Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Will you rent or own in retirement?
Am and will always be a renter. 3 3.45%
Am and will always be a home owner. 71 81.61%
Will sell prior to retirement to rent. 2 2.30%
Renting but will buy retirement home. 3 3.45%
Own property(ies) and will rent/house swap. 6 6.90%
Other, boat/RV/Commune 5 5.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Poll. Own or rent in retirement?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
gone traveling

Poll. Own or rent in retirement?

I couldn't find a previous poll concerning living arrangements in retirement. I'm also curious how much you think your housing cost will increase each year, if you're in the country or metro area and area of country.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about that chief.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:04 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Kind of a no-brainer if you have a paid for house in a place that you like.
Could you rent a 3br/2ba home on a large lot in a small city for under $500/mo? My annual housing cost including water and garbage is less than $5k.
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I presently own my own home in New Orleans. When I retire, I plan to move to a small town in Missouri. I am tentatively planning to rent for a while before buying there, just so that I can become more familiar with the area before buying. I checked "Am and will always be a home owner", even though I won't be, since it best described my point of view.

You said,
Quote:
I'm also curious how much you think your housing cost will increase each year
. I would assume that you are referring to housing maintenance, taxes, and insurance, since my house is paid off. I expect them to increase at a rate higher than inflation after I have bought my retirement house.

I may rent just a small, cheap studio and leave most of my stuff in storage during the first half year or year there, in which case my housing costs would be decreased during that time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
I've Been Thinking About This Lately
Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I've Been Thinking About This Lately

I resisted buying a house until I was about 35; I just didn't want the hassle or responsibility. Then I put in long years as a homeowner. I had kids, and I had fun doing stuff around the mini-farm with them. But now, I would only be interested in buying to protect my living cost over time. I hate houses, hate furniture, and hate the whole kit and caboodle. More properly, I don't hate this stuff; I like it in other people's houses or apartments. I just don't like to be bothered with it myself. (What an a-hole I am on this topic; even I can see that. )

I notice it in my two sons- one bought a house, one rents a condo. The renter has a much more carefree life, more time to do things for fun, and less need to waste time on crap like going to Home Depot. If I enter a Home Depot or Lowe's or any of them pretty quickly I get sweaty and feel like I need a drink. And I used to even make my own furniture. I was a whiz making jigs for my table saw, etc. But it didn’t last beyond the family growing up.

My only doubt about continuing as a renter is that I live in the absolute most desirable part of a very desirable city, so I could get pinched by rent increases. A condo or co-op would protect me from most of that. Another factor is neighbors. In my professionally managed building people have passed a criminal records check. In a condo, owners aren't vetted like this, and they often don't vet their sub-renters well at all. So I am not sure yet about my eventual plans.

I do know that every time I see our manager doing some chore or other I feel so glad that he has to do it, and not me. I just take a walk or go visit someone instead.

Ha
Old 11-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If I enter a Home Depot or Lowe's or any of them pretty quickly I get sweaty and feel like I need a drink.
I've said for years that any home improvement store could pad out their profit margins by adding a booze aisle. I mean, who doesnt want to pick up a six pack to sip on when they're done fixing that whozamajiggy?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been a homeowner for about 23 years with one mercifully short period as a renter immediately after my divorce. Owning a townhome has some mixed benefits. I have control of my residence but no control over who my neighbors are. Fifty percent are renters,most of them twenty-somethings. Also, I have control of and freedom with my interior, but the exterior of the building is subject to the varying abilities of the HOA and management, as well as the limitations of the HOA budget.

So far I haven't been able to figure out a better alternative. Owning a house seems like an overwhelming burden. Renting as a dog owner is a sketchy proposition. Alas!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:00 PM   #8

It's not just the "owning" my house that I want for retirement, it's the "fully paid for" that keeps cash flow needs so low. Maintenance and taxes will likely rise faster than inflation but if all else fails, I can tap equity or sell and fall back to renting. It seems to me to add extra safety to my retirement plans this way.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I've been a homeowner for about 23 years with one mercifully short period as a renter immediately after my divorce. Owning a townhome has some mixed benefits. I have control of my residence but no control over who my neighbors are. Fifty percent are renters,most of them twenty-somethings. Also, I have control of and freedom with my interior, but the exterior of the building is subject to the varying abilities of the HOA and management, as well as the limitations of the HOA budget.

So far I haven't been able to figure out a better alternative. Owning a house seems like an overwhelming burden. Renting as a dog owner is a sketchy proposition. Alas!
Renting as a dog owner is very difficult these days, from what I understand.

For me, owning a house is a lot better now that I can afford a lawn guy. But then, I don't like to travel like you do.

Maybe another kind of condo would suit you better - - perhaps one in a planned community, and maybe laid out more like a house or duplex, but with condo exterior care and convenience? :confused: My brother had one like that in Florida, and it seemed like a good arrangement for a traveler. His was a duplex condo in a planned golf course community, and his neighbor was a pleasant snowbird widow so he had no problems with it (other than the high fees). The community did all the exterior gardening and maintenance. He was a little miffed about all the rules, but that's just the way he is.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
It's not just the "owning" my house that I want for retirement, it's the "fully paid for" that keeps cash flow needs so low. Maintenance and taxes will likely rise faster than inflation but if all else fails, I can tap equity or sell and fall back to renting. It seems to me to add extra safety to my retirement plans this way.
I couldn't agree more. Also, I am trying to avoid living in a development with a homeowners' association, fees, and possible assessments, in order to keep both the cash flow and potential annoyances as low as possible.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwill8 View Post
Kind of a no-brainer if you have a paid for house in a place that you like.
Could you rent a 3br/2ba home on a large lot in a small city for under $500/mo? My annual housing cost including water and garbage is less than $5k.
Does the $500/mo include the opportunity cost of the cash you have tied up in the house?

I'm a home owner and like it that way. But I'm also a realist and understand the bux I have tied up in the house could be earning returns if invested.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Been a home owner for 29 years (detached single,~1000 sf, long paid for, less than $1000/yr property tax).

I'll stay for now (at least while the cat lives).

In the future: who knows: condo, RV, senior rental...
Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

probably stay a homeowner until I'm too old and decrepit to fix things around the house and do yard work
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Will probably stay a homeowner for the duration since we like the townhouse and want to stay in the neighborhood. But I sympathize with HaHa's phobias. I would really appreciate the luxury of calling the super when something goes wrong. There are a lot of little things that it is hard to find someone to fix but if you are hand tool handicapped (like me) a DIY job is often an invitation to later problems.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:16 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW wanted to sell suburban house and move awhile back, so I agreed. My criteria was either move into town and have no yard, roof and house stuff to be concerned with, or move to the country with enough land to live a more rural lifestyle. She picked the country. With 8.5 arces on a lake it fit the plan nicely, but the house is bigger and more expensive than we really need. But DW loves it, so ...

After living it this setting for over a year, I expect maintenance costs will be much higher than any other alternative, even after age 65 when school taxes go away. So there is definitely a price to pay for the "perfect" setting. We'll start a garden for fresh vegetables, but I've never been convinced that it really saves much money after seed, fuel, fertilizer etc.

Neighbors can be an issue no matter where you live. You just make the best of it.

I plan to start to travel next year (bought my first tickets to fly across the big pond yesterday), so owning any kind of property will be a problem (and I have rental property also), not to mention the PETS!! We make our lives as simple or as complicated as we choose to make it in order to live in a way that gives us the most individual pleasure. Simple: single, no pets, rent small, less stuff. Complex: married, kids, pets, own home(s), have lots of stuff. Pick your poison.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:18 AM   #16

I have this anxiety ridden feeling that if I don't actually own what I live it then someone is able to ask me to move, so I will always have my own little piece of privacy I guess.
Apartments have restrictions on painting wall and all sorts of rules. Guess I am not a rule-oriented kind of gal, so I say own my own place.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I owned a home for 30 years and loved it until the last 5 years. All the upkeep finally started to wear on me (acreage with 5000sq.ft home).

For the last 10 years, we have rented a nice penthouse and we love the freedom, proximity to shopping, the beach and parks, handy transit, 10 minutes to downtown. Plus the equity from the house sale ($535k) has returned a nice income.

OTOH we have rented our snowbird home for 10 years (two months), but next year we intend to spend 6 months there, so we purchased our Casa in the sun because the economics made sense. I am looking forward to some Home Depot trips until we get it personalized, but it should be manageable because it is a condo. Oh and it has proximity to shopping, the beach and jungle, handy transit, 3 minutes to downtown.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Maybe another kind of condo would suit you better - - perhaps one in a planned community, and maybe laid out more like a house or duplex, but with condo exterior care and convenience? :confused: My brother had one like that in Florida, and it seemed like a good arrangement for a traveler. His was a duplex condo in a planned golf course community, and his neighbor was a pleasant snowbird widow so he had no problems with it (other than the high fees). The community did all the exterior gardening and maintenance. He was a little miffed about all the rules, but that's just the way he is.
Thanks for the suggestion, Want2Retire. I would never live in a condo which would be even more obnoxious than my townhome.

But I'd like to live in a patio home community, and if I could find an affordable place like that I'd go for it. Unfortunately, that's unlikely as I live in a high priced area and I'm not inclined to move very far. Although before real estate tanked, an area builder was planning a new community with patio homes and a HOA. Who knows if it will happen now?
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Couldn't quite answer this poll. Right now I own. I'm not sure what I will do in the future. Renting is extremely attractive due to being able to lock up and leave. But the rent increases are not. Having a small house that is paid for, is extremely attractive but upkeep is not. Right now I have an old cat and dog. So will decide later I guess.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #20

i enjoyed this house when i was fixing it up and planting the garden and working to improve the neighborhood. now the house is mostly done (i left some stuff for the next guy). the garden is overdone (the next guy's gonna love it). and the neighborhood has become so successful that it is no longer where i want to live.

i love the idea of living overseas but i don't think i'd be comfortable purchasing property there. recently i have come to realize that i might be able to move aboard and live overseas. that way i could own sort of my house, live overseas, have advantage of the cost of living savings (which actually seem magnified: cost of renting here vs cost of renting overseas as compared to cost of boating here vs cost of boating overseas).

if i don't like my neighbors or even the neighborhood i'd always be able to move and i'd maintain some cost control with the ability to move to cheaper cruising grounds. how convenient that those cheaper cruising grounds are often the most exotic & beautiful of locations. now all i need is a mate. anyone interested?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote