Santa Baby, lol, doesn't he have a wife!! 7 9.09%
I want a hippopotamus for Christmas 12 15.58%
Other... 28 36.36%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: The annual "horrible Christmas carol" poll
Old 12-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll: The annual "horrible Christmas carol" poll

Generally I'm a big lover of the holidays, "goodwill to men and raise a glass type" of gal. I also like Christmas carols, I will admit I liked them better back in the old days when they did not start playing them in October but that's a gripe for another day.

Anyhoo, there are some songs though that have me ready to celebrate Hanukkah.

My all time, cringe worthy song...That stupid chipmunks song..I hate that song with nuclear capability.

runners up.

James brown's "santa clause go straight to the Ghetto". really James?, most folks are trying to get "out" of the hood.

and the Christmas shoes because nothing says happy holidays like hearing about some kid trying to buy shoes for his dying mother.

I included a poll but realize that there are so many candidates. feel free to add your own.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I voted "other". This one gets my vote:

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:30 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My all-time hate, because of its treacle, bouncy meter, and gender-specific toy references, is "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas." I have loathed that song since I was a little girl, who wanted (but did not receive) boys' toys, and didn't like dolls.

I also don't like Wham's "Last Christmas" (treacly, earworm, creepy references to wrapping heart in paper and putting it in a box) or "Santa Baby" (just plain icky).

I love novelty Christmas songs, the sillier/rauncher/edgier the better. I know it's wicked of me, but I know all the words to "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." It's not elder abuse, it's a cautionary tale. Grandma was obviously unpopular, Grandpa is happier with her gone, and she basically dug her own grave by drinking too much eggnog, not taking her medication, and staggering out the door into the snow despite family's efforts to stop her.
Pa rup a dumb dumb
Old 12-05-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pa rup a dumb dumb

I voted other.
I detest the song "The Little Drummer Boy", especially the obnoxious refrain. I don't care who sings or how its arranged, its like nails on a chalk board to me.
clfdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:48 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clfdallas View Post
I voted other.
I detest the song "The Little Drummer Boy", especially the obnoxious refrain. I don't care who sings or how its arranged, its like nails on a chalk board to me.
+1

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I voted other.
That would be my candidate as well.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I love novelty Christmas songs, the sillier/rauncher/edgier the better. I know it's wicked of me, but I know all the words to "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer." ....
+1. The McKenzie brothers' "twelve days ..." also brings a smile to my face.

(And I am with bclover in detesting the chipmunks christmas song!)
Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Novelty songs don't bother me as long as they die out after a year. I object to every artist producing a Christmas Album. It was a novelty when Elvis did it, but it got old quickly.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #9
Administrator

Annie Lennox is one of my favorite artists, but her version of “God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman” is cringeworthy.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

"...and a beer...in a tree!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
+1. The McKenzie brothers' "twelve days ..." also brings a smile to my face.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 AM   #11

There are two radio stations locally that play every version of every Christmas, oops, "holiday" song through December 25th. Don't use those buttons on the car radio during that time.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

To me, obnoxious Christmas music in stores is one more reason to shop online. I hate all of it. Bah humbug!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I was, and still remain, a bit of a "Grinch". Didn't know it at the time, but I suffer from light deprivation seasonal depression so growing up in the extreme northern midwest made me a miserable person and a miserable person to be around during the Christmas season.

I've moved South and it has considerably eased the seasonal depression, along with the knowledge of why I feel so down this time of year, but I continue to cringe at most Holiday music.

I think it's the repetitious play. You can't seem to get away from it, every store, every outside walking mall....if I hear "frosty the snowman" one more time........

Those of us that cringe can grin and bear it for a few weeks, thankfully only about 6 weeks, to give pleasure to those fortunate souls that seem to enjoy it.
MOSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted for "other". Can't stand "Merry Xmas (War is Over)". I think it's Yoko's voice that gets me.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
There are two radio stations locally that play every version of every Christmas, oops, "holiday" song through December 25th. Don't use those buttons on the car radio during that time.
My favorite (music) radio stations plays a lot of Christmas songs this time of year, of course, and it becomes difficult (and annoying) to keep having to switch to different stations on the car radio to find one which isn't playing a Christmas song or isn't in a 3 or 4-minute commercial break.

Being born Jewish but have been an atheist since I was 13 (41 years ago), this time of year holds no meaning to me at all. Just get me to December 26th as soon as possible so all the holiday stuff can go away, from the songs on the radio to the TV ads to holiday decorations. I'm a Scrooge, and I'm damn proud of it!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I voted other.
Add me to this. I change the radio station when it comes on in the car.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Being born Jewish but have been an atheist since I was 13 (41 years ago), this time of year holds no meaning to me at all. Just get me to December 26th as soon as possible so all the holiday stuff can go away, from the songs on the radio to the TV ads to holiday decorations. I'm a Scrooge, and I'm damn proud of it!
Matunda ya Kwanzaa! Joyous Kwanza!
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep, me too on Little Drummer Boy as my most disliked
Christmas song.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
John and George happy to be gone
Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #19

John and George happy to be gone

I hate to join in disparaging former Beatles, but I can't stand McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas time".

Sir Paul probably felt some pressure to record his own yuletide song, but he just mailed it in on this one.

Now, having had to consider the poll question, that annoying tune is stuck in my head. Simply having... Arrgh!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #20

How can you top Ozzy Osbourne and Jessica Simpson?

Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote