Grandma got run over by a reindeer? really? elder abuse 15 19.48%
The Chipmunks Christmas song. 15 19.48%
Santa Baby, lol, doesn't he have a wife!! 7 9.09%
I want a hippopotamus for Christmas 12 15.58%
Other... 28 36.36%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back in my FM radio days, I couldn't wait to hear the first playing of "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano. For some reason as I've gotten older, many of the classics are just not that enjoyable. Bing Crosby's version of White Christmas is such a slow dirge....makes me want to stick a needle in my eye.
I now gravitate toward holiday instrumentals. Stuff like Jim Brickman, Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clfdallas View Post
I voted other.
I detest the song "The Little Drummer Boy", especially the obnoxious refrain. I don't care who sings or how its arranged, its like nails on a chalk board to me.

Yes, I agree.The Little Drummer Boy is just awful.

A close second is the 12 Days of Christmas where we get to hear the same lines repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

It's a shame really because if one celebrates the 12 days of Christmas (12/25 through 1/6 for those of you not among the cognoscenti ) it's a chance to stretch out a wonderful holiday time of giving, sharing and just enjoying friends and family. I like to celebrate all 12 days, especially since by then the stores and malls have ended their desecration of the holiday and moved on to ruining New Years, Valentine s Day, Presidents Day etc. While their Christmas comes to a crashing halt on the 26th, I still have 11 more days to go.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

One of the nice things about being a retired INTJ who lives alone, doesn't entertain, and doesn't do much at all for Christmas, is that I haven't yet heard any Christmas music at all this year. Not even any of the really beautiful Christmas songs, much less the worst ones.

When Christmas gets closer, I'll probably go to youtube and listen to some that I like.

I am one of the very few who actually likes The Little Drummer Boy. I am not familiar with any of those songs on the list, other than Grandma got Run Over by a Reindeer which I think is just stupid and juvenile.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #24

OTOH, I have one album I truly enjoy listening to at this time of year (mainly in the car). One man, one acoustic guitar, purely instrumental.

The New Possibility: John Fahey's Guitar Soli Christmas Album
Quote:
John Fahey has made a habit of recording a new album of Christmas music every five or six years, but The New Possibility, which was originally released in 1968, is still his best. On it, Fahey has pulled off the near miraculous feat of taking old holiday chestnuts like "Joy to the World" and "It Came upon a Midnight Clear" and making them sound fresh.
I've enjoyed this album immensely ever since I bought it on vinyl 40 years ago. Highly recommended.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All of them. I wish I could find a station playing music I like that DIDN'T play Christmas music.

On Thanksgiving, I was listening to my favorite country radio station when they started playing a Mariah Carey Christmas song...

A. It was THANKSGIVING.... can't you avoid playing songs for another holiday ON AN ACTUAL HOLIDAY??
B. Mariah Carey is NOT a country artist.
C. Christmas songs are NOT country music.

So why were my ears being assaulted with that crap on Thanksgiving??
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I don't mind the OLDER Christmas songs...but dislike the remakes. I noticed that you can stream SiriusXM without an account (not sure how) and they have a channel called "Holiday Traditions" which seems to play stuff from the 60's and older. I will admit that it does put me in a better mood if I am in a "funk".

I am not a religious person, but enjoy the season...AT HOME. I don't like the added traffic and rudeness that crops up around Thanksgiving, but my DW loves her decorations and I will admit that it makes our wonderful home even more inviting. I did splurge this year and bought my own decoration, and it's displayed in our front window...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28434_2000x2000.jpg (510.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #27

Dislike all the songs listed.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I don't mind the OLDER Christmas songs...but dislike the remakes. I noticed that you can stream SiriusXM without an account (not sure how) and they have a channel called "Holiday Traditions" which seems to play stuff from the 60's and older. I will admit that it does put me in a better mood if I am in a "funk".

I am not a religious person, but enjoy the season...AT HOME. I don't like the added traffic and rudeness that crops up around Thanksgiving, but my DW loves her decorations and I will admit that it makes our wonderful home even more inviting. I did splurge this year and bought my own decoration, and it's displayed in our front window...
Lol that is actually one of my favorite holiday movies.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I guess I am an outlier.. I love the holiday season. I enjoy going to the local mall to people watch and shop, I like Christmas music, and I even like watching the sappy Christmas movies on Hallmark!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I associate that song with spending several Christmases in Great Britain, where of course anything Sir Paul records gets lots of play.
If you don't actually listen to the words, it's not bad for background good-cheer sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
I hate to join in disparaging former Beatles, but I can't stand McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas time".

Sir Paul probably felt some pressure to record his own yuletide song, but he just mailed it in on this one.

Now, having had to consider the poll question, that annoying tune is stuck in my head. Simply having... Arrgh!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #31

Wow - so many people don't like "Little Drummer Boy". When I was in 1st grade we did a play and we ALL got to be little drummer children, playing with unsharpened pencils on our drums made out of a coffee can with a piece of construction paper taped to the outside (colored and decorated by the to-be drummer). That song has such good memories for me. And it's one of my favorites Don't hate me LOL
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #32

Little Drummer Boy is one of my favorites. I like the simplicity of it. I'm putting up my Christmas tree and some decorations today. Nobody will likely see them except my housekeeper and me but I enjoy looking at them so that is okay. I wanted to declutter and get rid of all but my favorite decorations but am having a hard time letting go of anything.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually like Grama Got Run Over by a Reindeer. Call me odd. I always sing along to it.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #34

Little Drummer Boy is one of my favorites. Grandma Got Runover was funny the first few dozen times but I'm over it?
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #35

I think I could stand never hearing that "Baby it's cold outside" song again. It's such a stupid song. Worse - it come up on Pandora and since we listen to Pandora on a app through the TV, there's no "dislike"/thumbs down button. Please make it stop! There may be others that I like less, but that's the one I dislike the most which they play most frequently.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I voted "other". This one gets my vote:

Up until now, I had escaped hearing that song. This is NOT a thank you note.

That's a new low in tastelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clfdallas View Post
I voted other.
I detest the song "The Little Drummer Boy", especially the obnoxious refrain. I don't care who sings or how its arranged, its like nails on a chalk board to me.
Yup, same here. I'll be keeping the car radio simply turned off from now until December 26th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
To me, obnoxious Christmas music in stores is one more reason to shop online. I hate all of it. Bah humbug!
Ah, a lady after my own heart!
Old 12-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
........A close second is the 12 Days of Christmas where we get to hear the same lines repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.
Completely agree, that stupid endless repetition drives me crazy.

For a regular type song, Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" is just a bad song.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I think I could stand never hearing that "Baby it's cold outside" song again. It's such a stupid song. Worse - it come up on Pandora and since we listen to Pandora on a app through the TV, there's no "dislike"/thumbs down button. Please make it stop! There may be others that I like less, but that's the one I dislike the most which they play most frequently.
They aren't Christmas songs, but I hate it when TV ads butcher an otherwise good song by changing the lyrics to fit the ad. Two of them in recent months include a Honda ad using the song "Holiday Road" from the movie, "Vacation." Another is a This is Boss ad using the song "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor. Whenever either of these ads air I have to mute them or change the channel, I find it truly awful the way they have ruined these two good songs. Kinda like how I change the radio station in the car this month when a Xmas song airs.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #39

I would go stark raving mad if I had to work in a retail establishment and listen to this stuff all day every day for a month. I suppose those poor folks manage to tune it out, but I can't imagine how.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
How can you top Ozzy Osbourne and Jessica Simpson?

I am going to wash my eyes with soap.
Thanks Music Lover.

Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote