Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What are the top 3 reasons you retired/want to retire?
The middle class is dead. 2 2.13%
Youíve been replaced (by technology). 2 2.13%
Corporations donít like you. 14 14.89%
Money is not happiness. 45 47.87%
Count right now how many people can make a major decision that can ruin your life. 16 17.02%
Your job is not satisfying your needs. 69 73.40%
Your Retirement Plan is For ****. 3 3.19%
Excuses (your own). 17 18.09%
Itís okay to take baby steps. 2 2.13%
Abundance will never come from your job. 30 31.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_knows View Post
I'm still at least a decade out, so excuse my ignorance, but isn't the reason that every single one of you FIRE'd was because you determined that it was financially feasible? I'm sure there were other reasons pushing you, but I can't imagine someone waking up one day and saying to themselves "You know what? W*rk is just not fulfilling my desires. I think it's time to quit." without going over their finances.

But, maybe that's just the influence that w*rk has over me....
I think this group as a general rule is not the type to throw caution to the wind. As much as we want out, often for many years, we feel enough responsibility (especially those of us supporting other people besides ourselves) to "tough it out" until the numbers clearly work so you don't have to.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #22

I notice that one mostly constant thing amongst FIRE'd / want to FIRE people is that they want to spend more time with the spouse/family. There are a couple of people I know that work long hours so they don't have to go home.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

In addition to Dory's 2-bucket reason, I retired because DW would not retire from her toxic job if I was not retired.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing on the list fit.

New owners made me a financial offer I couldn't refuse: "Stay and lose your old employment contract or leave and we'll buy you out."
Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
....... "tough it out" until the numbers clearly work so you don't have to.
Reminds me of something I said when I ERed and later posted here:

"I want my money to work for me instead of me working for my money!"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #26

I guess I don't relate with any of the reasons on the list, so I didn't vote. Others have said it well. My money bucket was full enough and then some, but the BS bucket was overflowing (actually had been that way for a while), and, I was beginning to see that if I didn't make a change, it would likely kill me within a couple of years. All of that said, I am still less than a month out, and I do have days with terrible separation anxiety. I'm sure it will resolve on its own given time to decompress. I did want to retire into Spring instead of into the dead of winter...which I think would have helped in my case. The cold damp days with nothing to do are the days on which I seem to suffer the most...for the moment. The warm and sunny days seem to be ok.

R
Old 01-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm still at least a decade out, so excuse my ignorance, but isn't the reason that every single one of you FIRE'd was because you determined that it was financially feasible? I'm sure there were other reasons pushing you, but I can't imagine someone waking up one day and saying to themselves "You know what? W*rk is just not fulfilling my desires. I think it's time to quit." without going over their finances.

But, maybe that's just the influence that w*rk has over me....
Yes, that's what it boils down to.

I really like my work, as a part-time consultant doing software/hardware design and analysis work for some really unique and weird stuff, who sets his own hours, and often even works at home. However, though I am fairly well compensated (still nowhere like a lawyer though, darn it!), as my stash grows, I feel that my time should be worth more. Eventually, I priced myself out of the market, though there was still a lot of work for me.

I could be bribed with more money (yes, I am greedy and willing to delay that travel for some $), but these "cheap" people do not want to pay it.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, that's what it boils down to.

I really like my work, as a part-time consultant doing software/hardware design and analysis work for some really unique and weird stuff, who sets his own hours, and often even works at home. However, though I am fairly well compensated (still nowhere like a laywer though, darn it!)
Sounds pretty sweet. Sign me up! I'm a software/hardware Test Director for the gubmint, and don't know what it feels like to work from home.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I don't identify with any of the reasons. I ER'd because I had saved enough to do so and no longer could motivate myself to go to work.

+1 So I picked work didn't satisfy me.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #30

None of the above. Retirement was sort of foisted upon us 2 years ahead of plan because major employer went belly-up. It was get out with what we could, or potentially lose some/most/all of it, and we did lose some anyway (bankrupt companies can reneg on some promises).

However there are other reasons than those listed:
Health
Having had enough of it
Having better things to do...

Tyro
Old 01-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sign me up! I'm a software/hardware Test Director for the gubmint, and don't know what it feels like to work from home.
I could only sign you up as an outsource, so that I could play middleman and take some cuts. My fee is pretty steep, and you might not like to work for what's left. Have you seen the recent thread about a US guy outsourcing to a Chinese guy?

Anyway, some of my works were 1099, and truly independent where I worked at home and used my own resources. Others were W2 jobs, which were more like job shopping. People would let me work at home only because they knew me for a long time, and trusted me. Even so, I often had to use the resources that they provided because they wanted to retain control of it. And there was still the need for frequent face time, for coordination as well as for various meetings, etc...

It was not a bad situation for me, really. But I worked so hard, and produced so much that I thought I deserved more. These chintzy people did not think so.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #32

I'm retiring because my job doesn't serve my needs- my need for more time off work. I don't have enough time to do all of the personal things I want to do, so work needs to go.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'm also "none of the above."

When I was in my early teens, I realized that the "standard" retirement age was 65. I saw how hard my father was working just to make ends meet, and I saw how much my grandparents were looking forward to retirement which was just a few years off. With those thoughts in mind, I set myself a personal goal of beating the standard by ten years and retiring when I hit 55.

I was ready, but still stuck in the "one more year" syndrome, when the place I w*rked at was acquired by a megacorp and about 1/3 of us were laid off. I was not quite 55 1/2 years old, and my old promise to myself suddenly surfaced in my mind. No-brainer! I never looked back and have been thoroughly enjoying it for over a decade.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm retiring because my job doesn't serve my needs- my need for more time off work. I don't have enough time to do all of the personal things I want to do, so work needs to go.
None fit exactly, so I chose "Excuses", but this fits pretty closely...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

My job was interesting and I worked with great people. but it also entailed a long commute so I spent the weekdays out of state and only weekends at home. So...I retired when financially able in order to be with family and do all of those things that I could only rarely experience with my commuting lifestyle. It was also time for something different after a lengthy, enjoyable, military/civil service career. All in all, the change has been great
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #36

Quote:
I don't identify with any of the reasons. I ER'd because I had saved enough to do so and no longer could motivate myself to go to work.
+1
Old 01-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think this group as a general rule is not the type to throw caution to the wind. As much as we want out, often for many years, we feel enough responsibility (especially those of us supporting other people besides ourselves) to "tough it out" until the numbers clearly work so you don't have to.
+1
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can't identify either. I would have picked none of the above given the choice.

I ER'd because I could afford to, and I had a ton of other things I wanted to do/accomplish that were not work-oriented.

Maybe an item that would fit into the spirit of your list would be: "There is far more to life than work".
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler
I guess I don't relate with any of the reasons on the list, so I didn't vote. Others have said it well. My money bucket was full enough and then some, but the BS bucket was overflowing (actually had been that way for a while), and, I was beginning to see that if I didn't make a change, it would likely kill me within a couple of years. All of that said, I am still less than a month out, and I do have days with terrible separation anxiety. I'm sure it will resolve on its own given time to decompress. I did want to retire into Spring instead of into the dead of winter...which I think would have helped in my case. The cold damp days with nothing to do are the days on which I seem to suffer the most...for the moment. The warm and sunny days seem to be ok.

R
Rambler,

You better find something to fill your days or you might end up back working like me. I'm the poster child for quitting because I was total burned out, but without a plan on what I would actually DO after I quit. I went from 12 hour days to an empty house (wife working and kids at school), and I only lasted 2 years. I'm now semi-retired working 2-3 hours a day and very happy.

I'm not saying it will happen to you, but I am saying it's hard to go from Type A to house cleaner.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

All these reasons seem to assume that people want to work in the first place. I never did. I always had plenty of better things to do. I want to get away while I can still do some of them!

Amethyst