Poll: The annual "horrible Christmas carol" poll

All time worst holiday Song

• Grandma got run over by a reindeer? really? elder abuse

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • The Chipmunks Christmas song.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Santa Baby, lol, doesn't he have a wife!!

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • I want a hippopotamus for Christmas

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Other...

Votes: 28 36.4%

• Total voters
I don't mind the OLDER Christmas songs...but dislike the remakes. I noticed that you can stream SiriusXM without an account (not sure how) and they have a channel called "Holiday Traditions" which seems to play stuff from the 60's and older. I will admit that it does put me in a better mood if I am in a "funk".

I am not a religious person, but enjoy the season...AT HOME. I don't like the added traffic and rudeness that crops up around Thanksgiving, but my DW loves her decorations and I will admit that it makes our wonderful home even more inviting. I did splurge this year and bought my own decoration, and it's displayed in our front window... :D

Attachments

• 28434_2000x2000.jpg
    28434_2000x2000.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 21
I don't mind the OLDER Christmas songs...but dislike the remakes. I noticed that you can stream SiriusXM without an account (not sure how) and they have a channel called "Holiday Traditions" which seems to play stuff from the 60's and older. I will admit that it does put me in a better mood if I am in a "funk".

I am not a religious person, but enjoy the season...AT HOME. I don't like the added traffic and rudeness that crops up around Thanksgiving, but my DW loves her decorations and I will admit that it makes our wonderful home even more inviting. I did splurge this year and bought my own decoration, and it's displayed in our front window... :D
Lol that is actually one of my favorite holiday movies.

I guess I am an outlier.. I love the holiday season. I enjoy going to the local mall to people watch and shop, I like Christmas music, and I even like watching the sappy Christmas movies on Hallmark!:LOL:

I associate that song with spending several Christmases in Great Britain, where of course anything Sir Paul records gets lots of play.
If you don't actually listen to the words, it's not bad for background good-cheer sounds.

I hate to join in disparaging former Beatles, but I can't stand McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas time".

Sir Paul probably felt some pressure to record his own yuletide song, but he just mailed it in on this one.

Now, having had to consider the poll question, that annoying tune is stuck in my head. Simply having... Arrgh!

Wow - so many people don't like "Little Drummer Boy". When I was in 1st grade we did a play and we ALL got to be little drummer children, playing with unsharpened pencils on our drums made out of a coffee can with a piece of construction paper taped to the outside (colored and decorated by the to-be drummer). That song has such good memories for me. And it's one of my favorites :) Don't hate me LOL

Little Drummer Boy is one of my favorites. I like the simplicity of it. I'm putting up my Christmas tree and some decorations today. Nobody will likely see them except my housekeeper and me but I enjoy looking at them so that is okay. I wanted to declutter and get rid of all but my favorite decorations but am having a hard time letting go of anything.

Last edited:
I actually like Grama Got Run Over by a Reindeer. Call me odd. I always sing along to it.

Little Drummer Boy is one of my favorites. Grandma Got Runover was funny the first few dozen times but I'm over it?

I think I could stand never hearing that "Baby it's cold outside" song again. It's such a stupid song. Worse - it come up on Pandora and since we listen to Pandora on a app through the TV, there's no "dislike"/thumbs down button. Please make it stop! There may be others that I like less, but that's the one I dislike the most which they play most frequently.

I voted "other". This one gets my vote:

Up until now, I had escaped hearing that song. This is NOT a thank you note.:D

That's a new low in tastelessness.

I voted other.
I detest the song "The Little Drummer Boy", especially the obnoxious refrain. I don't care who sings or how its arranged, its like nails on a chalk board to me.

Yup, same here. I'll be keeping the car radio simply turned off from now until December 26th.

To me, obnoxious Christmas music in stores is one more reason to shop online. I hate all of it. Bah humbug!

Ah, a lady after my own heart!:LOL:

........A close second is the 12 Days of Christmas where we get to hear the same lines repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

Completely agree, that stupid endless repetition drives me crazy.

For a regular type song, Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" is just a bad song.

I think I could stand never hearing that "Baby it's cold outside" song again. It's such a stupid song. Worse - it come up on Pandora and since we listen to Pandora on a app through the TV, there's no "dislike"/thumbs down button. Please make it stop! There may be others that I like less, but that's the one I dislike the most which they play most frequently.

They aren't Christmas songs, but I hate it when TV ads butcher an otherwise good song by changing the lyrics to fit the ad. Two of them in recent months include a Honda ad using the song "Holiday Road" from the movie, "Vacation." Another is a This is Boss ad using the song "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor. Whenever either of these ads air I have to mute them or change the channel, I find it truly awful the way they have ruined these two good songs. Kinda like how I change the radio station in the car this month when a Xmas song airs.

I would go stark raving mad if I had to work in a retail establishment and listen to this stuff all day every day for a month. I suppose those poor folks manage to tune it out, but I can't imagine how.

The Bowie/Crosby version of drummer boy is one of my faves. The christmas-rewrite of Hallelujah is usually not the greatest lyrically, but this version last year from a school assembly in the UK is going to be on my good-list for a while:

Thanks for the great chuckles in reading the responses on this thread! I will go back and listen to some of the links (I think I will pass on Tiny Tim) when I get a chance. Right now I am 30 minutes into a terminal hold with Quicken support :banghead: so I can't interrupt the phone call.

"Other"- definitely "The Little Drummer Boy"

In the mid-1960s my mother picked up a Robert Shaw Chorale album called "Joy to the World"- it was all the old classic carols, including some English translations of French ones. I loved that- I played it for years till it was scratchy. Later she bought an album by the Ray Coniff singers- songs in the hokey "Frosty the Snowman" category. I couldn't stand the forced heartiness and merriment.

Sometimes it's just the context that's jarring. I once heard the Hallelujah Chorus played in the grocery store. Poor George Frederik Handel- he must have spun in his grave.

Nick Lowe put out a Christmas album a couple years ago -- one of the best tunes is an original called "Christmas at the Airport" about a guy -- you guessed it -- snowed in at the airport on Christmas. Witty and warm.

Among the classics, I've always enjoyed The Drifters' version of "White Christmas."

Man, what a bunch of Scrooges! While I admit that some Christmas songs have been overdone, and some others don't quite reach the level of "art", they're just songs. Certainly no worse than what gets played on radio stations every day of the year. If something comes on and you don't want to hear it, switch stations or turn off the machine. If you're getting inundated because you are spending too much time in the mall, well, you have bigger issues than Christmas songs.

By the way, I differentiate between Christmas Carols and Christmas songs. IMHO none of the songs listed in the poll are Christmas Carols. O Holy Night is a Christmas Carol. And a damn good one.

Thanks, listening to it now.. This is GREAT...

Its really great as it plays songs without ad's (ok after 5 songs there was a 6 second ad for Sirius radio).

And you can listen to other channels besides Christmas music (I'm listening to 60's and sometimes 70's).

https://player.siriusxm.com/#/player/live

[emoji23]

For instrumental Christmas music, I love Mannheim Steamroller. I wish they still toured. Saw them a couple of times in the 90's and really enjoyed their shows.

This year we are going to a Dave Koz show with Rick Braun, David Benoit & Peter White. Good way to get into the Christmas spirit!

There are many to hate, but only one to love.

Back
Top Bottom