Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is relocation (at least 100 miles) part of your retirement plan?
I/we moved and/or bought a second home in retirement (ie,snowbirds). 36 25.53%
I/we fully intend to move or buy a second home in retirement, but haven't done it yet. 41 29.08%
I/We haven't moved and don't plan to, happy where we are. 39 27.66%
I/We just don't know yet, or my answer isn't an option. 25 17.73%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We did have a heck of a party with the neighbors one July 4 a few years ago, with about 25 people. No crowding problem there, as the deck is around 900 sqft, I think.

The snow was not as scary as it looks. The intense sunshine and the clear sky of AZ mean that the snow tends to melt off between storms and I have never had it accumulated to more than 2ft deep on the deck (it is south-facing).

The wind is something else though. Being on a hill top means wind gusts of 50-60 mph are quite frequent. It was bad enough to blow furniture off the deck, but so far the house is still standing. Knock on wood!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I'm seriously considering a 2nd home/condo on the AL coast. I love it there and have family in the area, but have lot's of friends in my little home town here in MS. So I plan to keep a home base here and hopefully find something reasonable in Orange Beach. Rent it for maybe 2/3 of the year to help cover some of the cost. My house here is small and doesn't require a lot of upkeep.

Still in the thinking stage........

Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #43

We may turn out to be "reverse snowbirds". We love it here from about November to April, but the summers are horrible. Many Northerners come south for the winter; we may end up staying here but going north for the summer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We may turn out to be "reverse snowbirds". We love it here from about November to April, but the summers are horrible. Many Northerners come south for the winter; we may end up staying here but going north for the summer.
I might do a little of that too. Head to the mountains during August. Maybe I can talk Brewer into renting me that cabin he plans to build. Are mountain lions on the prowl during the summer?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We bought our 2nd home on the Mongollon Rim, and at 7000ft, it is nice and cool in the summer. It was intended to be the eventual retirement home.
I noted the spelling difference (but online you never know), but I had to Google that one to make sure your second home wasn't north of China. After looking at some other pics, it does look like a beautiful area, congrats!

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My DS is in Dallas and parents in SA, they say it's gotten worse and unbearable in summer too. They report aquifer levels to me weekly too...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We moved. We lived in NY, that's a place for working people. Way too expensive for no earned income folks like us.
+1
Our property taxes are about one-tenth what they would be in the NY suburbs - on a house of similar size with more property.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #48

Shortly after retirement we moved from Toronto to Canmore (near Banff) Alberta. Great skiing in the winter and biking in the summer. Kept our condo in Toronto and our lake house 200kms away. Enjoy Canmore but winters got pretty long. Just bought a house in Arizona where we will spend about 4 months each fall/winter/spring. That makes 4 places and it will be interesting to see how it works out. We are planning less international travel. Probably a little over invested in real estate but we like having such disparate places ie dessert/mountains/lakefront/urban.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #49

I was renting in expensive Silicon Valley when I retired so of course I moved

I guess I am lucky because I like warm weather. I honestly don't understand why Americans seem to like such cool climates (I even tried to google this, ha ha), but that means I can locate myself where other people don't seem to want to be which leads to a certain economization.

My climate issue is that there is no climate warm enough for me in the USA in the winter, except perhaps marginally ultra-south Florida and Texas. I even try to avoid Southern California from mid-October to mid-April. So that gives me an excuse to travel abroad to warmer pastures
Old 03-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #50

If you scratch the 'we' then my answer to intend to move is correct. DW has not gotten used to the idea yet.

When I was calculating Roth converstin options in a huge spreadsheet model, I happened upon the state income tax factor. A no income tax state made a much, much larger impact than anything I could do on the roth conversion front. Besides, my family lives in Florida, and her parents, living here won't last forever, hehe.

--Dale--
Old 03-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #51

We downsized and moved from the Seattle metro area, 300 miles East to the "dry side" and university town living. Love the activities and vitality of university town life, not too mention a substantial cost of living drop from leaving the "big city". REALLY do not miss the congestion of Puget Sound but still find ourselves battling for visits to DD and DW family. At least we do not commute in it any longer. ;-)
Nwsteve
Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

One moment DH and I want to purchase a vacation/second home somewhere in the mountains and the next we just want to rent a place (in different locals) for a few months each year. Not sure if we'll ever be able to pull the trigger on this decision.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I noted the spelling difference (but online you never know), but I had to Google that one to make sure your second home wasn't north of China.
Thanks for pointing out my misspelling. Doggone it! One would think I can remember to spell it right after being in the state for 37 years.

For the record, the Mogollon Rim (not Mongollon) was named after Don Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollon, governor of the province of New Mexico in the 1700’s.

The proper Spanish pronunciation is moh-goh-YOHN, but the locals say muggy-YOHN.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I want to leave this area eventually, but not enough to do something concrete about it. Inertia is the order of the day.
Mr B and I have discussed moving to MA or NH, and then realized it would not w*rk out too well financially.
Our latest discussions involve letting him finish his college courses, sit for the CPA exam (which I know he will pass), and then plan on what we really want to do.
He will either w*rk independently as a CPA (using a spare bedroom in the house as his office) or sign on with a small local firm for PT w*rk to increase his SS earnings a bit. He can collect SS in less than 2 years. I have 2.5 years until I can collect on my own FERS deferred retirement.
Snowbirding could only happen if we relocated into a condo locally. The winters here are too harsh to leave a single family house unoccupied. I know of people whose vacant homes were ruined by bursting pipes and snow/ice damage of all sorts. I do not wish to tread that path.

So for now we do nothing...
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Yes, here's a classic example on the Web as to what could happen.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I relocated in 1995 with my late husband when he retired . We moved to Venice ,Fl. I loved the area but unfortunately he only had two years in retirement before he passed of a sudden heart attack .I thought about moving back to New Jersey but my life just formed in Florida so here I am .I moved to the northern border of Sarasota in 2001 and have been here ever since .Moral of the story . Never move to an area you would feel uncomfortable living alone in .
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #57

My original "retirement plan" was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what that machine was for. Alas, it was not to be.

DW didn't want to go that far from family, and in hindsight she was right. She'd have been miserable, and as every guy knows, "if she ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".

But my major incentive to move was escaping the insane Washington, DC area traffic and having to plan every move around it. DW's criteria was to be within an hour of family so where we are in WV met both major criteria. Even better, as family is now an easy 35-minute drive for her vs. an hour where we were before.

And really, it's only too cold two or three months of the year so I can live with that. All of my family has since moved to DE so there are no ties to the DC area now anyway.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #58

Will move from Japan to our home in California at the end of this stint, and wind-down my career from there. I imagine that in about 10-15 years, we will sell the big house, downsize, and move closer to one of the kids, if they are stable and if it doesn't look like they'll need to move for career purposes. We may also try to rent a place in Hawaii for a few months a year, when we are done here. We'll at least do it once, and if we like it, we'll either rinse & repeat, or buy a small condo there.

R
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Belmont, NC Here we come!

On April 2nd the DW and I move out of our SOLD house in MI, and head down to our brand new home in Belmont, NC. The new house is our "present" to ourselves, and is designed just for us (with some space for visitors). The area is green and rolling, the climate is nicer, and the COL is reasonable. We'll be semi-retired for a few years, maybe working two days a week each.

My brother and SIL are already retired and live less then ten minutes away across the Catawba River in Charlotte. Downtown Charlotte is only 20 minutes away, so we have the benefits of a sophisicated city, with good medical infrastructure. Belmont is a charming town of 10,000 and has a nice downtown, festivals, and a friendly reputation.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I might do a little of that too. Head to the mountains during August. Maybe I can talk Brewer into renting me that cabin he plans to build. Are mountain lions on the prowl during the summer?
Sure; but they love beer.

Ha