Poll. Largest denomination bill on you now.

bill denomination

• $1

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • $5

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • $10

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • $20

Votes: 99 53.5%
  • $50

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • $100

Votes: 43 23.2%
  • over $100

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • no cash

Votes: 8 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Curious, what do you mean by hidden money? I carry a couple of C-notes in a hidden fold in my wallet. The bills have been sitting there for around 5 years unspent. I've actually had the bills for 10 years but then I changed wallets. :tongue:

Grew up in a cash economy so I don't feel comfortable without at least $200 on my person just in case of emergency. However, if the merchant accepts them, I always use credit cards for cashback and convenience. Typically, the only places I frequent in the US that don't accept CC or adds a surcharge are Chinese restaurants (Chinatown) but they're pretty cheap anyway. When traveling overseas, I carry $500 minimum although always less than $10,000. Concerned about debit card info getting stolen while traveling so I tend to use the ATM only as a last resort.

To me, hidden money is money we have around the house just to use in the case of an emergency. I do not include this as "spending" money. In about 30 years, I have not had to tap into this, though.

My parents did this, and I just started doing it too. Note that they each grew up during the Depression.

That is crazy. I guess I could have a cup of java some place with that, but no real food at a sit-down place.

Well, you have a point. This was at a brand new place that just opened. It was an "order at the counter, pay, then sit down and we will bring it to you" restaurant and we prefer totally sit down places. We split a $6 sandwich, because we often split a sandwich or wrap or something at lunch. I had water to drink, and our $2 tip was half paid by each of us.

However, the sandwich was smaller than we expected so it really wasn't enough. :nonono: We were not happy with the sandwich or its size. It was just luncheon meat and I expect real meat which I didn't get. *IF* we go back, then the next time I'll get a whole sandwich so it will be $6. But I suspect we will cross that new restaurant off our list, even though it is right around the corner.

Last edited:
Well, you have a point. This was at a brand new place that just opened. It was an "order at the counter, pay, then sit down and we will bring it to you" restaurant and we prefer totally sit down places. We split a $6 sandwich, because we often split a sandwich or wrap or something at lunch. I had water to drink, and our $2 tip was half paid by each of us.

However, the sandwich was smaller than we expected so it really wasn't enough. :nonono: We were not happy with the sandwich or its size. It was just luncheon meat and I expect real meat which I didn't get. *IF* we go back, then the next time I'll get a whole sandwich so it will be $6. But I suspect we will cross that new restaurant off our list, even though it is right around the corner.

I have to admit I don't understand why you enjoy eating restaurant lunches every day if a luncheon meat sandwich is what you get. I'm sure you could easily make a much nicer sandwich at home for the same cost. Perhaps you enjoy the ambience!

Thank you for your explanation! I forgot you split lunches with Frank. Yeah, that sounds more like a $6 meal (with a generous tip.)

I voted $50. I don't like $50's. I'd rather have $20's, but for some reason, the BofA ATM in Niagara Falls spit out $50's. I hid the $50's in a separate compartment in my wallet and I was going to exchange them with $20's when I was at the bank next time, but I now live in Canada, and I haven't had a chance to go the State side in a while. (Not much reason for me to go there now since CAD is too weak to shop there...)

I have to admit I don't understand why you enjoy eating restaurant lunches every day if a luncheon meat sandwich is what you get. I'm sure you could easily make a much nicer sandwich at home for the same cost. Perhaps you enjoy the ambience!
Apparently you completely mis-read my post, and read something into it that wasn't there, for whatever reasons. I was NOT happy with that restaurant and posted "I suspect we will cross that new restaurant off our list, even though it is right around the corner".

The restaurants we presently patronize do not serve luncheon meat sandwiches, period, which is why I commented on it at all. :duh: Generally they serve great New Orleans cuisine, which unfortunately is something you and others living outside of New Orleans just can't obtain for any price in your locations.

Last edited:
Our lunches are pretty cheap so any missed rewards would be embarrassingly trivial. Yesterday's lunch was $4 including tip.

W2R, your original post about this $4 lunch did not mention that it was atypical in any way.

Apparently you completely mis-read my post, and read something into it that wasn't there, for whatever reasons. I was NOT happy with that restaurant and posted "I suspect we will cross that new restaurant off our list, even though it is right around the corner".

The restaurants we presently patronize do not serve luncheon meat sandwiches, period, which is why I commented on it at all. :duh: Generally they serve great New Orleans cuisine, which unfortunately is something you and others living outside of New Orleans just can't obtain for any price in your locations.

I'm sorry my post offended you. I have visited New Orleans and enjoyed the cuisine, though I did have some mixed experiences there. I have also enjoyed wonderful, reasonably priced cuisine elsewhere around the world, including in my own kitchen.

Last edited:
Usually don't have any bills on me. If i really dig I might find a $1 or $2 dollar coin in my watch pocket but more often not.

I'm sorry my post offended you.
No offense, it just seemed pretty "out there" to me and I wondered what the problem was.

I have visited New Orleans and enjoyed the cuisine, though I did have some mixed experiences there.

Well, that's true, I guess you kind of have to know where to go... :D We didn't know anything about this one, which was a brand new restaurant within walking distance of home, and thus worth investigating (or so we thought). The point of my post was to explain to tmm99 why our lunch only cost us $4 each including tip:

unknown restaurant + bad food + small portion sizes =>>>> small price.

Well, that's true, I guess you kind of have to know where to go... :D

Old N'Awlins Cookery was excellent if a little fatty, but Antoine's was pretentious and overpriced. The beignets at Cafe du Monde were delicious. This was quite a few years ago. I was attending a conference so of course I did not get to the neighbourhood restaurants.

Last edited:
Old N'Awlins Cookery was excellent if a little fatty, but Antoine's was pretentious and overpriced. The beignets at Cafe du Monde were delicious. This was quite a few years ago. I was attending a conference so of course I did not get to the neighbourhood restaurants.
I understand. I know what that is like.

We violated the rule I often give to others looking for a good restaurant here, which is to begin by eliminating any from consideration that haven't stayed in business for at least five years. Actually this was the very first day this restaurant was open so we were really gambling. I doubt it will remain in business long. We didn't like it much, anyway :sick::yuk: (despite the convenient location).

We eat at a different restaurant M-W-F in our ROMEO group here in Mexico. We always try new restaurants shortly after they open. It is tough to screw up a breakfast, but we can discern enough differences to decide whether they are worthy of repeat trips for B-L-D.

But I agree with W2R that every once in a while, we are disappointed. When we find one that distinguishes itself, we know it will survive.

I have a $50 and two twenties and I had no idea those were in my coin purse until today! I delivered to a bakery and wanted to buy a cookie and was completely surprised when I went to get 60¢. It must be money that was left over from vacation in January.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom