Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is relocation (at least 100 miles) part of your retirement plan?
I/we moved and/or bought a second home in retirement (ie,snowbirds). 36 25.53%
I/we fully intend to move or buy a second home in retirement, but haven't done it yet. 41 29.08%
I/We haven't moved and don't plan to, happy where we are. 39 27.66%
I/We just don't know yet, or my answer isn't an option. 25 17.73%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sixty miles in Texas is nothing, I agree.

My old residence in Baton Rouge was 66 miles from my new one in New Orleans, but the difference in culture, accent, and more was tremendous. I had moved from a sedate community with a more or less homogenous population that is a good place to raise kids, to an edgy, artsy, singles-friendly, historic city filled with some of the most fascinating characters you can imagine. As for accents, I doubt that many outside NOLA could understand the extreme yat accents of some of my friends here.
Having lived in Baton Rouge for 15 years and visiting New Orleans many times, I fully agree. DD's in-laws lived in New Orleans and moved to Pierre Port so we've spent lots of time in both places as we get on great with them. Pierre Part is only about 80 miles from their old place in Metairie but the community, accent and culture is different again. (very different!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if DoD has any data on how many military retirees stay in the area after their retirement ceremony or whether they move to their dream location.

It's a challenge to get the assignment officer to send you to your desired retirement location for your final tour. Luckily, for my last tour nobody else in the submarine force was itching to come to Hawaii.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I wonder if DoD has any data on how many military retirees stay in the area after their retirement ceremony or whether they move to their dream location.

It's a challenge to get the assignment officer to send you to your desired retirement location for your final tour. Luckily, for my last tour nobody else in the submarine force was itching to come to Hawaii.
Not all military retirees are as savvy and prepared for retirement as you were, though. Seems like a substantial number that we knew didn't feel their military retirement income was enough for their needs. They continued working at a new job and had to go whereever their new career took them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW and I plan to stay where we are -- excellent amenities for aging in place. We are considering renting in different places for a month or two in the winter. Next year probably Naples, Fl, then maybe San Diego, Maui...
Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We moved from our home in the Phoenix area when we cut the cord to a place in the southern mountains of AZ. While 20 degrees cooler in the summer than Phoenix, and not as cold as northern AZ, like Saturday morning we get some snow.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&d=1331588666
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10 March snow.jpg (714.0 KB, 17 views)
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Having lived in Baton Rouge for 15 years and visiting New Orleans many times, I fully agree. DD's in-laws lived in New Orleans and moved to Pierre Port so we've spent lots of time in both places as we get on great with them. Pierre Part is only about 80 miles from their old place in Metairie but the community, accent and culture is different again. (very different!)
So true! I had some friends down south of Lafayette when I lived in BR, and loved their Cajun traditions and culture, warmth, and friendliness. I could more or less understand their fractured French but couldn't speak French like that at all, myself. In fact, the first couple of years after I moved to New Orleans I drove clear out there to see them every month or two because I missed them and that life and culture, yet another that is nearby but so different from New Orleans. But the drive got to be too far, and we drifted apart.

I have never really missed BR itself, but it might be a nice sedate place to grow old, I suppose.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We owned a lakefront property about 30 miles away from our home that we owned for about 5 years. We demolished and rebuilt on the same foundation, moved in and sold our home last October and I ERE'd in December. Getting down to only one property topped up the nestegg and significantly reduced our annual expenses, making ER much more comfortable than it would have been otherwise.

Am considering buying a smaller home in a warm area and becoming a snowbird, but I doubt we will actually pull the trigger unless we find a locale that we fall in love with. Having two properties is too much hassle.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

My Dad made sure his last post was "Ft Sam" where he planned to retire. He bought the house during an earlier tour and then came back, he had it all planned, still there 30 years later...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
We moved from our home in the Phoenix area when we cut the cord to a place in the southern mountains of AZ. While 20 degrees cooler in the summer than Phoenix, and not as cold as northern AZ, like Saturday morning we get some snow.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...1&d=1331588666
Nice pic!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I'm here because this is where I ended up. Have been scouting the 'net to find somebody to live near when I can no longer live alone.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I voted "happy where I am" because, although I have moved to what I hope will be my ER location, I intend to continue to work for some years yet.

Here is a birds' eye view:

Nice!

They don't call is "Super Natural" for nothing.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #32

We plan to move at least two more times, we plan on staying where we are until our son finishes high school (he's 12), RE taxes are really high and neighbors a little too uppity. Then we will migrate near college or if he doesn't want us close, we only move one more time.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #33

Quote:
. When we ER'ed we moved close to our son, which is also a town that is great for walking and cycling and has nice mild winters. We go north for the summers and currently have no fixed location where we spend the summers.
We prefer cooler climes, as they are better for DWs allergies. Spent time in Salida and up in Dubois: allergies in June not an issue. Desert areas too dusty. Since we RV a lot, it's not a problem to find a suitable elevation at will. Too cold, or the snow so heavy it might block access to medical assistance, then we pack up an drive elsewhere for bit.

A bit of land to park the camper as a base might be nice. Still can't talk DW into selling our house though. Not a major issue, but it would be nice not to have to worry about taxes, upkeep, etc.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #34

We will probably move eventually to be closer to children. We like our city and our home is ok, but I'm not really attached to it.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Don't plan on moving- plan on staying with our current home and az vacation condo until we can't handle either or both. Then we'll figure out what to do when the time comes.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I ER'd in 2006 and relocated to Bend, OR. RVing is a big part of our retirement and allows for increased flexibility insofar as to when or where we want to spend our time. For instance, last year we spent 3 months in Alaska and 3 months in San Diego.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I voted "happy where I am" because, although I have moved to what I hope will be my ER location, I intend to continue to work for some years yet.

Here is a birds' eye view:

The BC Interior rocks! I only go there to play, but what a fab place to retire... nice pick.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #38

We own a Lake House about 3+ hours away from our full time residence. It is far enough away that it is an entirely different culture to experience. It feels like living back in the 50's where the neighbors know each other and even visit when passing by. We ride bicycles around the lake and whenever a car passes by we actually wave to one another. We have neighbors who live there full time and have accepted us as one of their own. The first thing they told us when we met them was "to come see them if we ever needed anything" because they know it is too far to run into town to get something that you need quickly. I have done more than my share of asking and have never been turned down. If we didn't have TV to see the news, you would think you were in another period of time.
I always share my bounty of fish with my neighbors and when I do, the filets are cleaned and ready to cook. They appreciate that too.
We go back and forth between the Lake House and our residence and will keep it that way. When we plan our Lake trips and get back up there it is something special to us and we want to keep it that way.
Keeping up two residences also keeps us busy and we like it that way too.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

We bought our 2nd home on the Mongollon Rim, and at 7000ft, it is nice and cool in the summer. It was intended to be the eventual retirement home.

It can get a bit cold in the winter, but that is the price to pay to be cool in the summer. See picture below of the rear deck overlooking a valley (the background was the other side of the valley). This rear deck was where I took the picture of the "heart-stopping" ladder-on-scaffold posted in another thread.

Initially, I thought I would live there full-time, but having had it for 7 years, found that as suburban dwellers all our lives we miss the amenities of large cities. This is in the "boonies", just a small unincorporated town of a few thousand, surrounded by a National Forest.

So, the plan is to keep both places and to play snowbirds in our own state. Yes, AZ is a cool state that has a large climate difference between the low desert and the high region. The 2 houses are a 2.5-hr drive apart.

I will still keep my screen name though, as I will be driving my MH to the NorthWest often. But it is most likely I will die in one of my 2 current homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
...my cousin just purchased their retirement home in Prescott, AZ and they love it! He won't be retiring soon but decided to buy while the market is down and now he gets to use the home during the hot Phoenix summers (where they live now).
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
See picture below of the rear deck overlooking a valley (the background was the other side of the valley). This rear deck was where I took the picture of the "heart-stopping" ladder-on-scaffold posted in another thread.
Holy crap. I've heard of engineering calculations for the deck loading of a BBQ party but I never thought of doing one for snow loading...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote