was a PITA and I had to remember never to use that bank's ATM again or else I'd walk into the bank and ask a teller to break the $50s.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
That is easy to answer....

ATM machines distribute out $20s.... and a few new ones will also do smaller denominations if you ask...

So, the only way you are going to get $50s is to go to a teller (real one, not the ATM teller with the smaller bills).... and why go there unless you need a lot of cash... and if you need a lot of cash then $100s are more convenient....
+1

I almost never go inside a bank any more. If I want cash, there are plenty of drive through ATMs around. I believe that here they only distribute 20 dollar bills. I just pick one from my bank, that I can use with no fees whatsoever.

Also, I have noticed in the past that some (not all) business establishments are reluctant to take a bill higher than a $20. Everybody will take a $20 AFAIK.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I usually have $40 to $180 in my wallet at any given point in time, mostly $20s but I sometimes carry a $50 or $100 in front of the $20s and when I get to that bill it is a signal for me to go to the ATM to replenish. $10s, $5s and $1s are just what I have received as change and are folded and in my right front pants pocket, along with change.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:09 PM   #34

Usually 20's. Have sometimes taken 50's and 100's as vacation cash.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Our local ATMs spit out $50s. I think last time I used one I got mostly $50s!

People around here pay for a lot of stuff in cash.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I usually have one or two 50s in my wallet. When I travel I take as many as ten.

My reason is simply that I refuse to let a credit card out of my sight, so going to a good restaurant requires the cash.

In years past, I noticed that nearly every time a card got compromised it was within a day or two of using it at an unfamiliar restaurant. So I ditched that practice completely.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I usually have one or two 50s in my wallet. When I travel I take as many as ten.

My reason is simply that I refuse to let a credit card out of my sight, so going to a good restaurant requires the cash.

In years past, I noticed that nearly every time a card got compromised it was within a day or two of using it at an unfamiliar restaurant. So I ditched that practice completely.
This is so true and a practice I should get into. I am convinced our CC info was stolen by restaurants at least twice. I have a card I only use for paying insurance, cable, and electric bills, but used it at a local restaurant and two weeks later I was a victim of CC fraud charges.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #38

I always carry cash on me. At least a couple of hundred bucks. Have several $50's in my wallet right now. And if I leave the state for even a couple of days I might carry $500-$1000 dollars in cash. Don't forget to call your credit card company and inform them if you are going even one state away from home base. They will deny a charge until you call them with phone password and PIN (if you can remember it). I had this happen to me in NoVA which is only about 4 hours by car from me
Old 02-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #39

None of the atm's I go to have bills greater than $20. So the largest denomination I have is a $20.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I have two $1 bills in my wallet and no other cash. I don't remember how they got there as I don't carry my wallet around anymore. Instead, since I retired, I only carry my driver license, a single credit card, and my health insurance card all loose in my pocket.