Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which Type Transmission In The Car You Most Frequently Drive?
Manual (with clutch) 40 32.52%
Automatic 83 67.48%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
I doubt if 3% of cars in France are automatics
True. You need a clutch to back that car onto the sidewalk and push the car in front/back of you to make a larger space ..

Yea - I've seen it done (but not by me, of course )...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I answered automatic, but my daily driver really has only one gear, so it doesn't actually 'shift' (other than Park and Reverse).

Old 04-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

What about VW DSG transmissions? Has two clutches but no clutch pedal.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Driven a stick since the early 80s. I suspect that my next car will be an auto just cause it is hard to find sticks now days and suspect that manual no longer provide any real performance or mileage advantage.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #25

Had several stick shifts. A beetle, Pickup truck.

Missing from the poll: Thee on the column. Drove a Russky made Volga with three on the column. Had a van with that too. Do they still make 'em?

Current wheels are auto. Now if I could find a 95-97 Jaguar XJR with manual, that would be the cat's meowww.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #26

I've driven a stick shift since I learned to drive on my parents' MG Magnette, in the late '50s. I have nothing against automatics, which I have driven when I had to rent a car, but my wife is completely inflexible, and (I just asked her) hates automatics. We will always have a stick shift, so long as it's possible to buy one.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Missing from the poll: Three on the column. Drove a Russky made Volga with three on the column. Had a van with that too. Do they still make 'em?..........
I had a SAAB with 4 on the column- now that was a weird car.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

In 1980, more than 35 percent of cars sold had a stick; in 2007 the number had dropped to 7.7 percent.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Good article. I would definitely be convinced, except these are very high end cars that I will never buy, thus any autoshifter on a car in my range is likely to be much less interesting. The other thing is that anyone who learns not to slip a clutch and who does not overload his car can go a long way on a clutch, and usually forever on the gears and transmission bearings themselves. I would guess that maintaining one of these new wonders will be no cheaper or more trouble free than maintaining the rest of an $80,000 to $150,000 car.

Likely if for some reason I can no longer shift, or I need another car and a manual is not available, I will be looking at a Taurus at best.

Ha
Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #30

Both of my cars are automatics although my 3-series BMW has a sport shift option.
I would be as likely to purchase a manual transmission auto nowadays as I would be to get rid of my automatic washer and start scrubbing laundry on a washboard. Bumper to bumper traffic on the Parkway into Pittsburgh this afternoon is a reminder of why I have these preferences.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I had a SAAB with 4 on the column- now that was a weird car.
I have a 59 Hillman with 4 on column.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #32

My daily driver in Japan is a hybrid Lexus HS with CVT. DW has a Honda Stream with an sport shift and paddles on the wheel. I've used the paddles a couple of times when playing with it, but she never has and never will. My truck in the states is Auto because it is better for towing, and DW's Odyssey is auto. My previous car also had sport shift and paddles, and I did use the sport shift when I needed a boost when passing or merging on the highway.

Our last manual was traded for an auto in 1998 because both DW and I needed to be able to use either car. She refuses to drive a stick shift. At some point, I'd really love to have a stick again, but it will probably never happen. We both want an RV, we need the truck to maintain the property (2 acres), we'll need a toad we can both drive...adding another vehicle to the mix to have a stick shift toy seems a bit of overkill in the vehicle department.

R
Old 04-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

My truck and my DW's Highlander are automatics. I have a 2007 Pontiac Solstice that is a 5 speed that I don't drive much. It has 4875 miles but will add some next week as I plan to drive it to an Astronomy forum in Suffern, NY. Will be nearly 600 miles round trip!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #34

Yes. Interesting article. Thanks. My next car will have a BMW DCT transmission. Similar to SMG but smoother with 2 clutches. The new generation of automated manual transmissions really does offer the best of both worlds. Eventually they will be offered in less expensive cars.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #35

We have 2 Camrys. A 2010 SE (mine) & a 2007 LE (hers). I've owned several cars and trucks with manual transmissions over the years, just don't happen to have one now. I'd be ok with a manual in the future. I taught my two oldest kids (girls) how to drive a manual, as well as my first wife back in the late '70s. No problemo.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Had several stick shifts. A beetle, Pickup truck.

Missing from the poll: Thee on the column. Drove a Russky made Volga with three on the column. Had a van with that too. Do they still make 'em?

Current wheels are auto. Now if I could find a 95-97 Jaguar XJR with manual, that would be the cat's meowww.
Three on the column brings back memories. In my high school days, most everything was "three on the tree" whereas later the norm became "four on the floor". My dad's first new car was a 1947 Chevrolet with "three on the tree" but it was a vacuum shift. Automatic transmissions came out in
late 40's as I recall.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #37

I learned on a '56 Plymouth with "three on the tree" but after that pretty much everything was automatic.

Right now DW's Buick is of course automatic and my pickup is automatic. After dealing with DC's stop 'n go traffic for so long I'll probably never buy another stick.

The motorcycle is of course manual foot pedal transmission with a hand clutch. They're starting to offer motorcycles with automatic transmissions but there's just something "wrong" about an automatic on a motorcycle, just as with a Mustang GT.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Daily car, "carpooling" on errands and fun excursions with Mr B - reliable old 92 Honda Accord, 5 speed manual, 4 cyl, rust bucket extraordinaire.

Winter storm car and occasionally driven solo - 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, automatic

Midlife crisis good weather car - 2005 Mustang Premium convertible, 5 speed transmission, 6 cyl

2003 Chevy Impala (his car) - automatic, on sabbatical for the winter and now in the shop for a headlight switch module.

I prefer manual transmission. Mr B is now reconverted back from automatic to manual transmission.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

My daily driver is a honda CRV but I sometimes drive my SO's Dodge Durango . I haven't driven a stick since 1987 .
Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My daily driver is a honda CRV but I sometimes drive my SO's Dodge Durango . I haven't driven a stick since 1987 .
My wife's daily driver is a CR-V with a stick shift. I drive an F150 with a stick. I learned to drive stick in 1996, and haven't bought an automatic since. I don't deal with much traffic, inclement weather is more of a concern. Love the feel of control a stick provides.

With that said: The toy is a '76 Monte Carlo, with a slightly modified 350. Those only came with an automatic. It was my first car in 1984.