Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Marital Status
Men…I’ve never been married and don’t plan to marry 18 10.11%
Men…I’ve been married and don’t plan to marry again 12 6.74%
Men…I’m married now, but if I became single I don’t plan to marry again 47 26.40%
Men…I’ve never been married but may marry someday 10 5.62%
Men…I’ve been married but may marry again someday 2 1.12%
Men…I’m married now, but if I became single I may marry again 26 14.61%
Women…I’ve never been married and don’t plan to marry 6 3.37%
Women…I’ve been married and don’t plan to marry again 18 10.11%
Women…I’m married now, but if I became single I don’t plan to marry again 25 14.04%
Women…I’ve never been married but may marry someday 1 0.56%
Women…I’ve been married but may marry again someday 7 3.93%
Women…I’m married now, but if I became single I may marry again 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #81
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I'm 52 years old and have never lived by myself.

I suppose I could get used to living alone, but I think it would take a long time.
I've lived alone for a long time. It becomes the norm.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I suppose I could get used to living alone, but I think it would take a long time.
I had never lived alone either- sibs in a big family, college roommates, roomies in later schooling and early work, cohabitations, then marriage and children. Then several years ago I was alone for the first time. I didn't much like it, but I am a survivor and I made the best of it and now have come to like living alone, but also living a fairly social life.

To some extent I may see women as too attractive to ignore, but too dangerous to exactly be happy about that fact. That phrase "sleeping with the enemy" gives me cold chills.

Today I saw an article in NYT, about the Gore separation and about the phenomenon of later life divorces in general. As usual, a lot more opinion than knowledge. One thing I did find interesting was in contrast to the dominant opinion here of "never again", it seemed that many of these people were eager to marry again, and that both men and women were doing that in pretty good numbers. It did mention that for the most part men were more eager- perhaps even stronger than eager- to wed again. I felt that there might have been some male bashing going on, so I did what I often do in these cases and quit reading.

Ha
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've identified several outstanding candidates for wife #2, but I haven't yet run the list by wife #1...
I'm not married but I have a long list of very attractive women that I'd love to be not married to.
Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I had never lived alone either- sibs in a big family, college roommates, roomies in later schooling and early work, cohabitations, then marriage and children. Then several years ago I was alone for the first time. I didn't much like it, but I am a survivor and I made the best of it and now have come to like living alone, but also living a fairly social life.
Well, like Khan said, she has lived alone for a long time and it becomes the norm...and like you, I am a survivor as well. There is a difference between being alone and lonely. If I should find myself alone one day, that doesn't necessarily mean that I will be lonely.
Quote:
To some extent I may see women as too attractive to ignore, but too dangerous to exactly be happy about that fact. That phrase "sleeping with the enemy" gives me cold chills.
This is something I would have never guessed.
Quote:
Today I saw an article in NYT, about the Gore separation and about the phenomenon of later life divorces in general. As usual, a lot more opinion than knowledge. One thing I did find interesting was in contrast to the dominant opinion here of "never again", it seemed that many of these people were eager to marry again, and that both men and women were doing that in pretty good numbers. It did mention that for the most part men were more eager- perhaps even stronger than eager- to wed again. I felt that there might have been some male bashing going on, so I did what I often do in these cases and quit reading.

Ha
Of the divorced female friends I have, most are still single. However, all of the ex-husbands are remarried. But that's in my own little world. I say if someone gets married again....best wishes and congratulations.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Today I saw an article in NYT, about the Gore separation and about the phenomenon of later life divorces in general. As usual, a lot more opinion than knowledge. One thing I did find interesting was in contrast to the dominant opinion here of "never again", it seemed that many of these people were eager to marry again, and that both men and women were doing that in pretty good numbers. It did mention that for the most part men were more eager- perhaps even stronger than eager- to wed again.
I wonder why we think "never again" but the general public does not?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
That's the one. How do they get those tubs up there, anyway? And why isn't there just one tub? These are the things that keep me awake nights.
What weirds me out is having the romantic characters address the audience with their medical disclosures & warnings. Kinda kills the buzz...

But I guess it's better than Mike Ditka throwing footballs at tire swings.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
While I love to see older couples still happy and in love, for myself, I can not imagine getting married again. I'm too old and jaded and like my own place, my own stuff and enjoy my solitude too much to have someone sitting in my living room watching my tv, opening up my fridge, using my bathroom etc etc. Only way is if we could keep separate residences and then what would be the point?

I think marriage if important for those raising families but for someone 40+ why?
My sentiments exactly...and I never lived alone until I was age 49. It was strange at first but now seven years later I would be knocked off my pins to have to share my space and disrupt my cozy routines.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #88

I divorced when my kid was 2-1/2 y.o. Raised him alone and now he's in his 30's. Ran a business alone. In short, did everything by myself...alone.
When I am free, I want to find someone because I'm tired of being alone. Am I the odd one out on this subject here? I've had enough of "me" to last...well, a lifetime. I'd love to find someone compatible to share the rest of my life with, frankly, now that work and responsibilities aren't my entire focus.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmmm, I haven't read throught every single post but you have me wondering why you started this thread BBBBBAM1? Maybe you explained it in thread 1234.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Not wanting to get married <> no relationships(s)...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #91
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I divorced when my kid was 2-1/2 y.o. Raised him alone and now he's in his 30's. Ran a business alone. In short, did everything by myself...alone.
When I am free, I want to find someone because I'm tired of being alone. Am I the odd one out on this subject here? I've had enough of "me" to last...well, a lifetime. I'd love to find someone compatible to share the rest of my life with, frankly, now that work and responsibilities aren't my entire focus.
No, I don't think you are the odd one out here. I can't imagine living out my life alone. I've been single, marrried, separated, divorced, and remarried, so I know what the different options look like. I'll take happily married any day.
All the best,
WS
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #92

This is our 25th year. Wouldn't feel right to marry again if I ever find myself single. Don't think I can start to learn and adjust to bad habits, different tones of snoring, etc etc. Going back to work would seem easier than getting married again.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #93

Married 40 years, we kind of grew up together (60 now). I have no idea of what it would be like to be alone - Sometimes I try to picture it but you don't know what you don't know
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #94
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Of the divorced female friends I have, most are still single. However, all of the ex-husbands are remarried. But that's in my own little world. I say if someone gets married again....best wishes and congratulations.
Just a data point: my EX remarried.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #95

Quote:

I am your mirror image—I'm 54 and have lived alone since I moved out of my parents' home after college (except a few months I lived with my parents again when I moved from California to Washington).

I don't know if I could ever get used to having another person in the house.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #96
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
That sounds nice, but personally I can't imagine there exists anyone compatible.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #97
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
That sounds nice, but personally I can't imagine there exists anyone compatible.
Never say never.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Bachelor til age 33 - then 'palimony' struck til age 66. Now single again although there seems some conspiracies afoot to 'fix me up' because obviously as a mere male I can't be left unattended.

Now a hot 65 year old with a pickup, bib overalls who knows where the best fishing is - hmmm?

heh heh heh - anywise one of the flaws in this poll is that men think they get to vote. IMHO .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #99
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Now a hot 65 year old with a pickup, bib overalls who knows where the best fishing is - hmmm?
So, do you save those Carharrts you splurged on for a date?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am also in a long time live in situation and am at a loss of what to call him . I usually say Significant other on the Internet and just wing it everywhere else . I could say fiancee as we did get engaged but I backed out . I still have the ring so I guess we are semi - engaged . Most people figure out the story pretty quickly and to get married to put a legal name on it in my mind seemed lame plus it would have affected my pension .
Ditto for me. I am doing better financially being able to file single and some other stuff. I have lived alone many times and for many years. I prefer living with him. For those who live alone: it helps tremendously to own a large house and be able to get away from each other. Sometimes I have trouble finding him - we bought an intercom phone...