Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Marital Status
Men…I’ve never been married and don’t plan to marry 18 10.11%
Men…I’ve been married and don’t plan to marry again 12 6.74%
Men…I’m married now, but if I became single I don’t plan to marry again 47 26.40%
Men…I’ve never been married but may marry someday 10 5.62%
Men…I’ve been married but may marry again someday 2 1.12%
Men…I’m married now, but if I became single I may marry again 26 14.61%
Women…I’ve never been married and don’t plan to marry 6 3.37%
Women…I’ve been married and don’t plan to marry again 18 10.11%
Women…I’m married now, but if I became single I don’t plan to marry again 25 14.04%
Women…I’ve never been married but may marry someday 1 0.56%
Women…I’ve been married but may marry again someday 7 3.93%
Women…I’m married now, but if I became single I may marry again 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Smiles of a Summer Morning
Old 06-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Smiles of a Summer Morning

I am walking back from Trader Joe's this morning. I start to pass around a woman with a toddler in one of those Indy-Car strollers. She is talking on her phone. As I go by she says, "Yes, I am annoyed! (The baby says "Annoyed, Annoyed") Back to Mom-"But I won't tell you about it unless you promise not to take it on yourself. I just want you to listen. See if you can act like you aren't my husband!"

Then I reach the corner and I look across Thomas St and see two attractive women really kissing hard and deep. One of them is pregnant. Mind you this 9:15 AM. I am trying to remember the last time I was kissed this way by my ex, other than in bed.

Life is what you make it I guess, but it may also take a bit of luck.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Ahhhh...kissing. What a marvelous activity. Kissing is one fad that will never go out of style.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
Hmmm, I haven't read throught every single post but you have me wondering why you started this thread BBBBBAM1?
Well we talk about bacon, so.......

Ahhh but seriously, I wondered how members felt about their future and if marriage or getting married again is part of it. I imagine financial reasons may come into play whether one signs the paperwork or not.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Financial considerations definitely play a part. I'd be retired already if it weren't for that big whoosh that accompanied my ex's departure.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If I can´t live with my wife, who is financially independent, attractive, intelligent, considerate and friendly....and puts up wth my uslelessness without complaint and with a lot of good humor..... I for sure won´t be able to live with another woman. She wouldn´t take me, anyway.
I can´t imagine what my wife sees in me!
By the way, she doesn´t speak, reads or writes any English
Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #106
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
By the way, she doesn´t speak....
vincente, you have found the perfect woman!...
Old 06-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I can´t live with my wife, who is financially independent, attractive, intelligent, considerate and friendly....and puts up wth my uslelessness without complaint and with a lot of good humor..... I for sure won´t be able to live with another woman. She wouldn´t take me, anyway.
She got a sister?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
vincente, you have found the perfect woman!...
Alas, Christopher thought the same thing.....

Old 06-10-2010, 08:44 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Engaged 5 years, married 20 years. Widowed 5+ years ago. Ouch.

I thought I wanted to be married again, and with stars in my eyes, got engaged to dh2b after 1 year together. Recently I truly re-thought that decision. I decided that remarriage just wasn't something I really wanted to do, regardless of the person. My life coach advised me that I should not get re-married if there was one iota of doubt in my mind.

I never really was the marrying type. I am currently dating, but strictly for social reasons. I am single and intend to stay that way.

It is best for the Freebird in me.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Engaged 5 years, married 20 years. Widowed 5+ years ago. Ouch.

I thought I wanted to be married again, and with stars in my eyes, got engaged to dh2b after 1 year together. Recently I truly re-thought that decision. I decided that remarriage just wasn't something I really wanted to do, regardless of the person. My life coach advised me that I should not get re-married if there was one iota of doubt in my mind.

I never really was the marrying type. I am currently dating, but strictly for social reasons. I am single and intend to stay that way.

It is best for the Freebird in me.
I thought I would never get married, but I did (mainly because I had no insurance) getting married was his idea as was getting divorced. I'm annoying and set in my ways, and can't imagine anyone who would put up with me.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I thought I would never get married, but I did (mainly because I had no insurance) getting married was his idea as was getting divorced. I'm annoying and set in my ways, and can't imagine anyone who would put up with me.

You underrate yourself . You are a very giving person and someone would treasure someone like you .
Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #112
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You underrate yourself . You are a very giving person and someone would treasure someone like you .
+1

Think about it, I'm a real PITA, but DW seems to be able to put up with me. it's been a great second marriage for both of us.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
She got a sister?
No. But for some, like me, that may have helped for our success. a sister might have opened my wife´s eyes
Old 06-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #114

Quote:

My guess is your wife sees how much you love and respect her, which means ALOT to most women. Smart gal, frankly.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #115

Quote:
I'm happy to translate for her
Old 06-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #116

Quote:
I'd be retired already if it weren't for that big whoosh that accompanied my ex's departure.
Me too. I wonder for how many people that also affects their willingness to consider a future marriage. Fear of a future whoosh taking me out of retirement could be a strong caution. Plus having lived through an episode of "someone you thought you knew so well" turning into an ex also adds to that caution.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
This is our 25th year. Wouldn't feel right to marry again if I ever find myself single. Don't think I can start to learn and adjust to bad habits, different tones of snoring, etc etc. Going back to work would seem easier than getting married again.
I found myself single 4 1/2 years ago when my husband died and I feel the same way you do. After 20 years of marriage, I still see myself being married to my late husband and no one else. I quit wearing my wedding ring this past year simply because the diamond was a little loose. My finger still feels a little naked.

My daughter moved out of my house last week so I am completely alone now. I have spread out all over my house. I'm actually quite pleased with being by myself right now. I didn't marry until I was 35 so I've lived by myself before, just not in a house. I don't like house maintenance.

I feel less stressed right now than I ever have. I don't know if that's good or bad, but, it is nice. Do as I please, keep the house the way I want it. The only things I don't like...no one to banter and joke around with, no one to pal around with, no one to lean on when I need a leaner oner or a hug.

I told my daughter one time that I need a gay guy as a pal to do things with...no physical stuff just a male companion. I think that would be super in my old age.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I told my daughter one time that I need a gay guy as a pal to do things with...no physical stuff just a male companion. I think that would be super in my old age.
After 2 failed marriages, my late sister did just that. He was really nice to her, and she used to introduce him to hot men............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm happy to translate for her
Thanks, but no, thanks, Michael! She´ll want to have you translate all my posts. And that wouldn´t do. Put yourself in my place!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy these lifestyle threads. (Thanks bbbamI!) As people we know a lot about life from personal experience and direct observation. Whereas much of what we "know" about politics or economics or investing is nothing more than social attitudes blowing in the wind.

I think for many older people the biggest block to forming live-in relationships is that other people's attitudes annoy us, and ours them. Just reading personal ads is hilarious. What we really need is someone of the desired sex who is pleasant, self-supporting, presentable looking and who wants some involvement with us.

Instead, what do people advertise? How green they are. If I needed green I would buy a bag of spinach.

I have met plenty women that I enjoy immensely. But I couldn't bear to give up an iota of life-autonomy to any of them. Some won't go in a Wal*Mart. Not because they hate the ambiance, but because of "cruel labor practices". One woman lost her job and health insurance. She was worried about being able to buy her generic medicines which she said cost her like $30 each at the local druggist. So I told her she could get almost any generic at Wal-Mart for $4/mo or $10/3mos. "Oh, I couldn't deal at Wal-Mart." OK lady, be prepared to get sick. But not with me around.

Others boycott Starbucks, not because of the coffee but because of some supposed international labor or environmental atrocities. I wanted to take someone to some really good free jazz on a Sunday afternoon at a concept-trial coffee house run by Starbucks. Seattle is full of excellent coffee houses, and this one is up near the top, plus the free music. "Oh, I can't patronize Starbucks- can we do something else?" " No, nunca. Hasta la vista, bebé.

It is like living in a loony bin full of people with half baked ideas more suitable to a 15 year old.

All Adam and Eve had to do was to find their sexual complement. Now we have to match soap preferences, use or non-use of perfume or after-shave, or attitudes toward recyclables sorting.

Here are some demographics about household size and trends:

Seattle Prior Censuses: 1900 - 2000 Population & Housing Trends, Population Trends: Living Alone
One person households Opportunities for consumer goods companies > Euromonitor archive