5+ years of depression in lifetime 4 6.35%
Suffered from depression most of your life 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on depression
Old 07-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll on depression

just curious
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll on depression
Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i consider myself the happiest saddest person i know. a old colleague of mine (who since won a pulitzer-go bud!) once described me as having my head in a rainbow colored cloud.

generally i'm very happy and apparently i've always been. at my 30-year high school reunion more than one person commented on how they remembered me always laughing and making people laugh. my little cousins and niece/nephews comment that i laugh a lot. my partner was similar. together people found us quite annoying after an hour or so. they used to accuse us of laughing inappropriately. hey, we can't help it if we find you funny.

since having buried my partner and later my best friend and then even my dog, and now that i have been watching mom die for the last 12 years i find i have to battle for my happiness.

it is a worthy fight. here i find myself without a partner, without children and soon i will no longer be caregiver for mom. i'm financially independent & i'll have no responsibility other than to my own happiness. it is a responsibility that i do not take lightly, but that doesn't mean i won't make fun of it. nya nya.

"life is too important to take seriously." ~~oscar wilde

"if suffering can be corrected, then there's no need to be despondent. and if it cannot be remedied, there is no benefit even if one becomes unhappy." ~~shantideva

"life is a play and we all play a part:
the lover, the dreamer, the clown..."
~~young & lewis in laugh, clown, laugh

"being miserable won't make you any happier." ~~me

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I've read "The Noonday Demon" and I don't use the word "depression" in my personal vocabulary any more... "bummer" is about as deep as I've ever gone.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I can get sad or "bummed" as Nords said, but not depressed.

But I can slip into anxiety pretty easily; especially when I was working super hard.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coincidence? I think not...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I'd guess it would be hard to achieve FIRE if you suffered from serious, recurrent depression unless you had outside or spousal wealth.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think it runs in families. In my family, the people who deal with depression also tend to be high wage earners who love their jobs. Money, fortunately, hasn't been an issue.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
I'd guess it would be hard to achieve FIRE if you suffered from serious, recurrent depression unless you had outside or spousal wealth.
you might be surprised.
depression runs in both sides of my family, took me a long time to realize that's what was going on with me and to finally get some help.
it comes & goes, some years sunny, some years cloudy.
anyhow, seems like most of my relatives turn to the bottle when things get 'cloudy'.
I turned to work instead. in college, had a couple of down years and got close to 4.0 averages those semesters. later on, a few more down years led to a workaholic phase, rose up the ladder and got about $800K from stock options before bailing out for a more balanced life. not quite FI, but depression and FI dont seem incompatible to me, just depends on how one copes with it.
tedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedster
depression and FI dont seem incompatible to me, just depends on how one copes with it.
you make it sound like a good thing.

interesting how it is less what we experience and more how we experience what we experience which really matters.

"outward circumstances are no substitute for inner experience."--c.g. jung

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
you make it sound like a good thing.
oh no, nothing of the sort intended.
hiding in a book or at the office, to keep oneself distracted from major depression, is not a good way to go through life.
but it pays better than, say, self-medicating with booze.
it should go without saying that neither is a good alternative to bona fide medical treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
interesting how it is less what we experience and more how we experience what we experience which really matters.
well said!
tedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #11

I have been clinically depressed a couple times.* It's waaaaay different than being bummed out.* * *

Those who have been there describe it as "falling into the black hole."*You can see it coming, but you sometimes have no control over falling in.* *As Ted said, it's not that hard to work with depression; it's a lot harder to have a life.

The thing I find morbidly fascinating is how depression can reach up and grab you when your life seems to be going fine and there is no particular outward cause.* * *

On the other hand, I've lost my mother, my health and my dog in less than two years, and I'm still generally pretty happy.* *Bummed out, yes, but not depressed, thankfully.

Noonday Demon does a very good job of describing how bad it can get -* and it makes me thankful I never got past watching gameshows in my pajamas for six weeks.* *
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote