Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Has Your XP system ever crashed in such a way that you were unable to restore it?
Yes 7 13.73%
No 44 86.27%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Poll on XP System Reliability
Old 11-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll on XP System Reliability

This is for XP users only. I need to make some decisions based on XP's reliability.

If your XP system has ever crashed (and this includes hard drive failures) in such a way that you needed to reinstall your applications, vote "Yes."

Thanks,

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Poll on XP System Reliability
Old 11-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes,
I have had to do a complete recovery a couple of times. The last time I could not boot. All I had was a black screen telling me I needed to insert the recovery CD. The notebook is less than 2 years old.

Back up often...that's the key.

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Old 11-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A disk can crash with any OS (and I've lost one running XP), but XP seems pretty robust. Intel supports a no-execute bit, which makes it even harder to corrupt. This is probably one feature that makes it worthwhile to upgrade from Win2K to XP.

NX bit
Old 11-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

At this point doesn't it makes sense to wait a while and get Vista?
Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
At this point doesn't it makes sense to wait a while and get Vista?
I would not touch Vista until it's been out for a couple years. Let others be the guiena Pigs. It's also a resource hog and you will probably need more memory and horsepower.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm deciding whether I just back up all my files, or go to great lengths to back up the system in such a way that I could restore it along with my settings. If I only have to worry about hardware crashes, I might just do the latter regularly.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Well, I'm deciding whether I just back up all my files, or go to great lengths to back up the system in such a way that I could restore it along with my settings. If I only have to worry about hardware crashes, I might just do the latter regularly.
Have you thought about using Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image?

Backup to an external hard drive and keep it offsite.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Have you thought about using Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image?
T-Al,
I second Acronis recommendation - it's a great tool and saved at least three of my laptops and numerous servers in my lab (both Windows and Linux machines)
Old 11-18-2006, 10:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I would not touch Vista until it's been out for a couple years. Let others be the guiena Pigs. It's also a resource hog and you will probably need more memory and horsepower.
Same here Cut-Throat. The more I read about Vista, the less I want it. I've had XP running for about four years now. No problems at all, and it has been "rode hard and put away wet". I'll use it until MS stops supporting it, and them I may switch to Linux.

Regarding backup, after doing a clean install I do all the settings and installations of the important stuff, and then run Ghost. In four years I haven't had to use it, but it would be a real pain at this stage (but better than starting from scratch). For data, I have two hard drives that are identical. I figure the odds are good I won't lose both drives simultaneously. The stuff I really couldn't tolerate losing is also uploaded to Google and to a folder my wife's PC.

I also have a Live-CD of Knoppix laying around. If my system crashes I can be up and running in minutes, and just operate that way (to get email, check stuff online, etc.) until I get the time to fix it. I tried a Live-CD of Ubuntu too, but it didn't read my drives right out of the box. Knoppix does.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I had XP crash and couldn't recover, but it eventually turned out to be a hardware failure. The hard disk was failing. XP has proved to be fairly stable for me. Surprisingly.

No way will I install Vista.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I had XP crash and couldn't recover, but it eventually turned out to be a hardware failure. The hard disk was failing. XP has proved to be fairly stable for me.
This was my story too up until recently. Talked to my tech service guy last night. He thinks my hard drive is failing. (for all you jokers out there,
don't bother as that one is too easy) .

I told him of my decision to not "reup" and thanked him for trying.

JG
Old 11-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I see two reasons to back up. One is to be able to recover your system in case of a big failure, and the other is to be able to restore that important file that you deleted a month ago because you thought you'd never need it (or you didn't realize it was in the directory you deleted, etc.).

The first scenario happens once every few years, but the second happens a few times a year.

Keeping one backup copy is fine for the first scenario, but for the second you have to have a series of backups.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
T-Al,
I second Acronis recommendation - it's a great tool and saved at least three of my laptops and numerous servers in my lab (both Windows and Linux machines)
I use Acronis. Works great, lets me quit worrying.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Windows XP has been less of a hassle for me than Win3.11 or Win95. Big whoop.

I suspect WinXP is more of a hassle than OS X and perhaps even more than Linux. They might be worth investigating if you're starting over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I see two reasons to back up. One is to be able to recover your system in case of a big failure, and the other is to be able to restore that important file that you deleted a month ago because you thought you'd never need it (or you didn't realize it was in the directory you deleted, etc.).
The first scenario happens once every few years, but the second happens a few times a year.
Keeping one backup copy is fine for the first scenario, but for the second you have to have a series of backups.
The only reason I do backups is because I feel like an idiot when the hard drive crashes or glitches and I haven't been doing backups.

Oh, yeah-- and because it's a lot more work to recover from not backing up.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #15

Good points Nords,

Which reminded me of a time I was in Florida. I usually leave our notebook on even though it's in standby mode with the lid shut. We went out for dinner, came back, opened the lid and there was nothing but a white screen. No icons, folders, nothing. Apparently there was a lightning strike, something Florida is noted for, and it fried our hard drive. I took it to a shop who told me for 80 Dollars they might be able to retrieve our data. No such luck, all was lost.

Now I back up daily, sometimes more than once. You only have to go through this 3-4 times before you learn to BACK UP!

Billy
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com
Old 11-19-2006, 10:14 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Good subject!
I've been thinking of doing this for a while using a partition on a USB-connected drive and wasn't sure what SW to use.

Poking around on CNET though:
1) Ghost looks like it only works as a restore if you are within their window of how long the product registration lasts (1yr?)
2) Acronis has some horrible user reviews where it just didn't work.

More comments appreciated on either.
Also, are there any other alternatives?
Thanks!

Old 11-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick S
Good subject!
I've been thinking of doing this for a while using a partition on a USB-connected drive and wasn't sure what SW to use.

Poking around on CNET though:
1) Ghost looks like it only works as a restore if you are within their window of how long the product registration lasts (1yr?)
2) Acronis has some horrible user reviews where it just didn't work.

More comments appreciated on either.
Also, are there any other alternatives?
Thanks!

I'd like to help. Have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

JG
Old 11-20-2006, 06:25 AM   #18

If you don't like the Micro$soft product, there are losts of Linux distibutions available. Nowdays you only have to be a bit geeky to use them.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:52 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems to me that if you only had one hard drive on your system, (and no external drive,) Norton Ghost wouldn't be any good in case of a crash. It would be usefull to recover if a recent software installation caused a problem, but not a hard drive failure. Am I missing something?

Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderdude
It seems to me that if you only had one hard drive on your system, (and no external drive,) Norton Ghost wouldn't be any good in case of a crash. It would be usefull to recover if a recent software installation caused a problem, but not a hard drive failure. Am I missing something?
In the event of a hard drive crash, with a Ghost image you'd be up and running very quickly after sticking in a new drive.