Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will Skype under Microsoft benefit current users that enjoy no charge video calls?
Yes. Microsoft has the money, vision, commitment and technical support that Skpye needs 12 32.43%
No. They’ll ruin Skype like they ruined Hotmail. 17 45.95%
What’s Skype? 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Once again, this seems like a somewhat wasteful purchase. I don't think MSFT is living below its means, or at least not in LBYM in the right areas

I just hope this means good news, because if it's good for the company, it's good for me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
gone traveling

This is why I am kind of glad they decided to start paying us more instead of giving us stock grants

However....there are huge things planned with Skype that you do not know about and won't know for several months.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
As part of Microsoft, a US corporation, the rules change a bit. Microsoft Skype, being a Voice over IP service, will have to comply with the Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA). The Act obliges telecommunications companies to make it possible for law enforcement agencies to tap any phone conversations carried out over its networks, as well as making call detail records available. The act stipulates that it must not be possible for a person to detect that his or her conversation is being monitored by the respective government agency.
Hmm--Maybe MSFT bought Skype at the quiet urging of US government entities. How conveeeenient. (I feel another conspiracy theory brewing!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket View Post
I'd counter that MSFT's issues aren't quality, but rather the overall customer experience and the inability to respond to the market in a timely manner. (See, WinPhone 7, Tablets, etc)
I'd opine that MSFT doesn't appear to give a d*mn about the customer experience.
1) How many hours did we all spend having to re-learn how to do familiar tasks in the latest version of Office? If you use Powerpoint a lot, you know what I'm talking about. "Where's the box that lets me . . .??!! It used to be right here! ". If MSFT cared about what folks thought, customers would get two choices when they installed the new software.
"Choose an option"
A) "Hide all my familiar menus and scramble everything the way the wizbang good idea fairies at Redmond sold it to their bosses.
B) Please, PLEASE make it look and function as much like the old version as possible. I've spent hundreds of hours learning that.

2) If they cared, MSFT would not allow manufacturers to sell software or hardware products as "Windows XX" compatible until they really were. MSFT would grab hold of the certification process and be ruthless. I spent all day today trying to get Windows 7 to see and use my old scanner. The new driver for the old scanner is supposed to work with Windows 7 (x64). Of course, maybe the problem is my antivirus program. Who the h*ll knows? There are literally thousands of things that could be causing the problem ("you might need to add a new section to your PATH statement" --or maybe not. It worked for some guy at one time so that's what we all get to try. Nope, keep guessing!). I know, I'll call Microsoft, maybe they'll help me (HA, HA!!). Every Windows user gets to be a beta tester and sysad. If Microsoft would attend to this problem like their business depended on it, they could cut Apple's laptop business in half within 5 years.

Signed,
Another happy Microsoft Customer (and user of Skype--until it gets "improved")

Edited to add: I'd gladly spend $100 additional for the OS when I buy a computer if I can be sure that hardware and software would actually function with it. Money like that could allow MSFT to do real compliance and validation testing. And make more profit.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Gah. This will likely turn out to be another complete waste of cash, like so many previous mergers.
Didn't Microsoft make a big investment in Apple a decade or so ago? I wonder how that worked out...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have no insight into the Windows Phone organization or the ideas behind purchasing Skype. I'd tell you more if I could.

Well, Microsoft is such a big company (90000 worldwide I think), that it's a bit of a broad brush to say that "corporate culture" is the same as Kin. ....
Well, I'm not going to try to counter all of this point-by point, but if you look back at your post, there sure are a lot of qualifiers in there. Why should such a powerhouse company require all these disclaimers (but, but ,but... we weren't bad, we were just late; we didn't get enough support; those were 'just' bla, bla problems; It's a business leadership issue, not a technological issue; it was a product buried way down the chain; ___ is pretty nice, but way too bloated and slow; etc , etc.)

And the piece de' resistance of your post (which samclem already covered, I'm just piling on at this point ):

Quote:
I'd counter that MSFT's issues aren't quality, but rather the overall customer experience and the inability to respond to the market in a timely manner.
We are talking software here, right? What else is there, other than the overall customer experience? Isn't that just about everything? Let's see, when I buy a software product, I'm focused on: "gee, that sure is a shiny CD there", or " Wudda purdy box they put that CD in", or "gee, that sure is a long serial number they want me to type in"? Or is it " the overall customer experience? If MS isn't focusing on the overall customer experience, and getting it to the customer on time, then the only prayer they have is their monopoly power (which has served them well for decades).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraM View Post
This is why I am kind of glad they decided to start paying us more instead of giving us stock grants
Well, if they wanted to motivate the employees financially, I don't think they had much choice...

-ERD50
Old 05-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Didn't Microsoft make a big investment in Apple a decade or so ago? I wonder how that worked out...
Aug 6, 1997. $150M. By some accounts, MSFT shorted an equal amount of AAPL so it was a non-event (other than PR). From what I understand, it was really a pay-off to settle some patent disputes, Jobs spun it so that MSFT supported Office for the Mac for 5 years (a big deal for Apple) and for the PR. MS wanted some relief from anti-trust battles. A win-win at the time.

But if they let it ride, it would have been a good payoff. About a 50 bagger (yes, that is five-zero, fifty bagger) at this point.

-ERD50
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot.png (20.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Well, I'm not going to try to counter all of this point-by point, but if you look back at your post, there sure are a lot of qualifiers in there. Why should such a powerhouse company require all these disclaimers (but, but ,but... we weren't bad, we were just late; we didn't get enough support; those were 'just' bla, bla problems; It's a business leadership issue, not a technological issue; it was a product buried way down the chain; ___ is pretty nice, but way too bloated and slow; etc , etc.)

And the piece de' resistance of your post (which samclem already covered, I'm just piling on at this point ):

We are talking software here, right? What else is there, other than the overall customer experience? Isn't that just about everything? Let's see, when I buy a software product, I'm focused on: "gee, that sure is a shiny CD there", or " Wudda purdy box they put that CD in", or "gee, that sure is a long serial number they want me to type in"? Or is it " the overall customer experience? If MS isn't focusing on the overall customer experience, and getting it to the customer on time, then the only prayer they have is their monopoly power (which has served them well for decades).
Apologies for having too many qualifiers. I was not attempting to come off as defensive or overly protective. I understand where my employer has failed, and as I mentioned in my post, there's no great reason for the issues.

Regarding the "quality" issue, I guess that's just a semantics issue. When talking about "software quality", I always think of robust and bug-free. You can have a great UX with terrible quality product, and vice-versa. Perhaps this is an error on my part, but it's a line I draw.

Either way, as you and samclem have correctly pointed out, there are issues. While I am not in any way directly related to any of them, or in a position to fix them, I'm doing the best I can to make my product a good one for our customers. I just hope the company get things going in the right direction, because there are boatloads of extremely intelligent people here, and the company can do a lot right, if it's led correctly.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Apologies for having too many qualifiers.
No apology required, and I didn't mean to come on too hard. It was really meant more as an introspective thing - with all those qualifiers, do you really think they can pull it off, or is it just hope?

Quote:
While I am not in any way directly related to any of them, or in a position to fix them, I'm doing the best I can to make my product a good one for our customers. I just hope the company get things going in the right direction, because there are boatloads of extremely intelligent people here, and the company can do a lot right, if it's led correctly.
That's the case in many mega-corps. Good people trying to do good things, but w/o good management direction it's tough. I also hope that Skype will be handled well by their new owners, but honestly, I'm not as optimistic as you are. Time will tell.

-ERD50
Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
They sold too early.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I don't use Skype and only use MS products because I'm too lazy to fight with Linux now that I'm retired, my only interest is how it will affect the "evil empire's" bottom line. Will MS get enough of an enhanced revenue stream to make up for an $8.5B purchase? I'm doubtful enough that if I owned MSFT, I'd sell. I'm not stupid daring negative enough to go short.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope that things stay the same, since we use it to stay in contact with DD's family, especially our granddaughter. They are in CA and we are in WV.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

A nice "infographic" that the SeattlePI blog posted, trying to quickly show the ins and outs of this move:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/...ypegraphic.jpg

I'd post the actual picture, but it's too huge to do that.

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote