Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Long Before Willie or Kate Get Down With Somebody Else?
< 2 years 1 2.70%
<4 years 3 8.11%
<6 years 6 16.22%
<8 years 4 10.81%
!0 or more-they are lifers 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Alan, I can't even imagine the hubbub over the royal "I do's" where you are--can you escape it? Another good reason to go on long hikes over lonely terrain--no media reports!

My engagement ring is a sapphire surrounded by little diamonds, and it was purchased before the royal hand-me-down ring by about ten years.
We are living within a 1/4 mile of where we were living when Charles and Dianna got married. We plan on doing the same as we did last time and go for walk up Roseberry Topping to escape the TV coverage. Below is a photo of that day showing DW, with 6-month old DD, and DW's brother. I also added a photo of myself and DD from that same year.

WARNING - the following photos contain dorky 1980 hair do's and flared trousers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roseberry Topping 2.jpg (270.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Alan & Kathy on Commondale Moor.jpg (635.1 KB, 15 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
What have either of them ever done to you that excuses this kind of speculation about the probable failure of their marriage, before it has even happened? Anyone would think you want to see a breakup. Why would you wish that kind of misery on your enemy, let alone people you don't even know?
Madame, do bookmakers hate the teams that are underdog? Do I hate the stocks I sell? Of course not! I don't know or don't care at all what Willie and Kate do with their bodies. I don't even know if no affairs or a few affairs or lots of affairs is a better state of affairs. I just saw an article and decided to make a poll. A distraction from annoying threads on how taxes should be raised and raised now, on everybody except the poster and his family.

Enjoy todays sunshine, be happy!

Ha

Old 04-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Roseberry Topping sounds like a quaint British dessert.

Thanks for the pics, Alan.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Roseberry Topping sounds like a quaint British dessert.

Thanks for the pics, Alan.
Sort of like Spotted Dick?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Sort of like Spotted Dick?
I'll look for him when we are up there next.

Talked to my sister last night, she's coming for another visit in 2 weeks and has said her husband has requested we all go up Roesberry Topping. They are far from fit so we'll drive out to the King's Head in the village of Roseberry and walk up from there. Should be funny to see them haul themselves up there, including my 13 year old niece

They'll need a good helping of Spotty Dick at the pub afterwards, I'm sure.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

This could be the gender poll I just saw.

I could care less! For that matter... I don't even understand why anyone else would care! I suppose it is a form of entertainment.

It seems to be something the girls discuss.... My DW would be interested in the topic.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
This could be the gender poll I just saw.

I could care less! For that matter... I don't even understand why anyone else would care! I suppose it is a form of entertainment.

It seems to be something the girls discuss.... My DW would be interested in the topic.
I agree. Most men in general could care less about the attendant fluff pertaining to wedding ceremonies, most especially weddings not their own.

It will be fun to see the dresses and the HATS! and Kate's gown and the from-another-era pomp and circumstance surrounding the whole thing. The leading players in this particular drama are all familiar to us, like a favorite soap opera.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Isn't anyone else sick and tired of the relentless media coverage of this? I can't turn the channel fast enough when they start talking about it.
Wedding? Is there a wedding soon?

I only know because DW sometimes talks about it. I have a hard enough time remembering my own.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
It will be fun to see the dresses and the HATS! and Kate's gown and the from-another-era pomp and circumstance surrounding the whole thing. The leading players in this particular drama are all familiar to us, like a favorite soap opera.
I can't wait to see what Sir Elton John wears
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #30

I would expect that after his father's fiasco, these two would have been subject to extensive psychological counselling prior to their announcement. I would think this one will work out better.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Prenup for the Prince?

msnbc.com Video Player

What rules- base rates, or romantic hopes based on supposed differences between this couple or the group of celebrity couples, or just couples per se? As that dedicated Bayesian from an earlier time put it- "The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to play it."

And from a British commenter on aristocrats and royals "...Wives do extremely well under British laws."

Ha
Old 04-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #32

I love Alan's pictures.

I actually remember staying up as a kid to watch the wedding, even though I wasn't especially girly. One of my dad's work associates with Unilever in England sent me a commemorative stamp that I adored. It was very interesting to me as a child, but I was in a stage where I loved James Herriott books and hearing the commentators made me think of his stories.

The current wedding is just a sideshow. Not having TV, I'm unaware of the details or what-have-you regarding these folks. I did vote 10+, just because I'm such a fan of long-term marriage.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote