Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which peanut butter is your favorite? Jelly or no jelly? Check as many as you wish.
Smooth 71 40.80%
Crunchy 86 49.43%
natural/organic, the kind that separates 47 27.01%
With jelly 51 29.31%
Without jelly 47 27.01%
I don't like peanut butter! 13 7.47%
None of these choices apply for me. 2 1.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Crunchy, on wheat bread with a big dollop of honey.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I'm a confirmed almond butter man, though I have heard the future is Nutella. Supposedly the best stuff is found only in Europe. Pass it on...
I sampled and purchased cashew butter at our local farmer's market. Wow, that was good (I like almond butter too). But straight out of the 'fridge, the taste of the cashew butter was killed by the cold. It needs to sit out at room temperature for those flavors to open up.

I'm starting to sound like a wine geek now.

If you search the web, you'll find Peanut Butter of the month, and Peanut Butter & Jelly of the Month clubs. We've been tempted to get one for DS, PB&J sandwiches are a staple for him (and he is a near-gourmet home cook!)

-ERD50

Old 08-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Voted "None of these choices apply for me".

I eat peanuts, and I eat butter. But I believe I have never eaten peanut butter. I think I can eat it (don't see anything bad about it), and will not say that I do not like it, because I just do not know. But I have no impetus to go and try.

There are many food items I have not tried in life, and peanut butter just does not interest me enough to try. It's probably bland. I'd rather try something more unusual, like the chicken jerky I saw recently.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Voted "None of these choices apply for me".

I eat peanuts, and I eat butter. But I believe I have never eaten peanut butter. ...
That's un-American! OK, I think I recall you were not born here, but when in Rome, do as the Romans!

Do you like hummus? There is some similarity to peanut butter, I think. The peanut is a legume, and hummus is made from Chickpeas (a legume).

What about Chicken sate', that is a peanut butter sauce, with hot sauce flavors?

-ERD50
Old 08-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Now I'll need to track down a source for Valencia peanuts in peanut butter. I recall really, really liking Valencia peanuts. I think I've had them in Peanut Butter before, hmmm, the memory banks are failing me.

-ERD50

Trader Joe's carries or used to carry a peanut butter made from Valencia peanuts. I will have to look next visit.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I like the natural kind of PB. It separates unless stored in the fridge. And, when removed from the fridge, it is often too stiff to spread. So, I put the jar into the microwave oven for about 15 seconds to soften it up. That works okay if the jar is glass, but not so well if the jar is plastic because often, despite my best effort to remove it all, there's a >tiny< scrap of the paper/foil seal still stuck to the rim of the jar, and it makes quite a loud light show in the microwave oven.
So, now I spoon out the PB for my sandwich onto a small plate and heat it there.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That's un-American! OK, I think I recall you were not born here, but when in Rome, do as the Romans!

Do you like hummus? There is some similarity to peanut butter, I think. The peanut is a legume, and hummus is made from Chickpeas (a legume).

What about Chicken sate', that is a peanut butter sauce, with hot sauce flavors?

-ERD50
That's right, I was not born here. And when I came, was too old to adopt the habit. Kids here grow up on PB sandwich. Well, perhaps except mine. My wife does eat PB sandwich, but I do not know if she fed the kids.

I can eat hummus, but am indifferent to it. Peanut butter sauce with chicken sate, yes, I am no stranger to it, but not crazy about it either.

Come to think of it, there's probably a jar of JIF in my fridge (the name sounds familiar). However, it can be in my line of vision and is just invisible. It just does not register. Strange?
Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Me too, because I don't need the extra sugar. Not that PB and bread don't have a lot of sugar in them already...

More nutritive value in a banana, but about the same amount of sugar as preserves, i.e. about 14g. Double the jelly for me, though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Peanut butter is an American phenomenon. Following is a sample list of a few countries that do not eat peanut butter, and I would say they are the norm and not the exception.

You Won't Believe How Hard It Is To Find Peanut Butter In These Countries

What's the origin of peanut butter? It was invented at the end of 19th century, but did not become popular until the Great Depression.

The History of Peanut Butter
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is American and has a long history.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's right, I was not born here. And when I came, was too old to adopt the habit. Kids here grow up on PB sandwich. Well, perhaps except mine. My wife does eat PB sandwich, but I do not know if she fed the kids.

I can eat hummus, but am indifferent to it. Peanut butter sauce with chicken sate, yes, I am no stranger to it, but not crazy about it either.

Come to think of it, there's probably a jar of JIF in my fridge (the name sounds familiar). However, it can be in my line of vision and is just invisible. It just does not register. Strange?
Although others will disagree, I don't think of JIF or SKIPPY as very good peanut butters. Like I said, the Trader Joe's does it for me. No added sugars or anything other than roasted peanuts and salt.

Quote:
Peanut butter is an American phenomenon. Following is a sample list of a few countries that do not eat peanut butter, and I would say they are the norm and not the exception.

You Won't Believe How Hard It Is To Find Peanut Butter In These Countries

What's the origin of peanut butter? It was invented at the end of 19th century, but did not become popular until the Great Depression.

The History of Peanut Butter
Interesting. Growing up in USA, we were taught that George Washington Carver invented peanut butter. Or maybe that's just my memory? Something about him developing many uses for the peanut, and that helped farmers in the South. As a legume, I think peanuts capture Nitrogen from the air and fertilize the soil. The South was depleting their land growing cotton. But then we learned how to make nitrogen fertilizer from oil, and everything changed.

Also, George Washington Carver was black (or African American, or Negro, or whatever term they used at the time), so it was a sort of motivational story as well. If this man could succeed with so many obstacles, then surely we should be able to apply ourselves and succeed. At least that's how I read it at the time (the 60's, a time of great racial tensions in the US).

I also recall hearing about how years ago, the US was dropping food and other aid packages by parachute to war torn areas of Afghanistan. The food packs included peanut butter (high in protein, needs no refrigeration, cheap), and there was talk about how a Middle Eastern person would not know that Peanut Butter was food. Really? If I was starving, I'd figure it out. As I said, not that very different from hummus.

-ERD50
Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Even though it is supposedly actuarially neutral, I did not come to this forum to defend my choices in peanut butter!

I simply am looking for people that agree with me to validate my opinions!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:35 AM   #33

I put natural/organic but am not bothered if they are organic or not. I just look for ingredients: 100% peanuts.

I prefer my PB naked, without any jelly.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:33 AM   #34

I love PB. Smooth or chunky, with or without J. Naked or dressed. On bread, crackers, or whatever. It's all good to me.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Crunchy only please, spread on a hamburger bun with red bell pepper slices added (a newly discovered combo). It is now my main go to lunch sandwich.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #36

Wow - only a tiny minority have selected "I don't like peanut butter" (myself included, although I don't really dislike it either). I'm guessing a lot of the non-likers just skipped this thread when they saw the subject line.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #37

Smooth in my chocolate protein shake and Crunchy on celery and anything else. Sometimes in Thai curry.

Cheers!
Old 08-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #38

Natural/smooth eaten by the spoonful out of the jar/container. Usually Smuckers or from the Publix deli. Coal (black lab) also gets a spoonful every evening for a treat. My diet is fairly low carb so no bread/crackers.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
Wow - only a tiny minority have selected "I don't like peanut butter" (myself included, although I don't really dislike it either). I'm guessing a lot of the non-likers just skipped this thread when they saw the subject line.
Many are unable to vote. Used to be able to hit Web view from Android and use polls. Now you can't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't eaten PB for 25 years. But when I did, it was smooth, preferably Jif, my brand of choice. I still have the plastic jars I often use for food storage, though.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote